Should we get rid of diddy teams like St Johnstone and Hamilton to improve the Scottish game?

It's amazing: almost like UEFA are trying to completely remove the possibility of teams from wee countries qualifying at all.
I don't know why any of you entertain an interest in European football at all; it's utterly bent.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's amazing: almost like UEFA are trying to completely remove the possibility of teams from wee countries qualifying at all.
I don't know why any of you entertain an interest in European football at all; it's utterly bent.

This is exactly right. EUFA want the EL like the CL. Same big teams year after year, same big name players, same marketing, big sponsors. They killed the European Cup in pursuit of money. The CL is now utterly boring. Last 4 Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus - yawn.

This is exactly right. EUFA want the EL like the CL. Same big teams year after year, same big name players, same marketing, big sponsors. They killed the European Cup in pursuit of money. The CL is now utterly boring. Last 4 Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus - yawn.

Given that we follow a league where two clubs have won all the titles since the '80s I don't think we're in the best position to cast the first stone on this.

NB
I'm not trying to say that I'm like Jesus Christ here, that's for others to say

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Given that we follow a league where two clubs have won all the titles since the '80s I don't think we're in the best position to cast the first stone on this.

NB
I'm not trying to say that I'm like Jesus Christ here, that's for others to say

Often when I read your posts I think 'Jesus Christ'.*

*Not really, I think you're an excellent poster and you'd be welcome to marry my sister any day

They're stuck between having a competition for the best teams in Europe or having a competition for teams from all over Europe.

Given that the talent has been further concentrated in the biggest financial markets it's impossible to achieve both without compromising either

58 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

They're stuck between having a competition for the best teams in Europe or having a competition for teams from all over Europe.

Given that the talent has been further concentrated in the biggest financial markets it's impossible to achieve both without compromising either

Guess what? They have two competitions! They can do both!

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We have multiple examples every season on here from people who would love nothing more than making the Scottish Premiership a closed shop with only the 12 best supported teams in the country allowed to compete.

What a time to be alive etc

So what - they're wrong too.

they have two competitions they could do both

I can see your point

Dropping champions league failures into the Europa league is like putting the teams that don't quite make the top 6 into the semifinals of the challenge cup

But more pertinently

As a Falkirk fan do you feel that the existence of Stenhousemuir and the shire is really holding your club back?

Or do you, like me, think that the "too many clubs" argument is utter codswallup

I've been saying for years that European football is a closed shop, especially the "champions" league. "champions" my arse! Mind you there are plenty fans of the bigot brothers that would be happy with a 2 team "Premiership" (I fucking HATE that name) cup and league cup TBF.

I agree that there are some clubs that seem to stagnate or lack ambition in Scotland in the SPFL, but that's true of probably every country's leagues. Pretty sure there are teams in the PL in England that just exist to stay in that division and have no real ambition beyond that, no doubt in Spain, France, Germany etc.

I think there is room for a serious discussion here (there might already have been, I'm not trawling through all 5 pages to find out) about the raison d'etre for many clubs worldwide, are they there for the supporters, for the owners, for the "jollies" or to compete, win improve, rinse and repeat?

Onyway it's time for ma dinner loonies and quinies, be intrigued to see if this has all been a big fishing exercise that's got me biting or if there's any quality discourse to be had.

I can see your point

Dropping champions league failures into the Europa league is like putting the teams that don't quite make the top 6 into the semifinals of the challenge cup

But more pertinently

As a Falkirk fan do you feel that the existence of Stenhousemuir and the shire is really holding your club back?

Or do you, like me, think that the "too many clubs" argument is utter codswallup

I'm with you on that one.
I hope you guys get La Budge telt on that matter.

I'm with you on that one.
I hope you guys get La Budge telt on that matter.

In fairness she wasn't talking about the existence of the straw weight clubs just their involvement in the administration of the top league

Which given that the SPL and SFL were separate entities for years is hardly the most radical or controversial stance.

10 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I can see your point

But more pertinently

What exactly is the argument for there being too many clubs anyway? I've never quite got this one.

10 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

What exactly is the argument for there being too many clubs anyway? I've never quite got this one.

Its something about East Stirlingshire/Stenhousemuir steal fans from Falkirk and with these extra fans they'd be a bigger club and therefore better (because bigger clubs are always better than smaller ones, everyone knows that) so by having less clubs we'd have more big clubs, which would be better.  It's not a very good argument. 

Oh, and England has 92 league clubs to our 42, which is of course relevant because reasons. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Its something about East Stirlingshire/Stenhousemuir steal fans from Falkirk and with these extra fans they'd be a bigger club and therefore better (because bigger clubs are always better than smaller ones, everyone knows that) so by having less clubs we'd have more big clubs, which would be better.  It's not a very good argument. 

Oh, and England has 92 league clubs to our 42, which is of course relevant because reasons. 

It's not good at all. I thought there must be more to it given how often it's spouted. Redistribute really not a lot of fans and not a lot sponsorship money and Scottish football will be good again? Genius stuff. Same with summer football. Until the hard of thinking cliche spouters realise the core problem with Scottish football is we just don't produce many decent players any more then we'll continue to decline, although there isn't too far left to go.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 08:38, RandomGuy. said:

Its not been made completely clear, I don't think. Last I looked I thought that only 13 qualifying spots will be available from the Qualifiers, down from 22.

That's right...

When they introduced groups in the UEFA Cup there were 40 places, and 80 clubs competed for them in R1.

In the Europa League currently there are 48 places but only 22 for clubs progressing from QR4... 16 places go automatically to the top 12 leagues, plus 10 go to CL QR4 drop-outs (also note of the 44 clubs in QR4 there are 15 who drop-out of CL QR3).

From next season there are only 13 places for clubs progressing from QR4... 17 go automatically to the top 12 leagues, plus 18 go to CL drop-outs automatically (10) and in their own pathway (8). Latter is due to them introducing dropping-out for clubs which lose before CL QR3 whereas currently they're out of everything. There'll be 26 clubs in QR4.

There will be 141 clubs competing for those 13 places, including 19 clubs from the top 12 leagues alone.

It doesn't affect how many slots we get and their entry points, and apparently all rounds will be 1 week later than currently.

However it'll be near-impossible to make groups.

slightly hurt that the OP hasn't specified County among the diddy clubs to be purged. We usually star in this kind of thread.
Oh well that must be what happens now we've become Billy Big-time.

Don't be daft. Anyone with any knowledge knows that you're the true €$tabli$hm€nt club.

On 07/07/2017 at 01:30, theGOAT said:

Serious question, we don't need teams filled with hammer throwers who are managed by members of the jobs for the boys scheme.

Martin Canning and Tommy Wright are the 2  most technically and tactically limited managers in the league, they only want to send players out to hoof the ball up to the strikers, or foul players to stop the opposition from playing any form of football.

The players in each team are just journeyman grafters with 0 footballing ability. Liam Craig, David Wetherspoon, Darian McKinnon and Dougie Imrie sum this category up perfectly.

Falkirk and St Mirren are genuine better fits for the top division rather than these 2 ancient diddy teams.

Thoughts?

Is this seriously from a Gunt? The most technically limited football team in Scotland since the formation of the scottish league with more hammer throwers than the former soviet union has produced, ever? With, at the helm, the most technically and tactically limited manager since Levein.  Hahahahaha. This has got to be a wind up.........sorry if I've been whooshed here but seriously. 

Archived