Work colleagues

8 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Back from his holiday, a colleague of mine has written a complaint to the School management complaining about his excessive workload and demanding a meeting to discuss this urgent issue. This colleague has the lowest workload in the team. 

Honestly, the first thing he did when he got back. 

You all know who it is. 

Yaaaaaaaaaas GIRUY

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Back from his holiday, a colleague of mine has written a complaint to the School management complaining about his excessive workload and demanding a meeting to discuss this urgent issue. This colleague has the lowest workload in the team. 

You all know who it is. 

He's promptly actioning the business critical work. Sounds like he's an exemplar employee.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

You all know who it is. 

These two things are not unrelated.

17 hours ago, Buzz Killington said:

Parking spaces at work:  very serious business.  Someone was in early today and parked in a different space (the one closest to the door obviously) and it has been the topic of conversation the entire day. 

Also every time a lorry passed the office. “Oh was that a rumble of thunder?“

Years ago worked in a place that had parking along the front of the office, the prime spots as you could walk out the front door, jump in the car and off you f**k. They made a section of them visitors spaces, but no lines, I'd changed my car and never informed reception of this so often parked over half the car in non visitor space and a section of the car deemed to be encroaching the visitors space. What a fucking stir this caused, emails going around, people walking around the office asking who's car it was (obviously the lads I work with are no grasses so found it funny) I'd heard they'd even been checking security cameras but couldn't make out who it was due to the distance. Some days I'd arrive early with a choice to do it or not, I'd do it anyway as I found the whole thing funny and the visitors spaces were hardly ever used. Anyway I left the job and was told by a former colleague it was still considered an open incident for years after this, place was full of oddballs man. 

On 13/06/2023 at 20:32, thistledo said:

Years ago worked in a place that had parking along the front of the office, the prime spots as you could walk out the front door, jump in the car and off you f**k. They made a section of them visitors spaces, but no lines, I'd changed my car and never informed reception of this so often parked over half the car in non visitor space and a section of the car deemed to be encroaching the visitors space. What a fucking stir this caused, emails going around, people walking around the office asking who's car it was (obviously the lads I work with are no grasses so found it funny) I'd heard they'd even been checking security cameras but couldn't make out who it was due to the distance. Some days I'd arrive early with a choice to do it or not, I'd do it anyway as I found the whole thing funny and the visitors spaces were hardly ever used. Anyway I left the job and was told by a former colleague it was still considered an open incident for years after this, place was full of oddballs man. 

A work colleague of mine drove a very flashy motor and was very particular about where he parked. Our office was in the Broomhouse area of Edinburgh and had a fairly small staff car park which filled up quickly. Cars parked in the surrounding streets were quite often vandalised. There was a work compound opposite the office (set up to build the tram line) and he used to park his car there. Managed to get away with it for quite a while before they realised he had nothing to do with the construction project and told him to gtf.

13 hours ago, Swarley said:

A work colleague of mine drove a very flashy motor and was very particular about where he parked. Our office was in the Broomhouse area of Edinburgh and had a fairly small staff car park which filled up quickly. Cars parked in the surrounding streets were quite often vandalised. There was a work compound opposite the office (set up to build the tram line) and he used to park his car there. Managed to get away with it for quite a while before they realised he had nothing to do with the construction project and told him to gtf.

There's nothing quite like a cheeky wee free or good parking when parking circumstances are pish. I used to work in the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and parking was either the APCOA parking nazis, Castle or Cathedral street parking, all required payment. However after a while I discovered this wee bit behind the old building that wasn't controlled by council, APCOA or anyone it seemed, a wee gem I even used for parking my car in the city until they finally put a barrier over it. I get the feeling you weren't meant to park there after some encounters, but there was no enforcement or signage. 

