Work colleagues

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

The pubs seem to refuse to do that now. Last time I mind the guy saying "I will give you the shots and an empty pint glass, it's on you"

I believe( tho this is based on a what a barman told whilst I was pissed 10+ years ago) that they can't sell you anything mixed drinks and/or anything over a double without having a cocktail license. 

On 11/05/2021 at 14:45, bernardblack said:

I love reading the messages in the cards though...”can’t believe you’re going, won’t be the same without you...we’ll definitely stay in touch” etc etc...usually a lot of nonsense 

The message I enjoyed most from my last leaving card was from a guy I'd never really interacted with. In amongst all the "good luck in your new job" and "we'll miss you" messages was a nice simple: "fuck off".

Edited by Slacker

Absolutely. Do not rely on a HR dept doing right by you, because the stress that it will cause you is precisely what you dont need. I went through it when my mum died, and they also quibbled over a day when my kid was born. When my dad died I went to the doctors immediately and told them to sign me off which they obviously did no bother. No c**t telling my how long to grieve for. 
100%

I learned very early on in my career that HR people are shafting b*****d company men/women.

Applying the bradford factor to some poor guy with Cancer summed them up for me.

Always have the faux warm friendly "my doors always open" pish.

Milk monitors. Each and every one of them.

10 hours ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Can I ask the forums opinion on what is the upper limit for an acceptable time to be absent from work due to a parent dying?

I know someone that took about 6 months but it was in horrific circumstances I don't even think they needed a sick line their boss and HR were very decent about it after 5 weeks I think they had a "back to work interview" which was clear they needed a long time off to deal with it.

Beyond 6 months is probably pushing it imo.

16 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Absolutely. Do not rely on a HR dept doing right by you, because the stress that it will cause you is precisely what you dont need. I went through it when my mum died, and they also quibbled over a day when my kid was born. When my dad died I went to the doctors immediately and told them to sign me off which they obviously did no bother. No c**t telling my how long to grieve for. 

My Mum died of cancer during my final year of uni. 

I got a phone call from my Dad that her condition had suddenly got much worse so could I come home. There was an essay deadline coming up the following week so I went to see the course supervisor to explain the situation and ask if I could have an extension.

His response: "You already knew she was ill when the work was set, you should have been more organised."

I got a phone call from my Dad that her condition had suddenly got much worse so could I come home. There was an essay deadline coming up the following week so I went to see the course supervisor to explain the situation and ask if I could have an extension.
His response: "You already knew she was ill when the work was set, you should have been more organised."

You should've beat him to death with his own shoes for a comment like that.

1 hour ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I had a similar level of argument with a holiday insurance mob as I cancelled one as the time neared. They were horrible fuckers. I absolutely tore through one of them on the phone then in the end got my money, along with a seriously snidey "we are right and you are wrong, but as a gesture of goodwill, we are paying you out" type email. I was fucking fumning but opted to leave it there as I had my coin. 

21 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Guy in my work took a month. He had lost his dad to a long illness the year before and was off a week. His mum died suddenly - he was about 26 and a single father. 

He come back to work to a letter and it was suddenly sign posted all over the factory of your bereavement rights. 

"Mother or Father (inclusive of adoptive) 3 days leave". 

Totally counter productive as well - so many companies must loose good folk due to rubbish like this. 

3 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I think I'd have murdered the cúnt. 

On 12/05/2021 at 09:03, Rasputin said:

At my old work, when someone was leaving we’d go to the pub and everyone would choose a spirit to put in a pint glass. Everyone would choose the strongest, most minging drinks and the lucky person would have to down their pint of 15 or so shots. They usually got quite a nice present too. 

Years ago we were having a lock in at a pub a couple of my pals worked at. Got a pint glass and just went along the top shelf of the bar sticking in anything rancid or strong until the glass was full. By the end it looked like a sample from the Chernobyl sewage system and tasted like death. It was like you could actually feel your brain being damaged drinking it.

Good times.

4 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

That makes me physically angry just reading it. Well done for not fucking leathering the guy (assuming you didn't).

