Work colleagues

Was in an Inclusivity course and asked if I could be left out. 

They offered to let me attend on another day, which indicates the trainer has heard it a hundred times/didn't get it. Given the subsequent delivery I'd go for didn't get it.

42 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You're a failed vegetarian if you haven't mentioned it every 5 minutes.

You're confusing them with vegans. Vegetarians don't tell you until they come to visit you and you put a plate of roast beef in front of them.

57 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I knew a girl once who called herself a "demi-veg". She ate chicken and fish but no red meat. 

That’s a pollo-pescetarian. Although I’m not sure why you need an actual label rather than just saying “I don’t eat red meat” 

Talking about the weather today In work and a young Nigerian lad said in Africa they have a season called "hammertime" nobody believed him but he was right! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmattan

Apparently it is so hot and dry that the trees explode.

He couldn't work out why everyone was laughing. 

On expenses I would claim what I was entitled too.  Normally an over night meal of £20.  You had to supply a receipt.  However if you used your card and handed in the card receipt it never detailed what you had spent your allowance on.  So you could always go for a burger and a couple of pints on occasion.

11 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

For the last 18 months, my work has empowered the management to give us gifts from the company that reflects their personality. It actually made me tense when I found out they were doing it. 

The thought that managers were now going to be inflicting their flair, creativity and personality on you under the pretence of doing something nice. Especially to someone from Scotland. 

My first gift was a box of dried meat (my boss is French) the note said, like her it was traditionally French, with a proud French heritage. I’m vegetarian.

The second gift was a company branded Sushi storage box. I checked the corporate store and it cost €50 so I am guessing it was her budget and she was stuck for something pretentious to get me.

The last gift I got was prints of shite pictures that her friend painted of her home town. So she must have flung her pal a few quid on the company expenses.

I hate my work. This idea makes it worse, just give me vouchers or pay for a night out like you used to. 

"To reflect your personality I'm giving you a traditional Scottish present 

It's called a "jobby in a box"...."

20 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Anytime I've been away with work, I've found most places are more than willing to give you your bar receipt with something vague like "Food" on it for expense purposes. 

In smaller places, yes.  But in the larger chain places everything is tied to stock control and the register has codes for each item so it's more difficult for them to fiddle things.

19 minutes ago, hk blues said:

In smaller places, yes.  But in the larger chain places everything is tied to stock control and the register has codes for each item so it's more difficult for them to fiddle things accommodate customer requests.

15 hours ago, Loki said:

On expenses I would claim what I was entitled too.  Normally an over night meal of £20.  You had to supply a receipt.  However if you used your card and handed in the card receipt it never detailed what you had spent your allowance on.  So you could always go for a burger and a couple of pints on occasion.

Most places won't let you do that as the card receipt doesn't have the VAT number on it and companies claim the VAT back.

They offered to let me attend on another day, which indicates the trainer has heard it a hundred times/didn't get it. Given the subsequent delivery I'd go for didn't get it.
"today's 'office banter' is next years employment tribunal".......

2 minutes ago, mac.i said:
22 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

"today's 'office banter' is next years employment tribunal".......

To be fair, the mental trauma of being sent to the manager's office for a long stand is still with me after 30 years. 

On 28/06/2021 at 10:17, ICTChris said:

I used to work with a guy who had to commute regularly to Bournemouth and he said that the local Spearmint Rhino would show up on all receipts as "SR Bar and Grill".  He was a dirty dog so imagine he found this useful.

23 hours ago, BFTD said:

I'm by no means surprised by that. Years ago, I was in Sheffield for a few days on a training course, and the folk at the training centre said that the first thing most of their clients asked about was the Spearmint Rhino in the city centre.

A lot of the money that goes into those places must come from travelling businessmen, so it's not much of a surprise they'd help them hide their expense claims wherever possible.

Strong "asking for a friend" vibes in these posts.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Most places won't let you do that as the card receipt doesn't have the VAT number on it and companies claim the VAT back.

Yep.

My company's policy was that a VAT receipt should be provided as much as possible but where not then a credit card receipt or even hand written receipt would suffice.  This was because sometimes a VAT receipt is not provided.  

• 2 weeks later...

my pet hate at the moment is this.

Currently still working from home.  I get a call from one of the salesguys I look after.

Him -  "are you able to spare some time to go through the Terms and conditions of this contract?"

Me - Yes, just going to grab some lunch but will be free in about 45 mins 

Him - jeez alright for some, being able to have time for lunch

It wouldnt be so bad but for some reason this c*nt always rings me around lunchtime (i assume he is stopping for lunch) and his other retorts in similar situations have been

"whats lunch?"

"you are always on lunch"(said in a jokey way)

It wouldn't get to me so much but I generally take about 30 mins....

to be fair hes the same type of guy who does the classic phoning you up five minutes after he's sent you an email to see if you got said email...

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Fellow teacher of mine has just returned from an 8 (eight!!) week sabbatical for a serious family illness/bereavement situation leaving everyone to cover his class. During that time he even had the audacity to text on the group about the football (English, so you can imagine). Anyway, he's back now which coincides with kids being away on holiday. Work has began on the school to install new classrooms but part of that is the widening of all doors to meet regulations. He pipes up that the school have better things to spend their budget on. 

Red....neck....blowtorch

Are you trying to say that someone who is off work due to a serious illness/bereavement shouldn’t be allowed to do anything enjoyable during that period? Should they just sit inside wearing a black suit and weeping?

6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Are you trying to say that someone who is off work due to a serious illness/bereavement shouldn’t be allowed to do anything enjoyable during that period? Should they just sit inside wearing a black suit and weeping?

Yes.