Work colleagues

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

They could only withhold 45 minutes of wages, surely? 

Legally I think you’re right, but if they keep more than that it’s up to you to take them to court to get it back. Depends on the role and the professionalism of the company, and the value making it financially worthwhile to take them to court.

When I worked in Coop as a teenager for a few months there was a finger scanner for scanning in and out. I discovered that the manager was editing the system manually to change everyone’s in and out times to the exact minute their shift officially started and ended to stop overtime payments, without telling people to ensure they kept doing the required extra time after the shift to lock up etc. I questioned them on it when I was blatantly underpaid for quite a few of hours. I quit, but was told if I didn’t work the notice they would withhold holiday pay and the previous 2 weeks wages of shifts id already worked. As frustrating as it was, I needed the money and couldn’t afford to take them to court over a small amount, so just had to accept it and work the full notice.

Might have mentioned this before, but...

Not work colleagues of mine but of my dad's. He used to work in a big printer's in Slateford Road and once he told me about two guys that were caught pulling a fast one. When they did Sunday overtime they were supposed to start at eight o'clock but would always turn up just before nine. They would stick a little piece of paper on their time cards so that when they clocked in it would say 8:59 or whatever - except that the 59 part was on the paper. They'd peel it off and stick it on top of the 8, then clock in again - this time it would say 9:00 but now the 9 was on the paper, so when they peeled that off the card said 8:00 and looked as if they were on time.

This went on for a few weeks until the day the guy with the keys to the place slept in. He arrived at about half past eight to find all the workers standing out in the street cursing him. He opened up and everybody went in to start work. And half an hour later the bold boys rolled up and went through their usual procedure, unaware of what had happened, and ended up with time cards stating that they were inside half an hour before the doors were unlocked.

Not sure to what extent the collar-feeling went but one way or another they didn't try it again.

24 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Legally I think you’re right, but if they keep more than that it’s up to you to take them to court to get it back. Depends on the role and the professionalism of the company, and the value making it financially worthwhile to take them to court.

When I worked in Coop as a teenager for a few months there was a finger scanner for scanning in and out. I discovered that the manager was editing the system manually to change everyone’s in and out times to the exact minute their shift officially started and ended to stop overtime payments, 

This happens still to an extent 

On 21/04/2021 at 20:10, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Some utter walloper posted this on Linkedin the other day. Tbf, most people called him out on it, but it's scary the number of people who think like this.

image.thumb.png.ef43e6454ba1d69c6ba18ef7d5657241.png

There have been times when I have had to work crazy hours but the work was so stimulating that I barely even noticed.  I have no complaints because the outcome made it all worthwhile.

By contrast somebody writing a list like this is clearly doing a boring job and is trying to play the martyrdom card.  "Oh look at me and all the sacrifices I am having to make".  I knew people like that.  All of them failures.

15 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

When I worked in Coop as a teenager for a few months there was a finger scanner for scanning in and out. I discovered that the manager was editing the system manually to change everyone’s in and out times to the exact minute their shift officially started and ended to stop overtime payments, without telling people to ensure they kept doing the required extra time after the shift to lock up etc. I questioned them on it when I was blatantly underpaid for quite a few of hours. I quit, but was told if I didn’t work the notice they would withhold holiday pay and the previous 2 weeks wages of shifts id already worked. As frustrating as it was, I needed the money and couldn’t afford to take them to court over a small amount, so just had to accept it and work the full notice.

It's an employment tribunal and they no longer cost any money.

2 minutes ago, Pato said:

Just remembered being in a meeting once, we all have company issued lanyards with the company name on them and I spotted someone sitting across from me had a slightly different looking one and realised to my horror they'd replaced it with one that said live laugh love.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

It's an employment tribunal and they no longer cost any money.

HtH

7 minutes ago, Pato said:

Just remembered being in a meeting once, we all have company issued lanyards with the company name on them and I spotted someone sitting across from me had a slightly different looking one and realised to my horror they'd replaced it with one that said live laugh love.

That’s another one that highlights a jobsworth w****r, the company lanyard. Anyone wearing these whilst not in their work building (even then unless it’s mandated to wear them it’s loser behaviour) should be pelted with rotten tomatoes. Remember a guy in my year at school who worked in a clothes shop, and when going for his lunch, he would swap his lanyard with one that said manager on it to walk around town. Pathetic.

The whole 45 minutes thing would be a tough call for me, on one hand it's an excellent opportunity to go in and f**k with someones business and the person ordering someone to do this should really know better, extremely naïve thing to do. I'm meaning nothing major, but I could easily subtly cause a bit of disruption on my own.  On the other hand, lying sleeping in bed is also nice. 

