Work colleagues

I find worth in my working hours by researching/purchasing/facilitating the things I like to do when i'm off, carrying out personal business that would otherwise eat up time when i'm off, and then once all that is done, shitposting on P&B. The system works

Bad few days for the Prof, all told. 

After being instructed by the Head of School last week to deliver this one course, he went very silent to me. But he has been busy. He came back with a counter proposal whereby he would teach a couple of lectures from three different courses (including one of mine). As such he was arguing that he was in fact delivering three courses! In reality he'd be doing six lectures in total, no marking, no course leadership, and so on. This was "easing the burden" of his colleagues.

He tried to sell this to the deputies and the Head. They were having none of it though - the Head has a background in teaching rather than research and saw it for a scam. The Prof then tried his old trick of meeting successive people starting each one with "I was just with so and so and we agreed this..." when, in fact, nothing had been agreed.

Yesterday he finally agreed to meet me. For me, it was to discuss timetabling on his course. For him, it was trying to get me to agree to his plan (for if one person agreed, he could then snowball that along by going to the next meeting saying "Scottsdad and I have agreed that I can do this instead..."). 

I met the deputy he has been dealing with mostly right before meeting the Prof, and she filled me in on his plan and schemes. He has really pissed off all the management now. 

So yesterday I met with the Prof and he started with "I met the deputy and we discussed a proposal..." and I replied "Me, too. Literally just finished a call with her." This threw him off his stride as he couldn't do his usual trick. And so he backed down and we went through his schedule for the semester. To say he's glum is an understatement. 

With the Head this morning we just went over all this, giving him all the details. Not sure what the Head will do with this going forward, if anything, but he is very unhappy. Having one member of staff take on one course shouldn't ever cross his desk. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Has @Mark Connolly been sacked yet? 

He has not.

This morning’s meeting was to tell us that the senior boss will be supervising our team while middle management cunto takes a leave of absence on medical grounds.

Turns out he fucked off early yesterday to get a sick line for stress…

14 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Given that you spend about 50 years in employment and that your job takes up most of your waking hours, wouldn't you prefer to find or work towards securing a job you actually like rather than waste the bulk of your adult life trying to avoid shite work?

I must be missing something here because what you are describing sounds like a pretty fucking depressing way to spend your few years of life?

It's impossible for EVERYONE to do something they enjoy. It's great you were able to do that, not everyone can. Someone, somewhere needs to do a job they don't like out of necessity, it doesn't make them stupid or wasteful of their life. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's impossible for EVERYONE to do something they enjoy. It's great you were able to do that, not everyone can. Someone, somewhere needs to do a job they don't like out of necessity, it doesn't make them stupid or wasteful of their life. 

It's just a coincidence in my case.

Honestly, I don't get how an academic institution is so inept at management (would be a hoot if this was within the School of Management) that a new member of staff has to be personally instructed by the HoS to carry out his duties but said staff member then goes behind the back of HoS to weasel out of his commitments.
An absolute farrago and a terrible advert for the actual University itself.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Honestly, I don't get how an academic institution (I'm assuming this is Stirling Uni, btw) is so inept at management (would be a hoot if this was within the School of Management) that a new member of staff has to be personally instructed by the HoS to carry out his duties but said staff member then goes behind the back of HoS to weasel out of his commitments.

You could add all their names now.

8 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Honestly, I don't get how an academic institution (I'm assuming this is Stirling Uni, btw) is so inept at management (would be a hoot if this was within the School of Management) that a new member of staff has to be personally instructed by the HoS to carry out his duties but said staff member then goes behind the back of HoS to weasel out of his commitments.

Within the past year our Management School has failed to set a timer correctly for an online examination resulting in anyone who felt disadvantaged being offered a resit opportunity for no penalty (presumably a different exam, but still....) and our School of Maths miscalculated the results of a resit exam meaning that at least 5 students were incorrectly informed they had failed the module.

20 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Honestly, I don't get how an academic institution is so inept at management (would be a hoot if this was within the School of Management) that a new member of staff has to be personally instructed by the HoS to carry out his duties but said staff member then goes behind the back of HoS to weasel out of his commitments.

