Work colleagues

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Aye, there's pros and cons but obviously as a football fan it's a bit shite. The pro is that every now and again my new boss will give you an early shift on Friday, Saturday and Sunday off, Monday Tuesday as your days off the following week and an evening shift on the Wednesday, so essentially a five day weekend.

Another pro is that you don't end up using half days of holiday to go to the dentist or other mundane but necessary activities.

You have to use holidays for things like the dentist?!

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You have to use holidays for things like the dentist?!

I would yes. I can't just say I'm taking an hour off of my day so I can go to the dentist unless I'm going to work it back or whatever. That applies for everything. Need to go to hospital for an appointment or whatever would be the same.

Covid however we get paid for when going to get jab 

4 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Really? People surely take piss out of this? 

Sure some do but the vast majority don’t.  I had a lot of visits to the dentist last year getting implants.  Work didn’t bat an eyelid ‘cos they know I don’t take the piss.

Obviously easier to do in some jobs than others, so I’m in a lucky position, but I just leave and go for a haircut/dentist/car MOT/basically any appointment whenever I want. f**k taking off days of annual leave to do something as shite as go to the dentist. 

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Obviously easier to do in some jobs than others, so I’m in a lucky position, but I just leave and go for a haircut/dentist/car MOT/basically any appointment whenever I want. f**k taking off days of annual leave to do something as shite as go to the dentist. 

Same for me.  Don’t know anyone that has to use leave for shite like that.  If I did have to they’d be getting f**k all unpaid overtime out of me no matter what was going on at work.

1 hour ago, Robin.Hood said:

Really? People surely take piss out of this? 

In my experience the dividing line here is whether or not you work in a publicly facing job.

In public facing jobs you're being paid to literally be available between the hours of X and Y and to do any work that comes up during those times. In this case I'd expect them to insist you use holiday or make up the hours as you're being paid by the hour.

If you work in an office type job where you're being paid a salary to produce a particular output, then I'd expect much more leniency. Generally it's up to the employee to make sure their work gets done and deadlines are made, so I think the employer would allow you to drop out for an hour or two without formally making the time up so long as all the work gets done.

14 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If I did have to they’d be getting f**k all unpaid overtime out of me no matter what was going on at work.

So in lieu of not having to use holidays for mundane appointments you work over and above your hours, unpaid? 

As a trade off, it's not one I'm remotely interested in tbh. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

So in lieu of not having to use holidays for mundane appointments you work over and above your hours, unpaid? 

I don’t do it that often, only when there’s a panic about something.  Not even once a month I’d think.  People that work an extra hour or so for free every day are off their heads imo.
I’d be surprised if I’m not getting a few hours off a month for some appointment or other so I’m certainly not losing out of it and it works for me being able to keep my holidays.

On 20/05/2021 at 15:12, Jambomo said:

Refuse to. Point out that the board have instructed you not to cover any more so you are obliged not to do it now and that the should take it up with them if there is an issue. (I am going on the assumption that its the board who are the higher level of management and have the final say in your work). You need to take yourself out of the middle of conflicting demands and the best way is to go with what the higher rank say (or what suits you best) and leave them to fight about it. 

I'm in the unfortunate position where my boss is a selfish cock, and the board have slashed staff to the point that most managers are "managers" in name only, as they have no subordinates anymore. As a result, there's nobody to cover for when someone's off sick or takes holiday time, and anyone who doesn't play ball with covering their work is likely to be left hanging out to dry by middle-management. The board don't support us in any way either - what they really mean is, "we want everyone to keep up with their own work whilst also doing other people's work too", but they're obviously too smart to put that on record. The company closes locations purely to get rid of "difficult" employees, which is exactly as mental as it sounds, but it's happened at least four times while I've been with them.

I've taken the approach of warning (in writing) that my work will suffer when I'm drafted elsewhere, and following it up with an "I told you so" message when that's exactly what happens. It all gets completely ignored, but at least it's something I can send to the board once my role has been "retired". Only problem is, I'm not the first leaving employee who's gone down this route, and they couldn't have cared less. Very odd place to work; it's almost like the board think they've been appointed to implement a managed decline.

13 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

This I find mental.

I fi d the time off for haircut mental (then again I have no hair these days) but the rest of it is totally normal.  Maybe as someone suggested it’s a split between office and public facing jobs.

I generally go in at least an hour early each day. I don’t mind this and it my choice. Means if I want to f**k off at 3pm for golf or want to leave at 1pm on a Friday as going away somewhere then there are no issues

Does anyone else's work try to make them use annual leave instead of taking sick time?

When I first started at the current job, I heard that was considered standard practice and, right enough, my boss did a lot of squirming about how "most people just use their holiday time" when I finally got the flu. Bollocks to that. One of my colleagues had to take a month off due to major surgery and came back early from the advised convalescence because their annual leave had run out. Mental stuff.

Does anyone else's work try to make them use annual leave instead of taking sick time?
When I first started at the current job, I heard that was considered standard practice and, right enough, my boss did a lot of squirming about how "most people just use their holiday time" when I finally got the flu. Bollocks to that. One of my colleagues had to take a month off due to major surgery and came back early from the advised convalescence because their annual leave had run out. Mental stuff.
Mind blown