The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

21 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Signed a goalie that can't play on a Saturday???

Sounds very Juniorish.

It's apparently more that he can't train during the week, but yeah, very 'juniorish' indeed.

That was much better yesterday. We have a squad of mostly limited players but the gap was nearly bridged by sheer determination and hard graft. The midfield actually got the ball on the deck quite a bit this week and McGeouch was the stand-out bursting forward whenever he could. Young Guthrie was excellent when he came on too and must be getting near a start.

We absolutely lack width so I'm not sure Hampden will suit us next week, but similar levels of graft should see us run QP close. Some quicker touches in the box too, and who knows, we may even score.

I went along yesterday after not being able to make the Peterhead game. Rovers were a lot better than I'd anticipated. For me, the standout player was deservedly given MOTM, the young wing back Lawrence McMahon. Very promising. The one time he was badly caught out he instantly made up for it. McGeouch was good too and Gracie came the closest to scoring when he came on with a lovely turn and shot. Maybe Gracie and Cunningham would be a good option together although you'll probably tell me that's been tried already. Elgin were probably behind on possession but had the best efforts on goal. Potts made a brilliant save from Beattie and then there was the bizarre miss when goalie and defender collided, the player went round them, set up his team mate with an open goal except for one Rovers defender bang in the centre of it and he hits it straight at him!

The programme is another very good effort but it really should have a list of fixtures. Nothing whatsoever about upcoming matches.

Sad to see the crowd was only 275. I dread to think what it might be if you drop down. I wish you all the best for the rest of the season and I'll no doubt be back soon. 

Must admit a big improvement on what I seen two weeks ago at Edinburgh City.

Defence looked a lot more tighter, you got the ball down and tried to play a bit football instead of shelling it continually and Rovers looked organised. Only worrying point for me is the final third because from a neutral point of view despite plenty of endeavour to get there not a lot was happening when they got there. 

A couple of big games coming up and if you can grab a win or two your back in the mix.

Believe it or not they appear to be mobilizing in their own forum.

The penny finally dropped for some of them a week or 2 ago.

I think I stated on here before league or League Cup started that this team if under Brogan wouldn’t reach double figures in points and be very lucky to win a game. I’m thinking now that they might not score double figures.

Board are a shambles and have been for some time, from chairman to directors of football to manager the club is a shambles from top to bottom 

11 minutes ago, Yoda8 said:

I think I stated on here before league or League Cup started that this team if under Brogan wouldn’t reach double figures in points and be very lucky to win a game. I’m thinking now that they might not score double figures.

Board are a shambles and have been for some time, from chairman to directors of football to manager the club is a shambles from top to bottom 

Many calling for the manager to go. I'm not sure the Board can be trusted to make a better appointment. I'm now thinking change in the Boardroom can avert the catastrophe that lies ahead.

I don't like to see Albion in this state. I thought I didn't like 'the Dirties' but seeing their current troubles I realise it's Cliftonhill I hate, and actually I've more of a soft spot for them than any other team, possibly because they are our most frequent opposition (could have made that up).
The fortunes of a club change dramatically one season to the next, and it's not long since we were propping up the very bottom , but saved by the lack of a trapdoor at the time. I don't think Albion are as bad as we were, so will hopefully avoid the drop.

Get doon
You, lichtie, have repeatedly demonstrated on lower league forums, that you are a sh&+e of the first water who just has it in for us. If this is the best you have to say, why not feck off back to your own thread.
Always liked your team, your supporters and your stadium but you, chum, are a cnut.

3 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

Many calling for the manager to go. I'm not sure the Board can be trusted to make a better appointment. I'm now thinking change in the Boardroom can avert the catastrophe that lies ahead.

Is it the full board that can’t be trusted? 

Brogan was appointed by a 4 man committee, 2 of which have now left the club(rats&ships possibly) , of the other 2 one is a man who I know very little of but believe he came from the trust and the chairman who as much as he’s a huge Rovers fan you can tell he doesn’t know much about the game at all.

he spends home games wandering about the crowd with his back to the game. On 2nd thoughts maybe he’s smarter than the rest of us, I’m gonna try facing the wrong way next week. 

It’s sad to see Albion Rovers in this state, years ago the Rovers fan on here (Sesame street character) was a real good c**t. Loved going through to Coatbridge as well however with the new relegation play off there’s no place for sympathy and it’s almost you guys or us (ideally Berwick Rangers). Hopefully you get it all sorted but it doesn’t look good. 

8 hours ago, Yoda8 said:

Is it the full board that can’t be trusted? 

Brogan was appointed by a 4 man committee, 2 of which have now left the club(rats&ships possibly) , of the other 2 one is a man who I know very little of but believe he came from the trust and the chairman who as much as he’s a huge Rovers fan you can tell he doesn’t know much about the game at all.

he spends home games wandering about the crowd with his back to the game. On 2nd thoughts maybe he’s smarter than the rest of us, I’m gonna try facing the wrong way next week. 

The current Chairman took over a couple of years ago reluctantly and announced last year he would be stepping down. It looks as if nobody else wants to step up and he clearly doesn't want to be there - sadly this is reflects on the managerial appointment that was made.

The guy who was lined up to be Chairman asked for some guarantees, in writing, that there were no financial `legacy issues` that could bite him on the erse in the future. That guarantee was not forthcoming so he walked.....could it be something to do with this statement by the club`s auditors in the last accounts  "From the results of our audit we must report that we do not consider adequate accounting records have been maintained and as a result have been unable to determine that we have received all the information and explanations that we considered necessary in carrying out our audit"

2 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

The current Chairman took over a couple of years ago reluctantly and announced last year he would be stepping down. It looks as if nobody else wants to step up and he clearly doesn't want to be there - sadly this is reflects on the managerial appointment that was made.

I doubt very much this is the case. Think it’s well known that a few people have wanted his position , it should be noted that he has done well to keep a few charlatans out the place. 

My problem with him is if he doesn’t know anything about on field matters then don’t sit on committee that hires manager. Think this was an appointment to please the memories group  as it made no sense whatsoever.

The other 3 are every bit as culpable as none asked if he had appropriate coaching badges for this level. 

14 minutes ago, Yoda8 said:

I doubt very much this is the case. Think it’s well known that a few people have wanted his position , it should be noted that he has done well to keep a few charlatans out the place. 

My problem with him is if he doesn’t know anything about on field matters then don’t sit on committee that hires manager. Think this was an appointment to please the memories group  as it made no sense whatsoever.

The other 3 are every bit as culpable as none asked if he had appropriate coaching badges for this level. 

I'm afraid the charlatans had been and gone by the time the current chairman took over with the money well and truly spent.

7 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

It’s sad to see Albion Rovers in this state, years ago the Rovers fan on here (Sesame street character) was a real good c**t. 

Well, hello there! I'm still here, but seriously considering hibernation until the play-offs.

As others have said, the Junior / Alloa weans gamble hasn't worked. However, even if we thank John brogan for his efforts on his way out the door, we won't be able to get an entirely new squad in mid-season. Could Jurgen Klopp turn this mob into a competent team at this level? I'm really not convinced... and he's busy with Liverpool, anyway :(

24 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

I'm afraid the charlatans had been and gone by the time the current chairman took over with the money well and truly spent.

There was still one or some would say he was 2 if you go by the ARFC forum.

There are still people hopelessly out their depth on a club  board. People who were brought on to board to up the voting numbers of one side & not because of any particular skill set.

Im not suggesting these aren’t decent and well meaning people but not club directors who are capable of driving the club forward and bringing in funds to allow it to compete.