Work colleagues

On 16/07/2021 at 13:05, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I remember going to the Marshall Lodge near Aberfoyle when I was a wean, and they had two of these big hippy chickens on display - one in winter plumage, one in summer. 

Imagine the scene: BANG! "Right that's one for the taxidermist. Now remember where we found them - we'll come back for the other fucker in six months"

My mum's uncle worked for the Forestry Commission, and one summer we visited the Davie Marshall Lodge and they had a massive cardboard cut-out of him as part of a display. It was there for years.

When they finally took it down, after he had died, my mum made a pilgrimage to ask if they still had it, and if they'd give it to us. Didn't think about it at the time, but life could've been a bit weird with a bigger-than-life-size picture of a dead relative next to (IIRC) a dead stag in the living room.

Back in the office for the first time since March 2020.

star-trek-enterprise-animated-gif-21.gif

It has been wonderful. No teams calls but had a good few chats with the technicians and cleaners. Great to catch up with people and chatting about stuff that isn't work, isn't social....just chatting. Finding out what people have been up to.

I'm only allowed in one day a week as the building is at 50% capacity. So yesterday I was in my office, in a corridor of about 20 offices, and I was the only one there. Had to go walkabout to find people to speak to (and do my first bit of actual science in an absolute age).

I started a new job back in March, less than ten miles from where I live. It's just been announced we are going to be moving down to Brighton, which is over a twenty mile drive, however driving in Brighton at the best of times is a fucking nightmare, let alone when it is peak time trying to get into work. So would have to get the train which is going to add about an hour to my journey each way. 

The boss has said they will look into helping out with costs etc, but it's the time that I am going to lose that is going to be the real issue. I know I will be offered the chance to WFH, but I really enjoy working in an office. 

• 4 weeks later...

After resisting it for years, I recently signed up for an account with LinkedIn, and just noticed that a certain box office poster from P&B has been examining my deets.

Moving on up, boys. I'll try not to forget the little people.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

After resisting it for years, I recently signed up for an account with LinkedIn, and just noticed that a certain box office poster from P&B has been examining my deets.

Moving on up, boys. I'll try not to forget the little people.

ooh-matron-kenneth-williams-carry-on-cam

That's the Xmas night out being organised. 3 depots going (our boss looks after 3 places now). We've got to pay £40 towards it, told them to ram it. I know 2 people from the other branches, and have no desire to meet the rest of them. I only bother about the people I work with.  I missed out on time with friends and family last December, so I know where my loyalties will lie.

That's the Xmas night out being organised. 3 depots going (our boss looks after 3 places now). We've got to pay £40 towards it, told them to ram it. I know 2 people from the other branches, and have no desire to meet the rest of them. I only bother about the people I work with.  I missed out on time with friends and family last December, so I know where my loyalties will lie.
The only perks to a xmas night out is the free drink, without that it's a no go.

1 minute ago, philpy said:

I try to avoid them too. Years back I worked for Somerfield. They put on a Christmas night for us all, booked a room at a local hotel. Everyone (including a girl I quite fancied) were going. 

I and a mate turned up 10 minutes late. We went to the hotel bar and could see into the booked out room. There was the store manager in the middle of the dance floor, with a flip chart talking about sales. All the folk from the shop, dressed to the nines, sitting looking bored. My mate and I stayed in the bar and had a few drinks. 90 minutes later the music started and we went through. 

Never fancied a works night out ever since. 

Just now, Empty It said:
5 minutes ago, philpy said:

The only perks to a xmas night out is the free drink, without that it's a no go.

The city centre is going to be a nightmare at Xmas , even more so with the "yuletide heroes" that didn't get out Last Xmas. It's at brewhemia, another reason to avoid it. I'll stick to my local bowling club, where I can 2 pints and change off a tenner.

You go girl

The city centre is going to be a nightmare at Xmas , even more so with the "yuletide heroes" that didn't get out Last Xmas. It's at brewhemia, another reason to avoid it. I'll stick to my local bowling club, where I can 2 pints and change off a tenner.
Yuletide heroes [emoji23]

I think Brewhemia is alright, feck knows how anyone finds their way out of there though

Ive had quite a few different workplaces over the last 10years. Results in giving the first xmas night out at each place the benefit of the doubt....

They're all tragic and rammed full of folk who never actually go out. They get pissed after 3drinks and talk about work and their weans. Boring bastvrds.

Far better just having a few drinks with a few of the good guys/girls you actually like on another day.

On 14/07/2021 at 16:25, thistledo said:

how dumb does he think everyone around him is?

That's what I love about these folk, do they think folk are stupid? Or do they enjoy seeing folk's face flinch in the moments they make the decision to question or say nothing?

The best Christmas night out I had at work was one where we’d all put £10 into a kitty since the previous one. Think there was just under £1000 in it. We sacked off the works planned Christmas meal and just went on the piss.

The hangover on the Sunday wasn’t worth it, but it was a great night.

Ive had quite a few different workplaces over the last 10years. Results in giving the first xmas night out at each place the benefit of the doubt....

They're all tragic and rammed full of folk who never actually go out. They get pissed after 3drinks and talk about work and their weans. Boring bastvrds.

Far better just having a few drinks with a few of the good guys/girls you actually like on another day.
Naively, I thought thats what folk wwre doing/complaining about. But then, any xmas night out iv ever had has been organised from within the team I worked with and we went wherever we fancied, with only a few that didnt come to any nights out through the year making the effort to attend at xmas.

I guess folk are meaning corporate mandated, mingle with the big bosses type fun. Sounds shit