Work colleagues

4 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Probably cause its sat at a computer screen for 9 hours a fucking day I'd imagine. Rather mop floors or flip burgers than that shite tbh.

What is it about sitting at a computer that you find completely hellish?

Burger flippers are sat in front of the same cooker every day, cleaners are mopping the same floors every day. I just don't understand why office work is seen as the most soul destroying job you could get by many. It's a job like many others with advantages and disadvantages. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Burger flippers are sat in front of the same cooker every day, cleaners are mopping the same floors every day. I just don't understand why office work is seen as the most soul destroying job you could get by many. It's a job like many others with advantages and disadvantages. 

Probably cause with those jobs you can at least move around a bit, not sat stationary at a desk for most of the day. That, combined with some of the utterly desperate, rank patter laid out in this thread and I think I'd want to kill myself within a week.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Depends on what you are doing, I find. Some tedious, repetitive task can really tire you out. If your work is varied and interesting, all the better. 

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I bet there's tonnes of office romances/quickies in the stationary cupboard at that type of work environment

Some 19 year old filing clerk getting caught flinging one up the married head of HR by the cleaner after hours.  Glorious.

It won't be stationary too long if there's a quickie going on inside it...

7 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Probably cause with those jobs you can at least move around a bit, not sat stationary at a desk for most of the day. That, combined with some of the utterly desperate, rank patter laid out in this thread and I think I'd want to kill myself within a week.

Office workers aren't chained to their seat and are encouraged to have regular breaks from staring at the screen. Patter isn't office specific, I'd far rather sit in here and listen to some slightly pish/boring patter than some of the all out bigotry/racism you get from folk on the tools (in my experience). I can imagine working in a call centre where you can only leave your seat for a pish being particularly soul destroying but general office work isn't that bad (again, in my experience). 

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

If you don't need to interact with anyone else for the whole day it can be pretty soul destroying.

A fair point, as above I can see call centres being shite and if you don't have any interaction that could be bad for you. Every chance a cleaner doesn't have any interaction at work too though, it's not really a specific problem with office work. 

When I was a PhD student (seem to have started a few posts like this today) I spent a lot of time computer programming. Anyone who has done this knows that after a while it can be hard to look at the screen. Come 2ish in the afternoon it just became impossible to see it properly. do, enddo, if, endif, and, or...all of these things bled into one. 

There was a 9 hole pitch and putt course nearby, and a mate of mine and I would go there for an hour. Come back, having been away from the screen, and it was fine. I could go for a few more hours. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I had a job in the summer of 1999 as a door to door salesman, selling gas and electricity contracts on behalf of Scottish power. We'd hit a new town every week, meet lots of new and interesting people. And it was the worst job I ever had. 

Plus, the old hands who were training me were full of stories that ended up with them chapping on the door of a lonely housewife, pumping her, getting a home cooked meal (in one case being given a suitcase of her husband's shirts) and moving on to the next. That never happened with me. 

Reveal hidden contents

1616153820MHA_1.jpg

Incel thread for that sort of chat

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I had a job in the summer of 1999 as a door to door salesman, selling gas and electricity contracts on behalf of Scottish power. We'd hit a new town every week, meet lots of new and interesting people. And it was the worst job I ever had. 

Medicine Show.jpg

39 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I sit at a computer all day, well I'm supposed to anyway and I mean, it is fucking shite, but mopping floors, cleaning or stacking shelves also sounds fucking shite. In fact, aren't all jobs fucking shite, boring, soul crushing. 

Does anyone actually enjoy what they do, if so what do you do please? No bullshit either, genuinely look forward to going to work, nothing less. 

Just now, thistledo said:

I sit at a computer all day, well I'm supposed to anyway and I mean, it is fucking shite, but mopping floors, cleaning or stacking shelves also sounds fucking shite. In fact, aren't all jobs fucking shite, boring, soul crushing. 

Does anyone actually enjoy what they do, if so what do you do please? No bullshit either, genuinely look forward to going to work, nothing less. 

