The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

33 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

You can play as an amateur for nothing other than genuine expenses or as a pro where you must be paid minimum wage. £1 per week deals not allowed. If you are in Central Belt and you have away games at Peterhead and Elgin you might have players working then a 15 hour week at £7.83 minimum wage

So are Queen's Park playing their Professional status (which they 100% have) players?

44 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I assume either they are no longer a wholly amateur club or more likely that the pros they sign do indeed turn amateur

I'd go for the former just on the grounds that you can't just become amateur if you're a pro. You can only reinstate to amateur once a career so it is not something undetaken lightly. Sean Burns as an example - signed for QP from Airdrie aged 19 or so, has just signed for Brechin extremely likely as a Pro. If he reinstated amateur at 19, that's it. Never again.

Anyway, I've derailed this topic enough!

Edited by cmontheloknow

I'd go for the former just on the grounds that you can't just become amateur if you're a pro. You can only reinstate to amateur once a career so it is not something undetaken lightly. Sean Burns as an example - signed for QP from Airdrie aged 19 or so, has just signed for Brechin extremely likely as a Pro. If he reinstated amateur at 19, that's it. Never again.

I am not sure players willing to play for nothing/expenses but who benefit from the facilities, etc at Hampden will worry all that much about turning amateur. They are more likely to play junior later rather than amateur again in all likelihood if they go pro again. Junior clubs with pro players should be paying minimum wage I would think but maybe recreational contracts get round that but again would then be expenses only surely.

22 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

interesting stuff, cheers, As for the signings not sure who out of the batch will be first team or reserve team. Also a few will be amateur, as per their contracts last season.  
A Rovers Select team won 1-0 on Saturday in a close door match, not sure who against ! but at least it was a clean sheet ! 

On 30 June 2018 at 23:00, 1320Lichtie said:

Got a bad feeling for the Rovers this season. What’s happened? You guys just run out of dough? These signings all seem very risky.

Relegation to L2 thanks to Brian Kerr's and Stuart " fukn lazy leg Fish" Malcolm high line of defence that Mick Dunlop allegedly would have struggled to cope with.

On 01/07/2018 at 17:15, cmontheloknow said:

As far as I know, it's a national reserve league below the big boy's one. Rovers are signing up a decent proportion of last season's U20s so I assume it's with that in mind.

Edit: this story from the Cowden website highlights some issues with it and their intention to not take part:

http://www.cowdenbeathfc.com/index.php?act=viewNews&id=2389

Only a first team for us now. Well done to Manky and the glorious project farce. What's the aim of the scheme Manky? To have less youngsters playing football sir. Excellent Manky.

Anyway. Good luck Rovers. As soon as you guys looked like you would come down to league 2, it looked ominous. Looks like we should have enough to avoid the bottom spot, so I think it is a battle between QP, Berwick and yourselves with maybe Edinburgh dragged in as well. Who knows. Maybe it will all click and you will surprise everyone.

Why closed doors for preseason, surely they should be trying to get money through the door. 

Also the standard of fixture isn’t really going to give any indication of where the team is at.

looks like the club have left it  too late to arrange games have appointed a manager from the juniors with limited contacts in senior game and he’s had to call people he knows. 

Getting the feeling this will be a long season 

The game against St Roch’s was the reserves. Only Fish and John Cunningham are likely first team players when the season starts.

Ps the first team beat Motherwell Reserves 2-0 [emoji1360]

Did Cunningham play in both games then I went to the Motherwell game he scored the first goal.

What were the red cards for

Did Cunningham play in both games then I went to the Motherwell game he scored the first goal.

What were the red cards for

He played the second half of the Motherwell game and then travelled through to St Roch’s as did a couple of others.

I believe the Candy player called JC a “fa**ot” and Daniel Crawley got his for a 2 footed tackle apparently. 🤷🏽‍♂️

4 hours ago, Yoda8 said:

Why closed doors for preseason, surely they should be trying to get money through the door. 

Also the standard of fixture isn’t really going to give any indication of where the team is at.

looks like the club have left it  too late to arrange games have appointed a manager from the juniors with limited contacts in senior game and he’s had to call people he knows. 

Getting the feeling this will be a long season 

Were u at the albion motherwell game yesterday? If not..... Motherwell had a strong team out and albion played very well and deserved their win. Team starting to take shape

4 hours ago, thejannie said:

Were u at the albion motherwell game yesterday? If not..... Motherwell had a strong team out and albion played very well and deserved their win. Team starting to take shape

I wasn’t no, I thought it was Motherwell reserves?

Great to hear they looked good but I don’t really read into playing against a reserve side.