The failure here was recruiting a guy whom the staff had knowledge and experience of, and fed back to the interview panel that they didn't want him as he has a reputation of being "difficult". 

The uni management (including the Principal) decided that the staff were wrong and recruited him anyway. 

38 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Bad few days for the Prof, all told. 

After being instructed by the Head of School last week to deliver this one course, he went very silent to me. But he has been busy. He came back with a counter proposal whereby he would teach a couple of lectures from three different courses (including one of mine). As such he was arguing that he was in fact delivering three courses! In reality he'd be doing six lectures in total, no marking, no course leadership, and so on. This was "easing the burden" of his colleagues.

He tried to sell this to the deputies and the Head. They were having none of it though - the Head has a background in teaching rather than research and saw it for a scam. The Prof then tried his old trick of meeting successive people starting each one with "I was just with so and so and we agreed this..." when, in fact, nothing had been agreed.

Yesterday he finally agreed to meet me. For me, it was to discuss timetabling on his course. For him, it was trying to get me to agree to his plan (for if one person agreed, he could then snowball that along by going to the next meeting saying "Scottsdad and I have agreed that I can do this instead..."). 

I met the deputy he has been dealing with mostly right before meeting the Prof, and she filled me in on his plan and schemes. He has really pissed off all the management now. 

So yesterday I met with the Prof and he started with "I met the deputy and we discussed a proposal..." and I replied "Me, too. Literally just finished a call with her." This threw him off his stride as he couldn't do his usual trick. And so he backed down and we went through his schedule for the semester. To say he's glum is an understatement. 

With the Head this morning we just went over all this, giving him all the details. Not sure what the Head will do with this going forward, if anything, but he is very unhappy. Having one member of staff take on one course shouldn't ever cross his desk. 

He must have got away with this at his last place to think he could get away with it in a new job. I assume they gave him glowing references to get rid of him?

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

He must have got away with this at his last place to think he could get away with it in a new job. I assume they gave him glowing references to get rid of him?

I imagine the party at his old place is still going on 6 weeks after he left.

micheal-scoot-in-funny-hat.gif

23 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The failure here was recruiting a guy whom the staff had knowledge and experience of, and fed back to the interview panel that they didn't want him as he has a reputation of being "difficult". 

The uni management (including the Principal) decided that the staff were wrong and recruited him anyway. 

Are you seriously suggesting that informal feedback should interfere with a recruitment process.

In what parallel universe do employers put it to a vote of existing staff who gets a job?

You're going to get the place shut down!

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Are you seriously suggesting that informal feedback should interfere with a recruitment process.

In what parallel universe do employers put it to a vote of existing staff who gets a job?

You're going to get the place shut down!

It wasn't informal feedback, but part of the recruitment process. I think I posted this previously but all applicants for academic posts give a presentation to the staff. The staff then gathered their views and opinions (this process is usually done using questionnaires). Then a staff member collates these views.

The candidates then go for their formal interview the next day. The staff member designated as the "staff voice" is then invited in at the end of the interview process to deliver these views to the interview panel. The panel were told in no uncertain terms, as part of the recruitment process, what the staff thought not only of the Prof but the other applicants too.

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It wasn't informal feedback, but part of the recruitment process. I think I posted this previously but all applicants for academic posts give a presentation to the staff. The staff then gathered their views and opinions (this process is usually done using questionnaires). Then a staff member collates these views.

The candidates then go for their formal interview the next day. The staff member designated as the "staff voice" is then invited in at the end of the interview process to deliver these views to the interview panel. The panel were told in no uncertain terms, as part of the recruitment process, what the staff thought not only of the Prof but the other applicants too.

Wouldn't that be about the application and presentation, not I heard he's a bit of a cùnt.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Wouldn't that be about the application and presentation, not I heard he's a bit of a cùnt.

Fair point, but the questions asked weren't just about the presentation but if this person was a leader in their field etc etc. And as a fair number of our staff had had dealings with him before, it opened the door.