Should we get rid of diddy teams like St Johnstone and Hamilton to improve the Scottish game?

22 hours ago, theGOAT said:

Serious question, we don't need teams filled with hammer throwers who are managed by members of the jobs for the boys scheme.

Martin Canning and Tommy Wright are the 2  most technically and tactically limited managers in the league, they only want to send players out to hoof the ball up to the strikers, or foul players to stop the opposition from playing any form of football.

The players in each team are just journeyman grafters with 0 footballing ability. Liam Craig, David Wetherspoon, Darian McKinnon and Dougie Imrie sum this category up perfectly.

Falkirk and St Mirren are genuine better fits for the top division rather than these 2 ancient diddy teams.

Thoughts?

This should happen to a certain Glasgow team that play in blue before St Johnstone or Hamilton.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kilmarnock could be next to face the chop with big Jig as manager and signing huddies like Kirk Broadfoot. Shoogly peg.

FYI@theGoat, Broadfoot played against a very decent Livingstone team today, a team who will surprise a good few others in the championship this season, and absolutely strolled it......

I hope Jig finds us another couple of huddies like him [emoji108]

16 minutes ago, thekorean said:

Good idea! In fact I think we should also get rid of diddy teams that do nothing in Europe like Sevco, and Celtic.

in fact nobody gets to play in Premiership! All diddy!

Crack-cocaine? something similar?

It would help Scottish football if we had fewer teams.  For the size of our population (in relation to say England) each club is carrying too many players.

Reducing the number won't happen because the old die-hard supporters wouldn't let it, but what we need is say one or possibly two teams from Fife meaning mergers of clubs like E. Fife, Dunfermline, Raith and Cowdenbeath, one team from Dundee, one from Stirlingshire, 1 from Lanarkshire, 1 from Ayrshire etc etc.  At present the resources Scotland has are spread too widely and therefore too thinly meaning that some clubs barely exist financially and there is no short or medium term prospect of improving their status.

The result of this is that we would finish up with either 2 leagues of 10 (or possibly 12) and fewer games which could be compensated for by spicing up cup competitions with foreign teams like the Scandinavians/Irish/Welsh.  One thing we can't do is continue as we are which results in our efforts in European being embarrassing and continuously eroding our co-efficient.

Just a thought.

7 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Now that the SPL & SFL are reunified we could go back to calling the top flight "The first division"

I remember those days. At least I'm not old enough to remember Division "A" and Division "B". (Not to mention Division "C". "I said not to mention Division C".) Although Divisions A,B & C were extant within my lifetime

3 minutes ago, Craig Lea said:

It would help Scottish football if we had fewer teams.  For the size of our population (in relation to say England) each club is carrying too many players.

Reducing the number won't happen because the old die-hard supporters wouldn't let it, but what we need is say one or possibly two teams from Fife meaning mergers of clubs like E. Fife, Dunfermline, Raith and Cowdenbeath, one team from Dundee, one from Stirlingshire, 1 from Lanarkshire, 1 from Ayrshire etc etc.  At present the resources Scotland has are spread too widely and therefore too thinly meaning that some clubs barely exist financially and there is no short or medium term prospect of improving their status.

The result of this is that we would finish up with either 2 leagues of 10 (or possibly 12) and fewer games which could be compensated for by spicing up cup competitions with foreign teams like the Scandinavians/Irish/Welsh.  One thing we can't do is continue as we are which results in our efforts in European being embarrassing and continuously eroding our co-efficient.

Just a thought.

^^^^ Started-on-the-booze-early type post.

2 minutes ago, Craig Lea said:

Just a thought.

f**k off you c**t

Just a thought.

Good plan, lets totally ruin our entire domestic game for a huge proportion of the fans so that our teams can get beat by someone a bit less embarrassing in the Europa league qualifiers.

Good plan, lets totally ruin our entire domestic game for a huge proportion of the fans so that our teams can get beat by someone a bit less embarrassing in the Europa league qualifiers.

This. The chances of a Scottish team making the Europa League groups from the Qualifiers are virtually nil once the new changes come in next season. I've ko idea why people get so hung up on it.

FYI[mention=72418]theGoat[/mention], Broadfoot played against a very decent Livingstone team today, a team who will surprise a good few others in the championship this season, and absolutely strolled it......

I hope Jig finds us another couple of huddies like him [emoji108]

Livingston I presume.

Just a thought.

Glad to see no mention of the number of teams Glesga or Embra are allowed under your system?

I bet in your head they can have what they like and the rest of Scottish Football should just roll over and play oldco, sorry (dead).

Ps... you forgot the highlands & borders or are they not allowed to play football in your mind, perhaps shinty or rugby?

f**k right off ya tit......

20 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Glad to see no mention of the number of teams Glesga or Embra are allowed under your system?

I bet in your head they can have what they like and the rest of Scottish Football should just roll over and play oldco, sorry (dead).

Ps... you forgot the highlands & borders or are they not allowed to play football in your mind, perhaps shinty or rugby?

f**k right off ya tit......

I didn't forget Glasgow, Edinburgh or the Highlands and Borders.  I simply quoted some examples of where mergers might be practical.  It was not meant to be exclusive hence the etc etc.

I deduce you are in favour of the status quo.

This. The chances of a Scottish team making the Europa League groups from the Qualifiers are virtually nil once the new changes come in next season. I've ko idea why people get so hung up on it.

What changes?

What changes?

Its not been made completely clear, I don't think. Last I looked I thought that only 13 qualifying spots will be available from the Qualifiers, down from 22. Three of the teams from the Qualifiers will be from the Champions League Qualifiers (most likely the champions from Austria/Greece/Denmark). The "big guns" will come in from the second qualifying round instead of later on (sixth placed team from the top four nations), meaning a tie against Manchester United could be Aberdeens first tie in Europe next season...

The seedings been weighted towards former champions too, so teams like us, Hibs and Hearts will have a disadvantage of seeding against the likes of Red Star Belgrade

So in summary, 13 qualifying spaces, and we're competing against four top six sides from the big four leagues, and three champions of their respective leagues, along with the current batch of teams we struggle to qualify past. We'll be lucky to make it past the second round.

Archived