The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

22 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

What an embarrassing word salad of a statement.

I don't have a problem with the wording ( for an absolute riddy see Ballantyne doing his Donald Trump about a reporter from the Tizer) it's the timing I can't get my head around . The club waited about 5 days until responding to this.

Not sure of the dates, but yes, the location is about right.  Originally there was  a car showroom there, owned by a Mr T Fagan. This he (and I believe one of his sons) converted into  a bar with a downstairs social venue all known as The Casanova. Was successful for a number of years and the downstairs venue attracted a number of big names (Matt Monro included) for the time.  The upstairs bar was always busy , particularly Friday and Saturday nights. at 11pm young Mr F used to come up and `invite` folks downstairs where there was usually a group playing -and a1 am licence ! I presume mismanagement led to a decline and the Fagans decided to sub let downstairs to the Rovers as a social club, hoping that supporters would staff it  working for nowt.  This never really took off and I think the whole lot folded in the early 1980s but I cant be sure about that.

Am I right in thinking there is now a bar in the main stand at Cliftonhill? If so, is it ok for children to come in on match days? Must admit, I don’t think I’ve been for 4-5 years now.

Used to love a pint at Big Owen’s , was one of my favourite away day pubs but when they did it up and changed it to Owen’s it seemed to lose the football atmosphere in it, the couple of times I went in.

23 hours ago, The Pastmaster said:

Not sure of the dates, but yes, the location is about right.  Originally there was  a car showroom there, owned by a Mr T Fagan. This he (and I believe one of his sons) converted into  a bar with a downstairs social venue all known as The Casanova. Was successful for a number of years and the downstairs venue attracted a number of big names (Matt Monro included) for the time.  The upstairs bar was always busy , particularly Friday and Saturday nights. at 11pm young Mr F used to come up and `invite` folks downstairs where there was usually a group playing -and a1 am licence ! I presume mismanagement led to a decline and the Fagans decided to sub let downstairs to the Rovers as a social club, hoping that supporters would staff it  working for nowt.  This never really took off and I think the whole lot folded in the early 1980s but I cant be sure about that.

Remember a big sign outside it (Albion Rovers Social Club). Was in it once about 1979/80.

Saw a small online article about Tom Fagan, take it was from the 1960s. He'd came into possession of a silver medal issued to one the founding members of the Albion Rovers United Brake Club which seemed to have been set up in the 1920s.  He was trying to find out if any of them where still alive!!!

I was 14 in 1981 and Fagan took us into the social club to see the Lanarkshire cup which we had recently won at Broomfield By the time I started drinking regularly in Coatbridge pubs a couple of years later I’m sure it had closed

12 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Am I right in thinking there is now a bar in the main stand at Cliftonhill? If so, is it ok for children to come in on match days? Must admit, I don’t think I’ve been for 4-5 years now.

Used to love a pint at Big Owen’s , was one of my favourite away day pubs but when they did it up and changed it to Owen’s it seemed to lose the football atmosphere in it, the couple of times I went in.

yes - but it works on an occasional licence so is only open for certain matches. They sell bottle beer etc.  Kids are fine. 

19 hours ago, The Pastmaster said:

Is it true or a myth, that under Fagan, Rovers players were ordered to kick  new match balls in to the dug out to allow an old one to be thrown back on?

I can see some flaws in either theory,

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Is it true or a myth, that under Fagan, Rovers players were ordered to kick  new match balls in to the dug out to allow an old one to be thrown back on?

That was at Third Lanark.

38 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

We abandoned that policy when the target success rate fell below 10%

On 22 June 2018 at 16:16, steviethebankie said:

I see use have signed John Cunningham from alloa he will be a great signing we had him on loan at the bankies last season scored 12 in 14 games great attitude doesn't stop working good luck to him

If the pyramid takes off you might be seeing him shortly.

I hope I am proved wrong but I cant see rovers doing to well this season with the team full of juniors players and pro youth  .

There is still a jump from that level to playing the teams in that league .I am sure the budget is why these guys are being signed but I fear the worst .

Check back on my comments in six months and hopefully proved wrong

8 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

If the pyramid takes off you might be seeing him shortly.

Here's hoping would love to get back in the seniors not saying I don't enjoy the juniors but u want to play at the highest level possible but as I say about Cunningham use have a player Brogan is a good manager I rate him give him time I think he will do well

8 hours ago, holsten said:

I hope I am proved wrong but I cant see rovers doing to well this season with the team full of juniors players and pro youth  .

There is still a jump from that level to playing the teams in that league .I am sure the budget is why these guys are being signed but I fear the worst .

Check back on my comments in six months and hopefully proved wrong

The previous directors - including Steve Kirk btw - left the club in  a hell of a mess financially, including a loan from a sub prime commercial lender. The club`s bankers (RBS) have reined in the overdraft as well.  So yes, the budget will be very low, hence the incoming player from juniors, development etc.  Time will tell but it looks like a scrap around the bottom for `Vers.  

1 hour ago, The Pastmaster said:

The previous directors - including Steve Kirk btw - left the club in  a hell of a mess financially, including a loan from a sub prime commercial lender. The club`s bankers (RBS) have reined in the overdraft as well.  So yes, the budget will be very low, hence the incoming player from juniors, development etc.  Time will tell but it looks like a scrap around the bottom for `Vers.  

Don't know much about Albions finances .I do know several of the players you have signed this season 

It's a pity that philanthropist Mark Miller from coatbride who sold his company Millerworld to Netflix for 9 figures  does not pump a few quid in 

I remember reading he was building 30 houses in coatbride for a not for profit scheme 

Please excuse my ignorance if am talking shite