Let There Be Light(s)

HibeeJibee

On 25/09/2019 at 23:30, HibeeJibee said:

Bump.

Footage of Civil Service finishing their erection:

I spoke to Tam earlier they’ve had the lights on ! A few weeks away from home home will hopefully allow the surrounding areas to recover a bit before the first game. 

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, stanley said:

Does that leave only

Vale of Leithen,

Whitehill Welfare, Tranent, Crossgates and Musselburgh

without lights in the LL/EoS Premier?

Correct.

Tranent and Whitehill certainly have plans underway, too.

Edinburgh United announce plans:

Edited by HibeeJibee

I know it's not lowland league but

https://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=PYHD7AIHFZ100

Goldie Sutherland looking to protect their licence by getting lights. Not looking like they think they need them except for Scottish Cup games. September 2020 deadline

I know it's not lowland league but

https://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=PYHD7AIHFZ100

Goldie Sutherland looking to protect their licence by getting lights. Not looking like they think they need them except for Scottish Cup games. September 2020 deadline

iirc Golspie tried to install lights a few years ago but ran into objections from residents of the adjacent houses.

I don't know much about the club but was that not with a view to applying for the Highland league where the lights would be used semi regular? This application is playing up the just for Scottish Cup use at 3pm on a Saturday. I'd imagine they are highly unlikely to ever be in the Scottish Cup long enough to use them!

iirc Golspie tried to install lights a few years ago but ran into objections from residents of the adjacent houses.

It’s interesting how many clubs where planning has said to have been difficult in the past are now pushing ahead. Perhaps now it’s a requirement more effort is going in where objections might have been a convenient excuse not to spend on something with only occasional benefit(maybe that’s harsh) maybe residents are less likely to object now it would mean significantly damaging the local club, perhaps planners are more likely to lean towards the clubs over objectors for the same reason.

1 hour ago, calmac25 said:

I don't know much about the club but was that not with a view to applying for the Highland league where the lights would be used semi regular? This application is playing up the just for Scottish Cup use at 3pm on a Saturday. I'd imagine they are highly unlikely to ever be in the Scottish Cup long enough to use them!

Their statement says the NCL games will still be played in the early afternoon, and it will remain that way "as it is expected for all teams to start games at the same time therefore no team gains an advantage." - bit strange, surely if both teams agree then they could play at 3pm?

Unless they get a very fortuitous draw after a bye then they won't be playing Scottish Cup games in October, nor is it likely the BBC will pick them for a live Friday night game.

1 hour ago, calmac25 said:

Losing your licence eventually means losing your SFA membership. Eventually they would lose all those benefits not just the Scottish Cup.

18 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Their statement says the NCL games will still be played in the early afternoon, and it will remain that way "as it is expected for all teams to start games at the same time therefore no team gains an advantage." - bit strange, surely if both teams agree then they could play at 3pm?...

That's the same crabs in a barrel mentality that held back the use of floodlights in the juniors.

Their statement says the NCL games will still be played in the early afternoon, and it will remain that way "as it is expected for all teams to start games at the same time therefore no team gains an advantage." - bit strange, surely if both teams agree then they could play at 3pm?
Unless they get a very fortuitous draw after a bye then they won't be playing Scottish Cup games in October, nor is it likely the BBC will pick them for a live Friday night game.
They're not going to say "actually we're going to use them every week" in a planning application, are they?

It's not true anyway. Orkney league games are at ~12:45pm to fit around ferries; next weekend the Thurso game is 2:15pm not 2pm; next month the Halkirk game is 2:30pm not 1:30pm as they have lights; and so on (these are Orkney away games which are frequently at different times to fit ferries). Not to mention the fact there are only 14 league games, but numerous cup competitions. I don't imagine any club would want to spend 10s of thousands of £ on a set of glass ornaments suspended 30 feet up in the air? Anything that cuts the "Mrs McGonigle and her ladies who lunch" brigade ability to object and put pressure on planning officials and councillors is OK in my book. Look what happened in Peebles.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 17:05, parsforlife said:

It’s interesting how many clubs where planning has said to have been difficult in the past are now pushing ahead. Perhaps now it’s a requirement more effort is going in where objections might have been a convenient excuse not to spend on something with only occasional benefit(maybe that’s harsh) maybe residents are less likely to object now it would mean significantly damaging the local club, perhaps planners are more likely to lean towards the clubs over objectors for the same reason.

I was happily surprised by the ease Coldstream got permission for their lights earlier this year. When they had to enclose the ground and erect a covered terrace a few years ago, it was a tortuous process. I took a drive down (as an "interested neutral") to a public meeting in the community centre, with almost 100 people present - many sceptical, and a minority vehemently opposed; it was ultimately put to a postal ballot of all households in the community council which they only won 51%-49%; various conditions were attached over paths & heights; etc.

At that public meeting they actually said "we won't be coming back in a few years and putting up lights" as a reassurance - but it seems hardly a ripple was caused when they did.

Of course not every club applying for planning permission may actually be able to raise the money for lights.

It's not true anyway. Orkney league games are at ~12:45pm to fit around ferries; next weekend the Thurso game is 2:15pm not 2pm; next month the Halkirk game is 2:30pm not 1:30pm as they have lights; and so on (these are Orkney away games which are frequently at different times to fit ferries). Not to mention the fact there are only 14 league games, but numerous cup competitions. I don't imagine any club would want to spend 10s of thousands of £ on a set of glass ornaments suspended 30 feet up in the air? Anything that cuts the "Mrs McGonigle and her ladies who lunch" brigade ability to object and put pressure on planning officials and councillors is OK in my book. Look what happened in Peebles.

I was happily surprised by the ease Coldstream got permission for their lights earlier this year. When they had to enclose the ground and erect a covered terrace a few years ago, it was a tortuous process. I took a drive down (as an "interested neutral") to a public meeting in the community centre, with almost 100 people present - many sceptical, and a minority vehemently opposed; it was ultimately put to a postal ballot of all households in the community council which they only won 51%-49%; various conditions were attached over paths & heights; etc.

At that public meeting they actually said "we won't be coming back in a few years and putting up lights" as a reassurance - but it seems hardly a ripple was caused when they did.

Of course not every club applying for planning permission may actually be able to raise the money for lights.
What happened with Peebles out of curiosity?

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:

What happened with Peebles out of curiosity?

Council put up £ for new 3G pitch with lights, pavilion etc.

Peebles Rovers and youth teams would have moved in.

Each part of the town said "not in my back yard - build it in another part of town!"... ultimately resorting to garbage like disrupting dog walkers, spoiling open-air yoga, and attracting 'undesirable types'... after a few years stalemate £ got redirected to fill potholes.

True- but I’d highly doubt applications would be put in place without at least a decent amount of funding raised and a strong hope the remainder would be achieved. Otherwise it’s just waisted effort and cash

Each part of the town said "not in my back yard - build it in another part of town!"... ultimately resorting to garbage like disrupting dog walkers, spoiling open-air yoga, and attracting 'undesirable types'... after a few years stalemate £ got redirected to fill potholes.
Shite state of affairs. Crying shame as I'd guess Peebles are limited with what they can do to Whitestone as part of it's used by the cricket team during summer montha.

On 12/10/2019 at 19:13, HibeeJibee said:

On the plus side, Peebles home is one of the nicest, most memorable grounds in the country. It must be one of the very few that you can go and sit in the stand any day of the week.