4 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I can't imagine what that must've felt like at the time. I'm only reading it and am appalled. 

Disgusting way to to treat someone. 

I remember being a younger lad working for a fairly big company and my grandad died, we were really close, anyway the normal manager was absent and one of the senior managers was like "eh yeah grandparents I don't think you get time off, need to take a holiday if you want and for the funeral" 

After chatting to the standard older office lady, the office mum type if you will (even though that term is cringe) she advised me that was bollocks and had a proper go at him. Ended up getting a couple of days off paid. Apparently it was all manager discretion and he just didn't want people having time off for stuff like that. 

Anyway the lack of compassion in some workplaces is absolutely ridiculous. Really shameful stuff to suggest that if you knew it was coming you should have been more prepared. Aye the threat of your closest relative dying fair gets me in the frame of mind to work. 

30 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Years ago we were having a lock in at a pub a couple of my pals worked at. Got a pint glass and just went along the top shelf of the bar sticking in anything rancid or strong until the glass was full. By the end it looked like a sample from the Chernobyl sewage system and tasted like death. It was like you could actually feel your brain being damaged drinking it.

Good times.

As students one of my drinking buddies and I would buy each other such rancid cocktail made up of the dusty, murky stuff at the back/top of bars that nobody ever drank. 

1 hour ago, Rasputin said:

As students one of my drinking buddies and I would buy each other such rancid cocktail made up of the dusty, murky stuff at the back/top of bars that nobody ever drank. 

Advocaat, Bezique and a dash of Pernod. 

After chatting to the standard older office lady, the office mum type if you will (even though that term is cringe) she advised me that was bollocks and had a proper go at him.

Nothing wrong with these folk or the saying [emoji23]. Says a lot about people who will look out for junior colleagues and step up for them. Plenty who wouldn't.

1 hour ago, thistledo said:

I remember being a younger lad working for a fairly big company and my grandad died, we were really close, anyway the normal manager was absent and one of the senior managers was like "eh yeah grandparents I don't think you get time off, need to take a holiday if you want and for the funeral" 

After chatting to the standard older office lady, the office mum type if you will (even though that term is cringe) she advised me that was bollocks and had a proper go at him. Ended up getting a couple of days off paid. Apparently it was all manager discretion and he just didn't want people having time off for stuff like that. 

Anyway the lack of compassion in some workplaces is absolutely ridiculous. Really shameful stuff to suggest that if you knew it was coming you should have been more prepared. Aye the threat of your closest relative dying fair gets me in the frame of mind to work. 

Is bereavement leave for close relative a legal entitlement? I ask because a mate, working for a small engineering company, was told he had to take holidays  when his dad died. He tried checking out the legal position and decided that it probably wasn't a legal entitlement. Admittedly these checks were on line searches so maybe not conclusive. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge?

No surprise that he no longer works for the company. Lack or bereavement leave was just one thing in a very long list of archaic working practices.

1 hour ago, V.Aye.R said:

Nothing wrong with these folk or the saying emoji23.png. Says a lot about people who will look out for junior colleagues and step up for them. Plenty who wouldn't.

Would agree yeah, she was a lovely woman and back then I was late teens, I think she had quite a motherly attitude towards me. She wasn't the only one, the receptionist who was also in charge of booking flights & accommodation for back and forth to London, used to always do my expenses for me. Salt of the earth type. 

1 hour ago, Northboy said:

Is bereavement leave for close relative a legal entitlement? I ask because a mate, working for a small engineering company, was told he had to take holidays  when his dad died. He tried checking out the legal position and decided that it probably wasn't a legal entitlement. Admittedly these checks were on line searches so maybe not conclusive. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge?

No surprise that he no longer works for the company. Lack or bereavement leave was just one thing in a very long list of archaic working practices.

As far as I know there's no legal entitlement, but companies usually will have bereavement policy. The usual is like 3 days for close relatives. Places where manager discretion is in place for stuff like this, is somewhere well worth working for. One of my recent contracts was like this and the manager was a superb guy. I mentioned to him about anxiety issues one day, he couldn't have been more understanding and done more than he had to, to help.