Work colleagues

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Anyone that goes to a Christmas night out is a pure fanny.

Ach, I've been to many over the years - some good, some just OK.  I've never been to a bad one but then again I've given a swerve to a few as I knew they'd be shite.  

Think we've carried over our budget from last year that was never used so, for the first time I think we can try and get somewhere without a requirement of it costing under £20 per head.

Im just going to take charge and book it to get some decent scran.  

There's a post on this thread somewhere about a Christmas night out I actually helped organise, it's an alright read if you can be arsed. 

On that very Christmas night out a lass from the office, who in the weeks previous to this had made certain advances which I turned down, more or less got fingered at the bar whilst a good few of us were standing around mid conversation with her and the lad involved. 

I actually quite like works Christmas nights out*

*If the people you work with aren't total c***s, can be rare. 

The very thought of work Christmas depresses me. I'm actually finding it hard to express how much I dread being in the company of most of these people in work never mind a social setting. I really hope they feel the same. If I even get asked to go I obviously haven't made my position clear enough over the years.

12 minutes ago, thistledo said:

There's a post on this thread somewhere about a Christmas night out I actually helped organise, it's an alright read if you can be arsed. 

On that very Christmas night out a lass from the office, who in the weeks previous to this had made certain advances which I turned down, more or less got fingered at the bar whilst a good few of us were standing around mid conversation with her and the lad involved. 

Did you get any sloppy seconds?  

5 hours ago, thistledo said:

Why turn her down when she was a 9?

were-just-trying-to-make-sense-of-things

16 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Ive had quite a few different workplaces over the last 10years. Results in giving the first xmas night out at each place the benefit of the doubt....

They're all tragic and rammed full of folk who never actually go out. They get pissed after 3drinks and talk about work and their weans. Boring bastvrds.

Far better just having a few drinks with a few of the good guys/girls you actually like on another day.

We used to just have them on a section basis or just informal groups of folk who actually got on with each other - a few years back it was decided from on high that from now on there was going to be a take-it-or-leave-it one size fits all event or nothing.

Given the amount of middleaged punters involved who only get out three times a year, the general effect is much like a school disco where the weans have been spirited away and replaced with their drunk parents.

Guy left our work last week and we went out for pints on the Friday. There was a mention of the folk who clearly never go out earlier in the thread and sitting at the table when I walked in was two of these middle-aged-but-verging-on-auld women who had already sank a bottle of wine between them in the first 20 minutes. It was a good day, I sat and sank a few pints before wisely taking myself home around 7pm. Arrived at work on Monday, one of the aforementioned women has a peach of a black eye and some pretty severe scrapes down her face, poorly covered by 3 tonnes of make up. Turns out they were turfed out closing time, she's cowped it onto the pavement and smashed her face, the other women then tried to get her home by dragging her along the road. 

Last place I worked, each location was given £50 to cover any Christmas celebration, which would need to be split among up to thirty-odd people at some places, most of whom were volunteers. Thanks for giving us so much of your free time this year - here's our contribution towards half a shandy.

They stopped it last year because "it's becoming too expensive in these Covid times" (approx. £1,000 in total from an organisation with a multi-million pound turnover).

I was recently assigned to a project in another area of our business along with 4 of my colleagues, we all had exactly the same training from one of the actual trainers in the company, we also have the boss of the other department and three other more experienced colleagues that we were told to direct questions towards. Instead 3 of the 4 people assigned to the project with me have decided I’m the one they should ask all their (often stupid) questions to. Apart from questions about the new work we are doing, which they could answer themselves if only they had paid attention in training, I’ve been asked how to search for something in Excel, is a phone number out of service if I get a message telling me it is out of service? How do I copy the contents of an email onto a word document? How do I move documents from one folder to another? Why can’t I see the date in Excel? (the column was too small) and Why can’t I get these two documents to sit beside each other in the folder like yours?

I sometimes wonder if they just pulled all the morons from our department to work from this other one, and how much of a moron that makes me.

homer.jpg

Edited by Torpar

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Last place I worked, each location was given £50 to cover any Christmas celebration, which would need to be split among up to thirty-odd people at some places, most of whom were volunteers. Thanks for giving us so much of your free time this year - here's our contribution towards half a shandy.

They stopped it last year because "it's becoming too expensive in these Covid times" (approx. £1,000 in total from an organisation with a multi-million pound turnover).

Companies should never underestimate the message stuff like this gives out. 

My work, who are a fairly large company, have a Xmas fund (thousands) which one of the managers need to apply for. But none of the managers are "fussed" so don't do it. 

They then complain that the office atmosphere is not good and communication needs to improve, i've worked there 5 years and know about 20 out of 100 people that work there.

Equally i had a job where everyone paid in £5 in per month for nights out/xmas etc - the only one was the xmas night out and we got a £20 bottle of wine shared between 5 on the table. I asked the question where the money had gone and was told to stop complaining and be grateful. Later found out the boss who was on 100k plus was helping himself to it.

Edited by red23

18 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Anyone that goes to a Christmas night out is a pure fanny.

13 hours ago, hk blues said:

Ach, I've been to many over the years - some good, some just OK.  I've never been to a bad one but then again I've given a swerve to a few as I knew they'd be shite.  

aye They are ok if you go and hang with folk who are ok. Avoid the weirdos.

Saying that, I hardly go to them

Edited by Busta Nut

13 minutes ago, red23 said:

Companies should never underestimate the message stuff like this gives out. 

My work, who are a fairly large company, have a Xmas fund (thousands) which one of the managers need to apply for. But none of the managers are "fussed" so don't do it. 

They then complain that the office atmosphere is not good and communication needs to improve, i've worked there 5 years and know about 20 out of 100 people that work there.

Equally i had a job where everyone pays in £5 in per month for nights out/xmas etc - the only one was the xmas night out and we got a £20 bottle of wine shared between 5 on the table. I asked the question where the money had gone and was told to stop complaining and be grateful. Later found out the boss who was on 100k plus was helping himself.

Similar to this, I used to be in the local Wetherspoon fairly often as my son liked to go there for a meal - that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. Some of the staff started remembering him and were very nice to the wee boy, so I'd leave a tip when we left. Ran into one of them in the street after they'd found another job, and he told me not to bother with the tips, as it was company policy that staff have to hand it all over to the manager, and it was all kept in the safe and (supposedly) divided up as a 'bonus' at the end of the year. If you worked there from February 'til November, you ended up with hee-haw apart from your basic wage. Haven't been able to confirm that with anyone, but it's an odd thing to have made up.

I think these companies know exactly what message they're sending out TBH.

Edited by BFTD
Too much supposedly