Work colleagues

12 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Would agree yeah, she was a lovely woman and back then I was late teens, I think she had quite a motherly attitude towards me. She wasn't the only one, the receptionist who was also in charge of booking flights & accommodation for back and forth to London, used to always do my expenses for me. Salt of the earth type. 

They both wanted pumped. 

8 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

My Mum died of cancer during my final year of uni. 

I got a phone call from my Dad that her condition had suddenly got much worse so could I come home. There was an essay deadline coming up the following week so I went to see the course supervisor to explain the situation and ask if I could have an extension.

His response: "You already knew she was ill when the work was set, you should have been more organised."

Easy for me to say now but I'd have asked him to put it in writing then gone public with it.

A few years ago a woman in my work's man died around Christmas time, I think it was on Boxing Day. Think she ended up being off for a couple of months. I'm pretty sure here it's up to the managers how to deal with situations like that though and we don't have twats, so we're okay.

If I'd ever had the "you should have planned for a dying relative" response from an educator I'd have gone full public meltdown. 

Guest bernardblack

I think it’s important to remember to take someone in with you when you have a meeting with HR etc, just to take notes and remember the majority of the meeting that’ll you’ll likely not recall due to being upset/angry 

2 hours ago, bernardblack said:

I think it’s important to remember to take someone in with you when you have a meeting with HR etc, just to take notes and remember the majority of the meeting that’ll you’ll likely not recall due to being upset/angry 

Don't surreptitiously record it on your phone though whatever you do. Ask politely at the start if they mind you recording it. If they've nothing to hide they wont care. 

18 hours ago, jessmagic said:

Totally counter productive as well - so many companies must loose good folk due to rubbish like this. 

I was in HR for a good few years (and I'm not a complete cnut) - such policies we had but it was always clearly stated they were minimum  and totally discretionary beyond that.  I can honestly say there was not one time where an employee was hurried back to work due to bereavement.  I reckon my employers were no different to most but there are some cunty managers out there, many of whom are spineless and more than happy to pass the buck back to HR whenever they can.  

The longest time an employee had off was a year when his wife passed away and he was left to take care of a young child.  The average was a week I'd say but many were longer and a month wouldn't raise any eyebrows.  

18 hours ago, Michael W said:

I can't imagine what that must've felt like at the time. I'm only reading it and am appalled. 

Disgusting way to to treat someone. 

I'm not one for running to teacher but such behaviour should be reported to senior management and not let go.  I can understand though that that is low on the priority list at such times and that's why folk get away with it.

Years ago, while working shifts, wife was pregnant with three months to go and having a rough time being in and out of hospital. We had a child at the time and I could work day shift  no problem while the kid was at a child minders but the other shifts were impossible.  Again she got admitted and spoke to my supervisor about day shift and was told to use my annual leave. No problem I said, what I will do, to make things easier,  is go and see my doctor and I will see you in 3 or 4 months time.  Just do day shift anytime you need to was the reply!

1 hour ago, Elric said:

Years ago, while working shifts, wife was pregnant with three months to go and having a rough time being in and out of hospital. We had a child at the time and I could work day shift  no problem while the kid was at a child minders but the other shifts were impossible.  Again she got admitted and spoke to my supervisor about day shift and was told to use my annual leave. No problem I said, what I will do, to make things easier,  is go and see my doctor and I will see you in 3 or 4 months time.  Just do day shift anytime you need to was the reply!

You'll find that works more often than not, the threat of going on long term sick usually forces the employers hand.

Some of the attitudes of employers and that c**t of a lecturer I'm reading here are absolutely fucking appalling. Makes me realise how lucky I am. Had months off without a raised eyebrow after my son was born prematurely and HSF was diagnosed. Went from early September 2018 until the end of the year basically off on full pay. Then when I did return I was in and out all the time for about six months for hospital stuff, childcare and then went another 6 weeks off when she was in hospital for her transplant. I know for a fact if I was still working for the c**t of a company I was previously I'd have been sacked or had to quit. 

58 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Some of the attitudes of employers and that c**t of a lecturer I'm reading here are absolutely fucking appalling. Makes me realise how lucky I am. Had months off without a raised eyebrow after my son was born prematurely and HSF was diagnosed. Went from early September 2018 until the end of the year basically off on full pay. Then when I did return I was in and out all the time for about six months for hospital stuff, childcare and then went another 6 weeks off when she was in hospital for her transplant. I know for a fact if I was still working for the c**t of a company I was previously I'd have been sacked or had to quit. 

If that's the same company I worked for, my daughter was blue lighted out of nursery after a fit. As I grabbed my keys(10mins before end shift) the manager shouted up the office "I'm referring you to HR because of absence".

I'd been off as my daughter had had several serious allergic/apahalxis issues. I was deducted salary if I missed a day and my whatever formula was rubbish.

Four week line and resignation followed.

1 minute ago, RH33 said:

If that's the same company I worked for, my daughter was blue lighted out of nursery after a fit. As I grabbed my keys(10mins before end shift) the manager shouted up the office "I'm referring you to HR because of absence".

I'd been off as my daughter had had several serious allergic/apahalxis issues. I was deducted salary if I missed a day and my whatever formula was rubbish.

Four week line and resignation followed.

Yes it was. 

There was a woman in my office who had major internal problems and was on sick leave for months at a time for operations. One time I think she was away for more than a year. I don't know what her sick pay situation was but there was never any question of her being let go. Her job was kept open for her and she would come back for a few weeks before having to go off again. Despite it all she was a cheerful wee thing and extremely popular in the office. Eventually though her body couldn't take any more and she died but the company stuck by her right to the end.

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

I reckon my employers were no different to most but there are some cunty managers out there, many of whom are spineless and more than happy to pass the buck back to HR whenever they can.  

HR in my company (of 90 employees) is the guy who owns the company. 

It was a woman who knew what she was doing but she was sacked for providing the pension regulator with documents without passing it with the owner. She - and 4 others - have cases against the company just now. 

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

HR in my company (of 90 employees) is the guy who owns the company. 

It was a woman who knew what she was doing but she was sacked for providing the pension regulator with documents without passing it with the owner. She - and 4 others - have cases against the company just now. 

Small companies are responsible for the vast majority of bad press HR gets.  In these places HR is often tagged onto other responsibilities and the person doing it knows next to nothing about it.  Saying that, I've worked in big companies where the same approach was applied - the Finance guys often had HR as part of their responsibility despite having no  knowledge.