It's not been all that good a week for Unionists

Fide

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Wouldn't matter to the fundamentalists.  None of them would support such a thing as a football team or be so trivial as to engage in a state-endorsing expression of religious glee.

The wee fanny hasn't a clue what 'fundamentalism' means.

What did you post about spamming threads again you raging rocket? :lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The_Kincardine said:

You still following me around?  Can you stop it please?

:lol: FFS honestly I am in stitches here Kinky.

Do you wish me to leave you to spam this thread all on your own? It's fundamental you answer.

5 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I like The Rangers and enjoy a toe-tapping tune from a flute band,  I've a hefty wager you haven't a fucking clue what a " fundamentalist bigot" is, though.  Clue..it's a view diametrically opposed to Presbyterianism.

Wouldn't matter to the fundamentalists.  None of them would support such a thing as a football team or be so trivial as to engage in a state-endorsing expression of religious glee.

The wee fanny hasn't a clue what 'fundamentalism' means.

You still following me around?  Can you stop it please?

You seem upset.  Can't think why.

Meanwhile amidsts all this supposed doom and gloom for Unionists the latest subpoll numbers for Scotland on a Westminster general election are:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/pk6fh24cmh/TimesResults_170706_VotingIntention_W.pdf

Lab 36 SNP 31 Con 25 Libs 5

That's close to wipeout territory for the SNP.

9 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Meanwhile amidsts all this supposed doom and gloom for Unionists the latest subpoll numbers for Scotland on a Westminster general election are:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/pk6fh24cmh/TimesResults_170706_VotingIntention_W.pdf

From a sample of 143.

10 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

143 people.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

THEIR flag?

Our flag surely. As voted for by 55% of those whoe voted whether you and I like it or not.

He was carrying OUR flag. 

If you use google images to search on "English Flag", 7 of the first 10 images are of the Union flag. Only 3 St Georges crosses are displayed.

This is a common misconception abroad. Displaying the Union flag is usually immediately associated with English tourists, not Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish.

I don't consider it to be my flag, and neither does much of the world (including England). Only Scottish Britnats tend to describe it as 'our' flag.

HTH

(For completeness, google images "Scottish Flag" gets 10 saltires, and "British Flag" gets 10 Union flags)

Just now, lichtgilphead said:

If you use google images to search on "English Flag", 7 of the first 10 images are of the Union flag. Only 3 St Georges crosses are displayed.

This is a common misconception abroad. Displaying the Union flag is usually immediately associated with English tourists, not Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish.

I don't consider it to be my flag, and neither does much of the world (including England). Only Scottish Britnats tend to describe it as 'our' flag.

HTH

(For completeness, google images "Scottish Flag" gets 10 saltires, and "British Flag" gets 10 Union flags)

Indeed.

"England" is most often used interchangeably by those from other parts of the world with the "U.K." Or "Great Britain".

It's always bothered me that Noam Chomsky does this almost without exception.  I have to assume that he does it on purpose, as if to indicate the preposterousness of assuming that the other home nations can be considered equal.

THEIR flag?
Our flag surely. As voted for by 55% of those whoe voted whether you and I like it or not.

Yes it was mostly British people complaining about a Scottish athlete in the British Olympic team carrying THEIR flag.
Because he tweeted one tweet in support of Scottish independence.

If I was to say I'm not a UK citizen and that the passport with my name and d.o.b in it isn't mine, I would obviously be wrong. Surely a flag doesn't have the same basis in legal fact; if you don't in any way identify with it, it's not really be your flag. I don't have any issue with a Scottish person seeing the Union flag as "theirs" but it isn't mine.

I've had the Irish passport forms in the drawer for about a year. If Brexit goes a certain way and it becomes worth getting them sent off, the tricolour won't be my flag all of a sudden.

23 hours ago, Shades75 said:

...It's always bothered me that Noam Chomsky does this almost without exception.  I have to assume that he does it on purpose, as if to indicate the preposterousness of assuming that the other home nations can be considered equal.

A lot of highly educated Americans tend to do that and I agree that it is very irritating to listen to when it is somebody that clearly should know better. Often wonder if the aversion to using Britain and British amongst the American elite started off as a way to keep Irish Americans happy because pre-partition they would have been lumped in under that as well and would no doubt have objected vociferously to being described that way. The absurd use of "these islands" by the political elite rather than British Isles is an example closer to home of how these sensibilities often have to be catered to.

On 7/8/2017 at 13:36, oaksoft said:

THEIR flag?

It aint my flag and I'd hazard a guess that a big chunk of no voters also think the saltire is 'their' flag also.

Archived