I left a job at the very start of 2020 after being there 6 months, it started as a contract but went perm as someone let slip they were going to bin me as soon as they got a perm replacement. They'd been burned by the last guy leaving with a weeks notice and a three week holiday so I had a 2 month notice. I never worked all of it and ended up leaving early by about a week, as I needed to start a new job then. But the manager was absolutely furious about this, possibly furious I was leaving after having to pay an agency some mental fee as well. I had more or less control over everything in terms of technology that ran their business, if it was me I'd never annoy that person. Anyway, nothing happened after it, except I didn't get paid for that week, which I obviously was fine with. 

Edited by thistledo

I had similar to my last contract job that ended in December.  The council paid the agency a lot of money to recruit someone for a 3 month contract (probably more than what I got paid in the 3 months I worked there) and I ended up having to self isolate as a colleague got Covid mid-December.  So I got paid for the 2 weeks I was lying in bed/ sat on my arse watching TV and the manager was seething.  As if it came out of his own fucking pay.

15 hours ago, GordonD said:

Might have mentioned this before, but...

Not work colleagues of mine but of my dad's. He used to work in a big printer's in Slateford Road and once he told me about two guys that were caught pulling a fast one. When they did Sunday overtime they were supposed to start at eight o'clock but would always turn up just before nine. They would stick a little piece of paper on their time cards so that when they clocked in it would say 8:59 or whatever - except that the 59 part was on the paper. They'd peel it off and stick it on top of the 8, then clock in again - this time it would say 9:00 but now the 9 was on the paper, so when they peeled that off the card said 8:00 and looked as if they were on time.

This went on for a few weeks until the day the guy with the keys to the place slept in. He arrived at about half past eight to find all the workers standing out in the street cursing him. He opened up and everybody went in to start work. And half an hour later the bold boys rolled up and went through their usual procedure, unaware of what had happened, and ended up with time cards stating that they were inside half an hour before the doors were unlocked.

Not sure to what extent the collar-feeling went but one way or another they didn't try it again.

One of my first jobs after leaving college was in payroll and as the new guy I was given the task of checking the clock cards every Monday for wages.  Don't tell my Boss (he's probably deid anyway) but after a month or so I realised how soul destroying this task was and how it would break me If I took it too seriously.   To be honest, it was a waste of time as all the old timers were well-versed in the ways of "fooling" the system such as above.  I also had to write the clock cards every week and as we were not that busy I was about a year ahead with this.

Good times.

Edited by hk blues

47 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I had similar to my last contract job that ended in December.  The council paid the agency a lot of money to recruit someone for a 3 month contract (probably more than what I got paid in the 3 months I worked there) and I ended up having to self isolate as a colleague got Covid mid-December.  So I got paid for the 2 weeks I was lying in bed/ sat on my arse watching TV and the manager was seething.  As if it came out of his own fucking pay.

Glorious tbh. This was the same sort of attitude from my guy, he was the "Business optimisation director" a kind of 'he's been there so long we better add director to his title' type guy. Absolute bellend, so tight it was unreal, I saved them a lot of money on monthly cloud costs in the space of a month (in fact almost enough to cover the cost of my contract) and I genuinely have never seen someone so excited abut work. He never attended social things and always seemed to be working and acting as if he was under a lot of pressure. 

I think a lot of the seethe was generated as they tried to outsmart the agency by advising them they ended my contract while trying to get me to go perm, which I advised against due to my contract had a clause that I couldn't work for them again for 6 months. So they ended up paying a ridiculous finders fee which the guy I worked with told me the amount. Me and the guy at the agency got accused of being in cahoots about this fee as the date I handed in my notice was shortly after them paying the final instalment. 

6 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

That’s another one that highlights a jobsworth w****r, the company lanyard. Anyone wearing these whilst not in their work building (even then unless it’s mandated to wear them it’s loser behaviour) should be pelted with rotten tomatoes. Remember a guy in my year at school who worked in a clothes shop, and when going for his lunch, he would swap his lanyard with one that said manager on it to walk around town. Pathetic.

@Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

7 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

image.gif.11f376f0f1490b81573b95e551ce4a0a.gif

13 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

She could go in and spend 44 mins starting some absolute behemoth of a task that will be an utter c**t to finish then get up at the 45 mins mark and say "Oh that's a shame, I'm finished now. Have at it cuntos"

Tie up the photocopier with 100,000 copies of the email that said she had to work 45 minutes.