Moving the Goalposts blog update - Dunfermline

• The Mantis changed the title to Moving the Goalposts blog update - Dunfermline
50 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Did you just use all the pics from the thread on here?

Good report though.

Nah, most of the pics have my name on them. Mind you a lot of the pics on p&b are nicked from me anyway :whistle

Any more pics are welcome though.

Just an update with a few memories and pics of East End Park
 Moving the Goalposts

The 4-0 game in 1999 was my first ever Pars game, I remember absolutely nothing about the game in honesty apart from jumping up to "celebrate" what felt like loads of times. I was bored for most of the time though.

16 hours ago, Grant228 said:

The 4-0 game in 1999 was my first ever Pars game, I remember absolutely nothing about the game in honesty apart from jumping up to "celebrate" what felt like loads of times. I was bored for most of the time though.

I mind that game pretty well. We gave them a bit of a hiding and could have scored more.

I also recall the 1-0 game where Tod scored right at the end. Incredibly frustrating. I believe we clinched promotion that season in Inverness with a 0-2 win. I mind seeing us draw the other game in Inverness, 1-1, that season. Shame they changed the ground up there as the terracing was decent.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I mind that game pretty well. We gave them a bit of a hiding and could have scored more.

I also recall the 1-0 game where Tod scored right at the end. Incredibly frustrating. I believe we clinched promotion that season in Inverness with a 0-2 win. I mind seeing us draw the other game in Inverness, 1-1, that season. Shame they changed the ground up there as the terracing was decent.

Obviously we took a few weeks to get used to stepping up and that was our first ever game in div 1 where we tired after being reduced to 10 men with half an hour left. The Pars were very strong that season and went up with Hendrie's St Mirren who celebrated on our pitch after we walloped them 5-0 on the last day. They obviously had hangovers just like we did at Love Street after the Celtic game.

The last game at ours was 2-1. Xausa pulled one back and we had a decent second half looking for an equaliser. As I said in the blog, we went to Parkhead in February  and won , then took Aberdeen to a replay so it was a memorable season for ICT. All during the fondly remembered era of Steve Paterson. 

19 hours ago, Grant228 said:

A lifetime spent supporting the Pars in microcosm, but with added celebrations.

19 hours ago, Fungi said:

Born in 1994 I had no idea the stadium didn't have the new stands till 98. Haven't known any different so assumed it was aaages ago.

Only time I got sunburned at East End was an early season game (maybe against Aberdeen). Home fans were in the new away stand as the Norrie (as it became) wasn't finished. 

33 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

First game was very shortly before the Norrie opened. Wish I'd been old enough to go to games in the old ground.

It was a very different experience. Fat blokes (the players always piled into Stephens after training) on muddy pitches was what I remember of the football but the atmosphere was much noisier and less sanitised. There was a wee family enclosure for those offended by words like ****, ****. ******., *******, ****, ****, ****, etc  

I remember crowds of 17,000 against Aberdeen and about 18-20,000 against Rangers and Celtic. The noise that would come off the cage was almost physical it hit you so hard if you were in the main stand. It's a minor point but I enjoyed the teams coming out separately too - much more pantomime, with the boos/jeers

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

It was a very different experience. Fat blokes (the players always piled into Stephens after training) on muddy pitches was what I remember of the football but the atmosphere was much noisier and less sanitised. There was a wee family enclosure for those offended by words like ****, ****. ******., *******, ****, ****, ****, etc  

I remember crowds of 17,000 against Aberdeen and about 18-20,000 against Rangers and Celtic. The noise that would come off the cage was almost physical it hit you so hard if you were in the main stand. It's a minor point but I enjoyed the teams coming out separately too - much more pantomime, with the boos/jeers

As I'm quite an old c**t that's more or less why I started these blogs last year. I've got a load of old slides that I scanned but I only really started that about 1991 or so. With hindsight I wish I'd started carrying a camera when I was younger in the late 60s.

For example, I was at Somerset in 1969 when Ayr set their record of......... 25500 :eek: 

I've been in crowds of >40000 at Hibs, 94000 at Ibrox, 122000 at Hampden etc.

There's a photo of Boghead in one of the stadium threads where the queue is just filling the street. I was at a game just like that in 1975 and it was a bit scary. Also I was only 15 at the time of the Ibrox disaster and had mates at the game although I wasn't there. Leaving a big game at Ibrox was always scary as there were only 2 stairways at each end. At Hampden you could get out anywhere behind the goals.

These were different times but the whole matchday experience now is very bland. Mind you when I was at school we had an English teacher who was about 60 and now I'm sounding like him :lol:

Thanks for the comments guys, it's quite a lot of work doing a blog so it's a bit deflating when nobody replies.

Archived