Work colleagues

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Does anyone else's work try to make them use annual leave instead of taking sick time?

When I first started at the current job, I heard that was considered standard practice and, right enough, my boss did a lot of squirming about how "most people just use their holiday time" when I finally got the flu. Bollocks to that. One of my colleagues had to take a month off due to major surgery and came back early from the advised convalescence because their annual leave had run out. Mental stuff.

Do you work for Mike Ashley

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Mind blown

The joys of working for a charity!

There's an awful lot of, "oh, you know that if you take a sick day/annual leave/claim your expenses, you're only taking money away from the charity". Usually said by people with big expense accounts and company BMWs  :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Does anyone else's work try to make them use annual leave instead of taking sick time?

When I first started at the current job, I heard that was considered standard practice and, right enough, my boss did a lot of squirming about how "most people just use their holiday time" when I finally got the flu. Bollocks to that. One of my colleagues had to take a month off due to major surgery and came back early from the advised convalescence because their annual leave had run out. Mental stuff.

That’s absolutely fucking mental. Why on Earth would anyone accept this? 

Wild

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That’s absolutely fucking mental. Why on Earth would anyone accept this? 

A lot of the people they employ are either susceptible to guilt, or are emotionally tied to the cause in some way, or both. The board take full advantage.

I like working for a good cause, but I'm not that tied to this specific one.

Edit: before anyone asks, I know I used to be fairly open on here about a charity I used to volunteer/work for, but I'm not talking about that one. They didn't play that shit.

Edited by BFTD

18 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I haven’t had much issue but It has been used for short term sick to others ‘well I can put you down as sick,  but you know first 3 days aren’t payed,  so if your better soon it might be best for you to use holidays...

The managers in question forgets to mention at that point that at mangers discretion the first 3 days can be payed.

In terms of your work.  If it’s genuine(which it seems not) that they’d prefer you used annual leave to help the end recipients of the charity and they believe employees are mostly working for the benefit of the charity and the wage is just so they can do it FT and get by, then why aren’t they overwhelmed with employees requesting reduced pay so more stays in house?

Edited by parsforlife

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

A lot of the people they employ are either susceptible to guilt, or are emotionally tied to the cause in some way, or both. The board take full advantage.

I like working for a good cause, but I'm not that tied to this specific one.

Too many people are led to believe their job is a vocation or a career or their company is a big family.

It’s just a job and your employer gives zero fucks about you.  I do the minimum I can get away with so they carry on putting money in my bank at the end of the month.  I play the game with a few extra hours here and there so I’m not wasting holiday time but I’m under no illusion they give a f**k about me.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

In my experience the dividing line here is whether or not you work in a publicly facing job.

In public facing jobs you're being paid to literally be available between the hours of X and Y and to do any work that comes up during those times. In this case I'd expect them to insist you use holiday or make up the hours as you're being paid by the hour.

If you work in an office type job where you're being paid a salary to produce a particular output, then I'd expect much more leniency. Generally it's up to the employee to make sure their work gets done and deadlines are made, so I think the employer would allow you to drop out for an hour or two without formally making the time up so long as all the work gets done.

What if you do both?

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I haven’t had much issue but It has been used for short term sick to others ‘well I can put you down as sick,  but you know first 3 days aren’t payed,  so if your better soon it might be best for you to use holidays...

The managers in question forgets to mention at that point that at mangers discretion the first 3 days can be payed.

In terms of your work.  If it’s genuine(which it seems not) that they’d prefer you used annual leave to help the end recipients of the charity and they believe employees are mostly working for the benefit of the charity and the wage is just so they can do it FT and get by, then why aren’t they overwhelmed with employees requesting reduced pay so more stays in house?

We're all on minimum wage, for one thing. I can guarantee the board would go back to the days when everyone was a volunteer if they could  :lol:

I believe that some employees have a partner on a decent wage and donate money back, but most of us need the wage, from what I gather. Without wanting to give too much away for obvious reasons, I've been told by people at other agencies that we're notorious in the sector as being bottom-of-the-barrel in a lot of areas, to the point where there are no applicants for management positions, other than people who are completely unsuitable. I figured that was a bullshit excuse for not filling roles for a while, but I've been working in locations where interviews were taking place and got to see it for myself.

6 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Dave I can't wait til you leave there so you'll tell us which charity it is

:lol:

I might open an alias just to PM you the name.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

You'd be first on the dole, it's "paid". 

Edited by Mr. Alli

13 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Sick pay is paid by government so why would it make any difference. At it.

Not for everyone.  Only after day 3 does SSP kick in and lots of employers will pay your full wages before that and for a long time after.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Not for everyone.  Only after day 3 does SSP kick in and lots of employers will pay your full wages before that and for a long time after.

Sorry I meant ssp.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

That is absolutely ridiculous.

I finished my maternity leave much earlier than I planned to because my companies sick pay was a lot more generous than their maternity. If they had asked me to use holidays I would have told them to get lost.

If I were to use holidays for hospital appointments I'd have none left after a month!

41 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

That is absolutely ridiculous.

I finished my maternity leave much earlier than I planned to because my companies sick pay was a lot more generous than their maternity. If they had asked me to use holidays I would have told them to get lost.

If I were to use holidays for hospital appointments I'd have none left after a month!

It's certainly not a practice that I'd ever heard of before. I don't think anyone's needed maternity leave in the time I've been there - certainly not in my department, and we're kept so separate from the other arms of the organisation that we'd have no idea about what's going on elsewhere. Very much by design, I think - middle-management throw a hissy fit if they find out you've contacted someone in another department without going through them  :lol:

Certainly seems to be one of those things that is dropped sharpish if you refuse to go along with it, but I work with some very cowed people, and I'm hardly a firebrand myself these days. The fact that, in one way or another, most of us are the dregs of the workforce probably emboldens our employer to chance their arm with shit like that.

I thought about starting up one of those anonymous forums for workers of companies to exchange notes without risking the bullet, but there are one or two toxic clipes who seem to think they improve their chances of remaining employed by acting as the company KGB. Unsurprisingly, I suppose, that kind of behaviour is encouraged.