Until then I often parked in the old building car park where it was permit only, got a fine from the APCOA guys and then just keep putting the fine sticker back on the car every day, the perfect crime and they literally never clicked. Various debt companies chased me for years for that fine, eventually rising to around £260 I think. Not as bad as another guy I worked with who just parked wherever he wanted every day and got a fine every day, I remember talking to one of the APCOA parking guys who'd let me off with a fine a few times and so he should I was "moving hospital equipment" in my own car, he'd said about the rogue parking colleague that "he thinks he's so smart, that he'll never have to pay, but we're taking him to court and he has fines totaling nearly £20k" No idea if that ever happened, I doubt he'd be made to pay the full whack though. 

I'm through the looking glass now. I've no idea what is going on. 

The Prof called me on Teams on Friday. He had had his meeting with the Director to discuss his workload and in his words, "it didn't go well". The point he was making, apparently, is that the workload for everyone is too high, not just him. Specifically, me. He started listing the various jobs I do, then sent me a copy of the university sabbatical policy and suggested I apply for research leave. 

I'm assuming he's playing some kind of 5-dimensional chess here. No idea what these moves are about. 

54 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The Prof called me on Teams on Friday. He had had his meeting with the Director to discuss his workload and in his words, "it didn't go well". The point he was making, apparently, is that the workload for everyone is too high, not just him. Specifically, me. He started listing the various jobs I do, then sent me a copy of the university sabbatical policy and suggested I apply for research leave. 

I'm assuming he's playing some kind of 5-dimensional chess here. No idea what these moves are about. 

He can be the Yoda to your Luke. Learn well from this master.

57 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Best guess is he wants you to disappear for a little bit so they have to parcel out your jobs…resulting in a clear delineation of what jobs you do, and a revelation.

Second best guess, he’s playing you and wants “them” to realize you actually don’t do squat while being shown as doing everything.

Third guess, he lost his favorite sock in the tumble dryer and wants you to climb in and go look for it, Alice.

• 2 weeks later...

The wife started her new job last month. 

On Monday her replacement started in her old job. He started at 9 am and quit the job at 3.45 pm. Apparently he got an email saying he was being offered a better job elsewhere, but nobody is sure if it was true or not.

So...what's the least amount of time any P&Ber has lasted in a job?

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

On Monday her replacement started in her old job. He started at 9 am and quit the job at 3.45 pm. Apparently he got an email saying he was being offered a better job elsewhere, but nobody is sure if it was true or not.

@Ross. has just given a good benchmark in the call centre thread. I've tended to stick jobs out but was in a factory job once and a new guy started on our line at 7 a.m. Before first tea break his overalls were discovered neatly folded on a chair next to the side fire exit.

15 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

9 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

@Ross. has just given a good benchmark in the call centre thread. I've tended to stick jobs out but was in a factory job once and a new guy started on our line at 7 a.m. Before first tea break his overalls were discovered neatly folded on a chair next to the side fire exit.

Started at 10am and left around 2pm on a door to door sales job.

44 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I worked beside a guy who had previously got a job in a butcher's. He was told to clean out the mincing machine but didn't fancy it so was given the option of doing what he was told or getting the sack. Two hours, he lasted.

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I worked beside a guy who had previously got a job in a butcher's. He was told to clean out the mincing machine but didn't fancy it so was given the option of doing what he was told or getting the sack. Two hours, he lasted.

I thought at first this was the old joke about getting the sack because he put his Willie in the bacon slicer

Spoiler

The punchline being the bacon slicer was the butcher's daughter

20 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I thought at first this was the old joke about getting the sack because he put his Willie in the bacon slicer

Hide contents

The punchline being the bacon slicer was the butcher's daughter

Or the butcher who sat in the bacon slicer and got a little behind with the orders.

Just now, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I was just chatting with him at lunchtime!

He's got the workload model from his old university, and put his current workload through it. He's working 114% of a job, apparently. We put mine through and I'm on 152%. That doesn't even include my P&B time. 

Anyway, we have a new head of school starting in September and he's here meeting the senior staff today. The Prof was meeting him at 2, so I will find out soon if he raised this or if he'll wait for the guy to start before pestering him.