Work colleagues

3 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

What’s the etiquette on using the disabled toilet at work? I’ll confess to preferring it’s palatial surroundings to the normal one though I’ve always felt a bit guilty if someone is passing and sees me exiting.

Unless they’re sat outside the door in their wheelchair soaked in their own pish I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

14 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

What’s the etiquette on using the disabled toilet at work? I’ll confess to preferring it’s palatial surroundings to the normal one though I’ve always felt a bit guilty if someone is passing and sees me exiting.

23 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Has the tedious shite about Scottsdads work been resolved yet? I am skipping 4 months of pages cos it was fucking shite.

Wait until that is concluded and give us a paragraph about it FFS

Not at all. The Prof is a true master of shirking/work avoidance - every post from @scottsdad was a tutorial for the benefit of us all. 

what’s his latest wheeze?

1 hour ago, HK Hibee said:

Not at all. The Prof is a true master of shirking/work avoidance - every post from @scottsdad was a tutorial for the benefit of us all. 

what’s his latest wheeze?

He has been very proactive lately (and calling me very regularly to chat). His big thing is convincing us all that we are not working efficiently. Why do we have weekly lectures, for instance, when we could instead take students for three full days at some point during the semester instead?

If we adopt his model, then he can really spend time away at the timeshares. And to be fair, the idea of blocking out three days at some point that suits me appeals compared to being there at a set time every single week. 

It'll never fly though. Students will never go for it. 

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

He has been very proactive lately (and calling me very regularly to chat). His big thing is convincing us all that we are not working efficiently. Why do we have weekly lectures, for instance, when we could instead take students for three full days at some point during the semester instead?

If we adopt his model, then he can really spend time away at the timeshares. And to be fair, the idea of blocking out three days at some point that suits me appeals compared to being there at a set time every single week. 

It'll never fly though. Students will never go for it. 

I'm going to take a flyer and assume you work in the Faculty of Business Management because The Prof is coming over all Frederick Taylor-esque in his attempts at 'efficiency'.

Amirite ?

Just now, Florentine_Pogen said:

I'm going to take a flyer and assume you work in the Faculty of Business Management because The Prof is coming over all Frederick Taylor-esque in his attempts at 'efficiency'.

Amirite ?

Sorry, no - but the Prof does have a management background. 

The idea of taking a whole 12-week semester and telling students to show up for three days half way through, and doing f**k-all else, really does appeal. But as I say, the students and the timetabling team will never bite. 

@Busta Nut seems to have kicked off yet more Prof talk.

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Sorry, no - but the Prof does have a management background. 

The idea of taking a whole 12-week semester and telling students to show up for three days half way through, and doing f**k-all else, really does appeal. But as I say, the students and the timetabling team will never bite. 

@Busta Nut seems to have kicked off yet more Prof talk.

I doubt that would appeal to the parents of foreign students who are forking out £20k + p.a .

18 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

He wants to teach the students an entire semesters worth of material in 3 days?

What could possibly go wrong. 🤣

If he really wants optimal efficiency, why not just cancel all lectures because nobody learns much in them anyway. Instead, have everything available online with a supporting textbook as well.

Then convert the lectures into detailed work-sessions where examples are gone through in detail.

Then leave the students to either sink or swim.

This is kind of what he is proposing. 

We have online, pre-recorded lectures (as we have had since the start of the pandemic) Students would watch these and read the textbooks. Then the 3 days are taken with tasks given to the students. These days could all be back to back (Mon-Wed, say) or three Mondays in a row, or similar. 

The profs idea would never work, most students lose interest at some point during an hours lecture never mind sitting there all day. 

I had a lecturer at uni that declared his lectures would never last longer than 30 mins as he had read a study that suggested most people couldn’t pay attention for any longer than that. 

2 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

The profs idea would never work, most students lose interest at some point during an hours lecture never mind sitting there all day. 

I had a lecturer at uni that declared his lectures would never last longer than 30 mins as he had read a study that suggested most people couldn’t pay attention for any longer than that. 

A study that he'd written himself, I'll wager..............................

14 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I saw studies saying 45 minutes. So I teach in blocks of 45 minutes with tea breaks that follow. 

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I have to say that I think 45 minutes is too long.

Personally I found myself struggling after about half an hour of passive learning and I was always a good and engaged student.

Mind you, looking at the rows sleepy faces around me I could see that for some people 10 minutes was their limit.

Were ye, aye ?

Worked in this job since May 2021, every day WFH. Never had a day in office yet.

1st day in office next Thursday, and from end march looks like about 2 days a week in office.

Have had two nights out where met some colleagues but many never even met even though emails and Teams every day - 

our Teams always done without cameras. So not a clue what most even look like.

Wonder if will still really like job when have to share office space / tea routines / lunch smells etc. with colleagues.

2 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Worked in this job since May 2021, every day WFH. Never had a day in office yet.

1st day in office next Thursday, and from end march looks like about 2 days a week in office.

Have had two nights out where met some colleagues but many never even met even though emails and Teams every day - 

our Teams always done without cameras. So not a clue what most even look like.

Wonder if will still really like job when have to share office space / tea routines / lunch smells etc. with colleagues.

I recall with my first job I was working on a project where I had to talk to someone down in London several times a week. 

After a few months I went down to London, to visit his office and meet him for the first time.

It was really weird when a complete stranger met me at reception with a voice I was very familiar with.

On 23/02/2022 at 20:11, Alert Mongoose said:

The red string hanging down isn't a flush, it's a panic alarm. 

Apparently the designated helper mannie gets all arsey if people pull it by mistake, i've heard.