The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

9 hours ago, The Pastmaster said:

Mibbees no paid their bill......LOL.......maybe try this one  Dianne Leslie, Commercial Manager on dianne.leslie@albionroversfc.com or on 07568187779

Many thanks, will give her a try.

2 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

Good game on Saturday there folks. Got to give a heap of Credit to Jamie Watson, he will become a great player. Did really well in testing the defence. 

Good luck with the season ahead. :-) 

Pollok has him in his late teens on loan from Raith Rovers, he's had nine clubs since then though!

6 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Pollok has him in his late teens on loan from Raith Rovers, he's had nine clubs since then though!

We have a 19 year old Jamie Watson but he's not at any other club, he played for Raith against Hearts on Saturday.

7 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

We have a 19 year old Jamie Watson but he's not at any other club, he played for Raith against Hearts on Saturday.

It's two different Jamie Watsons. The one Albion Rovers have is now 23 but was with Raith Rovers from 2012-2014, spending the latter part of 13-14 on loan at Pollok. He went thereafter to Airdrie, Annan, Clyde, Shettleston (on loan), Cumbernauld United, Arthurlie and Kilsyth Rangers before joining Albion Rovers this summer. 

I’ve said on here a few times that the decision in naming JB was going to be a disaster and would lead to certain relegation. 

Having now seen them several times I haven’t changed my opinion.

After listening to the SoundCloud interviews however I’m beginning to feel for the manager , he seems honest with none of the usual management speak cliches. 

Although not an appointment I agree with I hope he proves me wrong.

will be a horrible watch for the purist though 

8 hours ago, Yoda8 said:

After listening to the SoundCloud interviews however I’m beginning to feel for the manager , he seems honest with none of the usual management speak cliches. 

Yes, honesty shines through on those interviews. I do get a  'out of his depth' vibe as well, but I might be allowing my judgement to be skewed by the fact that he was a 'left-field' appointment that most people have laughed at, and from my worry that we're stood on a trapdoor we won't get off.  Certainly, he comes across as a guy who it will be easy to root for.

1 hour ago, thejannie said:

Albion were in a very tough betfred group, but the season starts on Saturday against Edinburgh and I'm sure the manager will have the lads ready and organised for that

There really is a lot riding on next Saturday. The message from the management seems to be one of 'it will be alright on the night' i.e we'll find our feet once we start playing teams at our own level. However, if we get a real doing at Ainslie Park next week, morale will utterly plummet. We also surely can't go a fifth competitive game without scoring; that's howlingly poor regardless of the quality of the opposition to date.

Edited by Aloysius Snuffleupagus

20 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Yes, honesty shines through on those interviews. I do get a  'out of his depth' vibe as well, but I might be allowing my judgement to be skewed by the fact that he was a 'left-field' appointment that most people have laughed at, and from my worry that we're stood on a trapdoor we won't get off.  Certainly, he comes across as a guy who it will be easy to root for.

There really is a lot riding on next Saturday. The message from the management seems to be one of 'it will be alright on the night' i.e we'll find our feet once we start playing teams at our own level. However, if we get a real doing at Ainslie Park next week, morale will utterly plummet. We also surely can't go a fifth competitive game without scoring; that's howlingly poor regardless of the quality of the opposition to date.

It’s not the not scored bit, it’s the hardly had a shot that’s more worrying .

you can’t expect to sign almost a team of juniors & expect to compete. The 2 players of real experience at this level, Fisher & Wharton are on bench. Would be good to know the explanation of why. Hopefully just injuries. 

I honestly can’t see where a win is coming from 

Obviously yesterday was a dead rubber for both sides so it's maybe wrong to read much into it, but it was pretty staggering how bad you were. As in, you look considerably worse than the Cowdenbeath team of the last two seasons. Panicking about Brogan already?

7 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Obviously yesterday was a dead rubber for both sides so it's maybe wrong to read much into it, but it was pretty staggering how bad you were. As in, you look considerably worse than the Cowdenbeath team of the last two seasons. Panicking about Brogan already?

Yes, though Pep would struggle with his budget.