When I was a brickie I used to enjoy it when the boss wasn't there because he's a cunt. He would quite often be away for days at a time working on or pricing other jobs and I'd be left by myself building an extension/garage/retaining wall and it was fucking magic. I sit at a desk all day now in a totally different career and it's fucking spunk.

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Best job I ever had was as a cleaner.

Oh aye, I don't mean to put any of these jobs down, just that if you boil each job down to it's simplest form it generally involves you doing something pretty mundane for 9 hours a day, generally in the same place. I reckon I'd be just as happy mopping a floor as I am sat behind a computer. 

1 minute ago, thistledo said:

Some folk do get to do things they love/enjoy but those folk should realise they are in the minority. One of my mates went from being a borderline alcoholic who worked in a bank to a personal trainer, he now spends his days telling folk to "Do what they love!" each day because look, he's been able to do it! It was easy enough for him to get into personal training because he spent about 2 years being personal trained, he then got a job coaching with the guy who coached him and built from there. Not everyone will fall into their "perfect" job that easily and I reckon people who do get that opportunity have a hard time seeing how difficult it can be for others. 

7 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I think the best anyone can hope for is not actively hating their job, and getting some degree of satisfaction out of it. But even if someone does really like their job, there will be something about it that they don’t enjoy/look forward to

9 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I do, but the job of a lecturer is actually three small jobs rolled into one. I teach from September to December. I have some administration I need to do. And then there is research. This keeps things varied for me.

I really enjoy the teaching but wouldn't fancy doing it for 40 weeks a year. 12 is plenty. The pastoral care element is important to me also - students come to me with their problems which vary from the trivial to the utterly serious. I like helping them out when I can. 

Like any job, there are bits I'm not keen on. No academic enjoys the administration side of things. But for some reason the university have given me a fairly important role so, again, keeps me interested. 

Research is what I'm judged on as an academic - papers, patents, funding. It's what I enjoy the most. Finding out stuff nobody else knows. Sometimes my work hits the news, which is nice for my parents. 

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

When I was a brickie I used to enjoy it when the boss wasn't there because he's a c**t. He would quite often be away for days at a time working on or pricing other jobs and I'd be left by myself building an extension/garage/retaining wall and it was fucking magic. I sit at a desk all day now in a totally different career and it's fucking spunk.

Curious to know, why the change of career? I might need a retaining wall in the near future tbh. At least 5 houses on my estate are currently getting some sort of house modification or building work at the moment (the constant banging and grinding (yes yes Kenneth Williams gif) is really adding to my day) and about another 5 houses have already had this type of work done already in lockdown. Seems this kind of building trade stuff is absolutely booming. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Some folk do get to do things they love/enjoy but those folk should realise they are in the minority. One of my mates went from being a borderline alcoholic who worked in a bank to a personal trainer, he now spends his days telling folk to "Do what they love!" each day because look, he's been able to do it! It was easy enough for him to get into personal training because he spent about 2 years being personal trained, he then got a job coaching with the guy who coached him and built from there. Not everyone will fall into their "perfect" job that easily and I reckon people who do get that opportunity have a hard time seeing how difficult it can be for others. 

Lucky guy, PT wouldn't be for me, probably because i'm a lazy b*****d and like to drink beer. 

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think the best anyone can hope for is not actively hating their job, and getting some degree of satisfaction out of it. But even if someone does really like their job, there will be something about it that they don’t enjoy/look forward to

See this is where I am, maybe, I don't hate it... I just cant get over the fact that, really, it's fucking boring and it all just feels a bit pointless. I literally only do it for the money, which is good. 

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I do, but the job of a lecturer is actually three small jobs rolled into one. I teach from September to December. I have some administration I need to do. And then there is research. This keeps things varied for me.

I don't think anyone would listen to me lecture them voluntarily, it's nice you enjoy it, but I think it would bore me to death. 

Basically subtly looking for career change advice here now. 

On 20/08/2021 at 12:17, thistledo said:

I have never to this day found out the real story of what happened and Kent has never told me either, but her brothers’ recollections of the night improved to surmise he potentially went home with a sex worker. Perhaps had a really nice time.

9tC7xqg.thumb.jpg.8857c01ca8366f09dcd9d3eccddf80bc.jpg