The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

2 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

I'm surprised this pair were offered any kind of terms to stay. I've held my wheesht until now but, for me, the online video of Kerr and Malcolm in the dressing room etc was the last straw. Neither scary nor inspiring, they resembled the famous Chewin' the Fat pair. God knows where we go from here, with equal uncertainty in the boardroom.

The way I read it was that only Brian was offered a contract. Certainly, I'm aware of some angst around the behaviour of his assistant; witness the dressing room video and touchline antics.

Personally, I'd have kept Brian but with a calmer and more experienced head beside him. I can though see why that may not have been palatable to him, especially if a reduced wage was also part of the deal.

If only Paul Martin's wife would let him come back!

2 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

I'm surprised this pair were offered any kind of terms to stay. I've held my wheesht until now but, for me, the online video of Kerr and Malcolm in the dressing room etc was the last straw. Neither scary nor inspiring, they resembled the famous Chewin' the Fat pair. God knows where we go from here, with equal uncertainty in the boardroom.

Any link to this video (not the Chewing the Fat one)?

Don't want to cause more pain, but i was shocked to see Albion go straight down. Had a good performance in the group stages of the league cup, looked well organised and a threat up top. What went wrong?
Defence went missing in august and were never found again

5 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:
9 hours ago, Laid-back Accie said:
Don't want to cause more pain, but i was shocked to see Albion go straight down. Had a good performance in the group stages of the league cup, looked well organised and a threat up top. What went wrong?

Defence went missing in august and were never found again

I'd say the keeper walking out was a major factor, not sure If we tried to get an experienced keeper in or not but that may have been the difference - even getting Stewart back on loan - who's hardly kicked a ball for St Mirren. 

Anyway who want to be the manager now ? Any suggestions ? 

1 minute ago, teekasule said:

I'd say the keeper walking out was a major factor, not sure If we tried to get an experienced keeper in or not but that may have been the difference - even getting Stewart back on loan - who's hardly kicked a ball for St Mirren. 

You could do a lot worse than taking a look at Brian Reid.

1 minute ago, teekasule said:

From the outside, Jim Chapman seems an obvious choice. Reasonable record before his Broadwood disaster, for which I thank him. Contacts within the game at this level will be pretty strong. I know he’s a bit of a marmite character, so not sure of how he’s rated by Rovers fans.

18 minutes ago, an86 said:

From the outside, Jim Chapman seems an obvious choice. Reasonable record before his Broadwood disaster, for which I thank him. Contacts within the game at this level will be pretty strong. I know he’s a bit of a marmite character, so not sure of how he’s rated by Rovers fans.

Chapman was a heroic player for us, thirty years ago. Seemed to make a lot of enemies in his spell as manager. I'd prefer not to go back. Does Mick Dunlop have his coaching badges (or does that even matter)?

26 minutes ago, an86 said:

Chappie  was with us before and didn't leave on best terms.  No thanks. 

Jim did a good job for us but would be a backward step, besides his programme column quoting chinese proverbs would get on everyone's tits.

I doubt we will see anyone of note coming in. I see the club is looking for a candidate with L1 and L2 experience which I hope they are not narrowing the field. A young up and coming manager/ coach ( not a rookie) who has maybe cut their teeth in management at a lower level should not be discounted eg ex-Rover Tony NcInally at Pollok . 

The person who gets it will know it is a tough gig

Peter Innes seems a reasonable choice and he's certainly got the back room team sorted as well....
IMG_20180509_144129.jpg

15 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Peter Innes seems a reasonable choice and he's certainly got the back room team sorted as well....
IMG_20180509_144129.jpg

#LEGEND ! ARFC OK ! 

Ian Murray would be a good choice IMO... .... with Peter Houston as assistant. 

30 minutes ago, teekasule said:

#LEGEND ! ARFC OK ! 

Ian Murray would be a good choice IMO... .... with Peter Houston as assistant. 

I doubt we could afford either. Houston would be great, though. Ex-Rover.

Champan's extensive contacts amounted to raiding Annan for 9 or 10 of their players. Would be a poor appointment, IMO.

Wasn't surprised to see Albion Rovers struggle Perry, McLaughlin and Higgins were 3 of the worst players in the Clyde squad that nearly finished bottom of league 2.