However his lack of knowledge of league will be what costs the club.

whoever thought it would be wise idea to give the job to someone who has been operating in the juniors for the last 22 years should be kicked onto the kerb.

What questions were asked at interview regarding knowledge of teams & players within the division. 

The guy has been attending his own teams games every week so it’s not his fault. 

I still can’t get head round it and think it could ultimately cost the club it’s existence if it backfires.

not a pop at John Brogan in his position he’s got to take it. 

12 hours ago, Yoda8 said:

It’s not the not scored bit, it’s the hardly had a shot that’s more worrying .

you can’t expect to sign almost a team of juniors & expect to compete. The 2 players of real experience at this level, Fisher & Wharton are on bench. Would be good to know the explanation of why. Hopefully just injuries. 

I honestly can’t see where a win is coming from 

Not only a team of juniors but a team of substandard juniors. There's some good players in the juniors and QP have done well in that market before but, generally speaking, they're not playing for the likes of Larkhall Thistle and Wishaw. Really fear for you guys this season, hope you can get through it on and off the park. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Not only a team of juniors but a team of substandard juniors. There's some good players in the juniors and QP have done well in that market before but, generally speaking, they're not playing for the likes of Larkhall Thistle and Wishaw. Really fear for you guys this season, hope you can get through it on and off the park. 

The difference being wee Gus knows the leagues inside out , he also has some junior players and usually mixes with some decent loan signings. 

To be fair top junior side will be on treble what Rovers are paying which tells you that the club is or has been run shambolically the last few years, especially when you take into account Rangers x 3 & Celtic in Cup plus 3 seasons in league 1 with decent crowds from DAFV, Ayr, Airdrie etc

Although a handful of Junior clubs might pay out a nice little earner to players it will be only be a few players at most in the one team. One player could be getting a £150 a game (paid in one or two lump sums) and a team mate getting £20 a game. Certainly won't be the entire team. Even the best supported team Pollok (average gate 500/600) had to offload the social club through debt and can only dream of a plastic pitch and floodlights. Then again, if they sold that ground.........

There is a huge difference in the standard of junior player. I remember Stuart Miller tried to replicate what Ronnie MacDonald / Alan Maitland did for us at Clyde.  Unmitigated desaster followed, for every Pat Keogh and Jack Ross etc you get a Willie Sawyers etc

Whoever took over as manager was at an immediate disadvantage as Rovers are up against teams not only on a similar but more than likely higher budget -also I think all other clubs have the same manager as the end of last season so have been building a team for 1-2 years.

i have only seen Rovers once so far v Ayr and the first impression was the centre of defence was a huge improvement to the two imposters we had last year but we lack quality to create and score, so the fans are right to be worried. I'm hoping the manager will not be afraid to access the loan market. As Snuffy as alluded to a pasteing against Edinburgh City could see morale drop and probably the worst thing about last year was watching the spirit slowly seep away and by the end players/manager/Directors and fans quietly accepted relegation - we cannot afford to get into that mindset after the first few games.

30 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

Whoever took over as manager was at an immediate disadvantage as Rovers are up against teams not only on a similar but more than likely higher budget -also I think all other clubs have the same manager as the end of last season so have been building a team for 1-2 years.

i have only seen Rovers once so far v Ayr and the first impression was the centre of defence was a huge improvement to the two imposters we had last year but we lack quality to create and score, so the fans are right to be worried. I'm hoping the manager will not be afraid to access the loan market. As Snuffy as alluded to a pasteing against Edinburgh City could see morale drop and probably the worst thing about last year was watching the spirit slowly seep away and by the end players/manager/Directors and fans quietly accepted relegation - we cannot afford to get into that mindset after the first few games.

This is the worry. 

You only had to look at last season Vic to see the difference confidence done.

this time last year undefeated in group and scoring for fun, albeit conceding for fun as well. 

My worry is this will be the boys with their tails up excited at getting a crack at senior football, that novelty will wear off if getting beat every week. Boys will go into their shells and hide or fake injuries.

a win early can galvanize the team , I just can’t see where it’s going to come from.