Work colleagues

The Prof is an utter shagger, and I can’t wait for his retirement announcement to go in at the last possible moment before he has to do a single second of teaching.
Probably still enough leeway for him to go off on long term sick leave, citing stress brought on by a 'managerial witchunt', so 6 months full pay, 6 months half pay during which he can spend some time lotus-eating on a Greek island and then a nice settlement payoff after he threatens the Uni with an employment tribunal.
I'm rapidly coming to see the Prof as a hero for our times.........

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The Prof is an utter shagger, and I can’t wait for his retirement announcement to go in at the last possible moment before he has to do a single second of teaching.

I'm waiting for the announcement that he's never done any teaching, ever... and has been faking the whole professor thing for the last twenty years.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

I'm waiting for the announcement that he's never done any teaching, ever... and has been faking the whole professor thing for the last twenty years.

No I think he's legit, he's always talking about it on here...

You mean the other guy, don't you?

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

With this guy, we had loads of warning signs before he came but the uni appointed him anyway. Now he's here his reputation for being difficult and intransigent seems well earned. The way I see it now is that I'm in the exact same position as before he came, except a few people got to shed some tedious jobs to him. Jobs he might excel at, or neglect. 

On academia, about 20 years ago the uni I was at had a round of redundancies. One guy took a payout big enough to pay off his mortgage and get a new car. During the negotiation process however the uni realised that they needed him to teach all his courses. So they then re-hired him at the same salary as he had been on before. He never missed so much as a single day of work. Redundancy on the 31st of the month, "new" job starts on the 1st of the next month. He is now dean of teaching at that same uni. 

Sounds fishy.  He wouldn't be redundant then.

ETA even if the Uni was prepared to eat the redundancy money the tax man would be taking a look and want his tax free cut back.

Edited by Left Back

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Sounds fishy.  He wouldn't be redundant then.

ETA even if the Uni was prepared to eat the redundancy money the tax man would be taking a look and want his tax free cut back.

Exactly! The whole point of redundancy is that the role is no longer needed. This wasn't the case.  As @oaksoft said, academia can be utterly batshit crazy at times.

One more example. My old boss went to the department estates supervisor to discuss his office. This was in the days when you could have kettles, printers and stuff in your own office. My boss wanted to put a fish tank in his office. The supervisor gave a lengthy explanation of why this wasn't possible, whilst feeding the fish in his own fish tank. 

Wallace Sayre had a good quote about it: "Academic politics are so vicious precisely because the stakes are so small."

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Do you really want to be that guy? Don't get me wrong, I don't care much for people but I couldn't be like this guy. Behind these types of people is a hole in their lives that they are over-compensating for. I've yet to meet any of them who go home happy at night.

Absolutely agree here. I worked with a guy about ten years ago who was way overdue for retirement, most experienced person in his dept, PhD the works. He treated everyone regardless of who they were like he had just scraped them off the sole of his shoe. When he finally retired it turned out his wife was an uberhag who absolutely dominated him. No wonder he was avoiding being at home as much as possible and was always a twat to folk! 😂

Edited by cb_diamond

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I remember Pink Floyd described this sort of thing in 1979 with the Brick in the Wall lyrics. 🤣

Don't know if you are old enough to remember that this was a time where it was considered a good thing to allow fully grown men and women to deliberately batter primary school children with belts whenever they felt like it.

Beggars belief how stupid society are, it really does. And they only stopped doing this around 36 years ago as well.

Not old enough to remember the belt, but old enough to have been about in the transitional phase after it and met some of the older male teachers in particular who were clearly around and were still prone to bouncing erasers off kids heads, giving them a slap on the head etc with impunity 😂

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I remember Pink Floyd described this sort of thing in 1979 with the Brick in the Wall lyrics. 🤣

Don't know if you are old enough to remember that this was a time where it was considered a good thing to allow fully grown men and women to deliberately batter primary school children with belts whenever they felt like it.

Beggars belief how stupid society are, it really does. And they only stopped doing this around 36 years ago as well.

I started school in 84, roughly around the time the belt was outlawed can still mind clear as day classmates getting rapped off the knuckles with a wooden ruler.

The more they laughed while being hit the more pissed aff the teacher got and it just went round in circles. Good times. 😄😄

We had teachers so brutal with the belt that they used to put books on the wrist of the child to stop the belt causing serious damage if the guy's wild swing landed up the wrist.
Worth letting THAT sink in for a second.
It's sickening when I think back to it.
"Spare the rod, spoil the child..."

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Given that it was 20 years ago, it's likely that mortgage was pretty small compared to the ludicrous £120k mortgages people are apparently taking out nowadays.

Even including paying him enough to cover the tax loss, he propbably only needed a £60k payoff to get rid of whatever he still owed.

He could also have just paid off enough of a chunk to make the mortgage essentially zero in all but name.

And then of course, that academic could simply have been bullshitting for attention seeking purposes. That is the most likely scenario.

And the rest 😂

25 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Had a wee Google and apparently the average UK mortgage is £140k.

I feel sick just thinking about having that level of debt.

No wonder the Bank of England is reluctant to raise interest rates back to historically normal levels of 5%.

It was always the rule of financial prudence that 3 times your salary was the maximum you should borrow.

Given that the average salary is under £30k in Scotland, it's clear that the banks are still engaging in totally irresponsible lending.

So many people must be right on the edge of disaster if a single thing goes wrong.

Two people in the family can work and get a joint mortgage with 3 x combined salary.

16 hours ago, oaksoft said:

We had teachers so brutal with the belt that they used to put books on the wrist of the child to stop the belt causing serious damage if the guy's wild swing landed up the wrist.

Worth letting THAT sink in for a second.

It's sickening when I think back to it.

I got the belt once during art class. I had my sleeves rolled up and the teacher misjudged the distance and I ended up with a red mark all the way up my forearm.

I was about eight,

No wonder the Bank of England is reluctant to raise interest rates back to historically normal levels of 5%.
It was always the rule of financial prudence that 3 times your salary was the maximum you should borrow.
Given that the average salary is under £30k in Scotland, it's clear that the banks are still engaging in totally irresponsible lending.
So many people must be right on the edge of disaster if a single thing goes wrong.

So 2 people earning £30k times 3 is £180k so £140k is decent. Then of course you have plenty of people earning a lot more than that.

I’m in Edinburgh and you’d be lucky to get a decent home for £180k never mind 140k

You do have a point though, a lot of people will be in trouble if the interest rate jumps.

At least with a mortgage you can sell your house and own a bit more of it every month, compared to renting which I believe costs more and you own nothing.

7 minutes ago, steelmen said:

So 2 people earning £30k times 3 is £180k so £140k is decent. Then of course you have plenty of people earning a lot more than that.

I’m in Edinburgh and you’d be lucky to get a decent home for £180k never mind 140k

You do have a point though, a lot of people will be in trouble if the interest rate jumps.

When rather than if.