The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Got a bad feeling for the Rovers this season. What’s happened? You guys just run out of dough? These signings all seem very risky.

I was coming on to say the very same. I always like to see you guys doing well because of the amount of connections DFC have had with the club, but every time I see you announce a signing on Twitter at the moment it makes me more and more convinced that avoiding tenth will be a big ask - especially with Edinburgh City and Cowdenbeath adding some good players to their squads.

A team of guys released from Alloa's youth team, and journeymen from the Juniors being lead by a guy who hasn't worked in senior football for two decades doesn't look like a recipe for success.

13 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Got a distinctly Alloa boys club feel this season.

backroom team have also joined to manage the reserve team. 

Scott Williamson, Lewis Wilson and Graeme Liveston...

1 hour ago, teekasule said:

backroom team have also joined to manage the reserve team. 

Scott Williamson, Lewis Wilson and Graeme Liveston...

Didnt realise that was where Graeme had gone. Explains it though

7 minutes ago, holsten said:

Don't know is there 

Does that do away with the development league which in all honesty is a waste of time 

As far as I know, it's a national reserve league below the big boy's one. Rovers are signing up a decent proportion of last season's U20s so I assume it's with that in mind.

Edit: this story from the Cowden website highlights some issues with it and their intention to not take part:

http://www.cowdenbeathfc.com/index.php?act=viewNews&id=2389

Edited by cmontheloknow

2 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

As far as I know, it's a national reserve league below the big boy's one. Rovers are signing up a decent proportion of last season's U20s so I assume it's with that in mind.

Aye alloa u20s 

Best of luck to them as I have previously said you can only work to your budget and it must be the reason why the signings have been who they are 

At a stab at it the top earner will be on £100 a week tops 

21 minutes ago, holsten said:

Aye alloa u20s 

Best of luck to them as I have previously said you can only work to your budget and it must be the reason why the signings have been who they are 

At a stab at it the top earner will be on £100 a week tops 

5 of their own (Gallacher, Guthrie, McCann, O'Kane, Watters) plus the 3 from Alloa. Watters and Gallacher have been in the 1st team squad a fair bit though already.

I did read somewhere (may have been Lok forum when rumours were rife that we were losing 1 / 2) that the money was £50 plus bonuses. As ever, rumours to be treated with caution!

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

5 of their own (Gallacher, Guthrie, McCann, O'Kane, Watters) plus the 3 from Alloa. Watters and Gallacher have been in the 1st team squad a fair bit though already.

I did read somewhere (may have been Lok forum when rumours were rife that we were losing 1 / 2) that the money was £50 plus bonuses. As ever, rumours to be treated with caution!

Surely £50 p/w would be breaking the minimum wage law for someone aged 21 or over time you take in games travel and training. Even for an 18-20 year old it would be tight.  Current rates are 25+ £7.83,  21-24 £7.83, 18-20 £5.90 and under 18 £4.20.  Apprentice £3.70.

10 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Surely £50 p/w would be breaking the minimum wage law for someone aged 21 or over time you take in games travel and training. Even for an 18-20 year old it would be tight.  Current rates are 25+ £7.83,  21-24 £7.83, 18-20 £5.90 and under 18 £4.20.  Apprentice £3.70.

Like I said, just a rumour! There may have been travel expenses on top of that basic for all I know. And it may have been a figure plucked from someone's behind.

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

Like I said, just a rumour! There may have been travel expenses on top of that basic for all I know. And it may have been a figure plucked from someone's behind.

No one  apart from those involved will ever know the true figure I suppose those sorts of things just grow hands and feet.

1 minute ago, cowdenbeath said:

No one  apart from those involved will ever know the true figure I suppose those sorts of things just grow hands and feet.

It's one of those ones that you're never quite sure how to take. The rumours of Rovers being linked with some of our players came well before Wharton actually signed and there was supposed to be one other that never materialised. Players talk. Things get exaggerated as you say. Minimum wage doesn't get enforced in Juniors, but so many players outwith the top divisions are amateurs / non contract professionals and I assume it does not apply if employment is not paid...?

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

It's one of those ones that you're never quite sure how to take. The rumours of Rovers being linked with some of our players came well before Wharton actually signed and there was supposed to be one other that never materialised. Players talk. Things get exaggerated as you say. Minimum wage doesn't get enforced in Juniors, but so many players outwith the top divisions are amateurs / non contract professionals and I assume it does not apply if employment is not paid...?

I know you can sign guys as amateurs but not sure about no contract professionals always thought you had to be contracted somehow.

Hopefully we can help out with loan players. Lots of time for Albion Rovers. My first memories of the Football were kicking a ball about the Front of the main stand at Cliftonhill. And running around when we heard a cheer. Anyway good luck this season Vers .

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Would imagine they are signing players on amateur contracts 

6 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Would imagine they are signing players on amateur contracts 

There is a complication with that though for SPFL clubs. You can only ever sign as an amateur if you have that status and a Pro can only revert to amateur status once in his career. Outwith the SPFL (i.e. Highland, Lowland, Junior etc...), the Non Contract form is used to sign Professional status players for expenses only.

If Rovers were to go down the route of signing players for expenses only, they can only do that with players that have never been paid to play at any point before or are happy to use their 'one time only' revertion to amateur on a possibly short-term move to Cliftonhill. The Non Contract form has not been available to SPFL clubs for a few seasons now. Queen's Park used to use it, not sure how they get around things now as the same rules apply as above to them. Maybe the token £1 a week but where minimum wage comes in, I know not.

There is a complication with that though for SPFL clubs. You can only ever sign as an amateur if you have that status and a Pro can only revert to amateur status once in his career. Outwith the SPFL (i.e. Highland, Lowland, Junior etc...), the Non Contract form is used to sign Professional status players for expenses only.
If Rovers were to go down the route of signing players for expenses only, they can only do that with players that have never been paid to play at any point before or are happy to use their 'one time only' revertion to amateur on a possibly short-term move to Cliftonhill. The Non Contract form has not been available to SPFL clubs for a few seasons now. Queen's Park used to use it, not sure how they get around things now as the same rules apply as above to them. Maybe the token £1 a week but where minimum wage comes in, I know not.

You can play as an amateur for nothing other than genuine expenses or as a pro where you must be paid minimum wage. £1 per week deals not allowed. If you are in Central Belt and you have away games at Peterhead and Elgin you might have players working then a 15 hour week at £7.83 minimum wage