Work colleagues

Well that meeting was odd. It seems that the guy has been doing a round robin of meetings, and each time misrepresenting what has been said in other meetings. He told me what had apparently been in the meeting between him and the Head of Institute, told the deputy Head what had gone on in my meeting with him...each time not being straight. 

So when he told me "The Head of School has agreed that I can...." that was bollocks. He floated the idea and the HoS said he'd think about it. Likewise he has told other people that I said stuff I didn't. 

So, we're having a single, big meeting with everyone present to discuss it. The fact he has done this has pissed of a whole boatload of people. Given he joined us 20 days ago, this is quite a poor first impression. He's made no pals in the School management. 

53 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Really? Perhaps I'm far more George Costanza than the general population but I'd gladly be paid to do that.

Me too, I'd just use the time to faff about on the internet and post rubbish on here. If I got really bored, I'd maybe consider doing some online learning. Getting paid to sit and study while looking like you're busy...win win. 

17 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Well that meeting was odd. It seems that the guy has been doing a round robin of meetings, and each time misrepresenting what has been said in other meetings. He told me what had apparently been in the meeting between him and the Head of Institute, told the deputy Head what had gone on in my meeting with him...each time not being straight. 

So when he told me "The Head of School has agreed that I can...." that was bollocks. He floated the idea and the HoS said he'd think about it. Likewise he has told other people that I said stuff I didn't. 

So, we're having a single, big meeting with everyone present to discuss it. The fact he has done this has pissed of a whole boatload of people. Given he joined us 20 days ago, this is quite a poor first impression. He's made no pals in the School management. 

This legend is coming out this with a payrise and a reduced workload. 

6 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Me too, I'd just use the time to faff about on the internet and post rubbish on here. If I got really bored, I'd maybe consider doing some online learning. Getting paid to sit and study while looking like you're busy...win win. 

Back in 2009 I was in a boring as f**k job with the Council's Roads Department, and whiled away much of my time pissing about on here. Sadly this was also in the days where internet usage was heavily monitored. I was called in the to managers office to explain why my internet usage had been 20X higher than anyone else's in the last month and asked what "Pie & Bovril" was. That was awkward. 

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Leaving the financial aspect aside, under-employment is much, much worse than unemployment because not only do you have no physical purpose, everyone around you can see that you are not needed. It's an absolute killer for anyone with any career ambition.

From the info passed on by scottsdad so far this Professor is quite well known in his field and has books out, I assume detailing his research. He has spent his first 20 days in this employment trying to manipulate others in his department to try and shift some of the work he's been saddled with. I'm going to place this guys career ambition currently at the "coast it all the way to retirement" level. 

39 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

This legend is coming out this with a payrise and a reduced workload. 

I doubt it - the people he has pissed off are the people who decide workloads. If he thought he was being clever this has backfired badly. 

1 minute ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Jeez, it's only somebody missing a few days from work, it's not exactly The China Syndrome.

It's all David Lodge ever wrote about, and he got a couple of TV series out of it.

8 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Jeez, it's only somebody missing a few days from work, it's not exactly The China Syndrome.

Just watched that again the other night. There'll be more shagging in Oaksoft's script.

2 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Good point. I forgot about campus fiction as a genre. Right, off to re-read Porterhouse Blue.

Tom Sharpe, one of the few authors that actually made me laugh out loud. Terry Pratchett was another.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Tom Sharpe, one of the few authors that actually made me laugh out loud. Terry Pratchett was another.

I first read Porterhouse Blue on a plane. Surprised I didn't break a rib trying not to laugh out loud. Superb book and a great writer.

5 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

For the film this meeting should take place walking along a corridor

Don't forget - Scottsdad quite likes Star Trek.  In the film, the whole thing will take place at Starfleet Academy and the professor will be a Klingon.

17 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Back in 2009 I was in a boring as f**k job with the Council's Roads Department, and whiled away much of my time pissing about on here. Sadly this was also in the days where internet usage was heavily monitored. I was called in the to managers office to explain why my internet usage had been 20X higher than anyone else's in the last month and asked what "Pie & Bovril" was. That was awkward. 

I got a not so subtle hint about viewing "Pie & Mash", this was back in 2014/15. We were a (very small) branch office of a multinational firm, all internet useage could be monitored from London. Apparently the boss had been queried why he'd had the golf on all day (it may have been a Ryder Cup) - he said he'd been dipping in and out of it rather than watching it constantly (not sure if I believe him to be honest about not watching it constantly).

I continued to leave "Pie & Mash" open most of the day, and never had an issue with it.

59 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I just fronted up and said it was a football website and I had been pretty bored. Strangely my secondment wasn't made permanent. 

Honesty is most often the best policy.