Work colleagues

17 minutes ago, Rugster said:

There’s a guy in my place like that. Every time you ask him if he’s available for a meeting, even if it’s weeks in advance he will always say something like “at the moment ok but it might be a busy time or if someone else asks me to do something”. That’s not how it works mate. You book the meeting in and if someone else asks you to do something or meet you say sorry I’ve already got a meeting scheduled. He’s a great guy but infuriating with his having to appear busy and needed all the time. 

'Sorry, I can't attend any meetings until I retire in case I get asked to do something between now and that date in 30 years time'.

17 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

'Sorry, I can't attend any meetings until I retire in case I get asked to do something between now and that date in 30 years time'.

No word of a lie that exact analogy has been used many times when discussing this with other colleagues

58 minutes ago, Pato said:

I'm sure there are folk at my work who have spent 20+ years constantly walking around the building from 9-5 without ever actually logging in and doing anything.

51 minutes ago, Rugster said:

There’s a guy in my place like that. Every time you ask him if he’s available for a meeting, even if it’s weeks in advance he will always say something like “at the moment ok but it might be a busy time or if someone else asks me to do something”. That’s not how it works mate. You book the meeting in and if someone else asks you to do something or meet you say sorry I’ve already got a meeting scheduled. He’s a great guy but infuriating with his having to appear busy and needed all the time. 

EdTOWfAXsAAqNhm.jpg

A year ago tomorrow my work handed me my laptop and told me they were only giving me it as a precaution and they were still not planning on having us WFH.

Does anyone else work with people who always want to come across as the busiest person ever? I have a girl in my office who is actually sound but no matter what you ask her she always has to relate it back to how busy she apparently is. You ask her how she is getting on and she always replies “oh its mad in here” (she is one of about 5 people in my work that is working from the office). She always lets out a huge sigh when she leaves her room.

I dont understand why people do this
Yes to the point where he cant clean up after himself or put stuff away, genuinely nice guy but his head is in the clouds.

There is a woman in my work who has made up every day of the time I have known her, looking busy and helping others. A question that requires an answer of "yeah over there" or "it's filed with the look up table" results in her looking busy for 20 mins. Seems to work so fair play. 

6 hours ago, Aufc said:

Does anyone else work with people who always want to come across as the busiest person ever? I have a girl in my office who is actually sound but no matter what you ask her she always has to relate it back to how busy she apparently is. You ask her how she is getting on and she always replies “oh its mad in here” (she is one of about 5 people in my work that is working from the office). She always lets out a huge sigh when she leaves her room.

I dont understand why people do this

I worked with a woman like that in a pub. She'd always work a Monday open and there was a list of things you had to do each week day, the manager was always in the office doing his stuff so you were basically on your own but it was always empty. Every time I came in to do a Monday close she'd be saying about how she hadn't stopped all day and how XYZ took her this long etc. Thankfully she left and I started doing the Monday opens, I could easily get all the stuff done in an hour and after that I'd just serve customers and stand around talking to the chef, the manager was never bothered cause everything was done. She was an arsehole in otherways but seemed to be obsessed with being the best member of staff when she was actually the worst, she'd rather look like she was a good worker and have the rest of us look bad than actually just be good at the job. She also liked to talk complete shite and we'd just agree with her cause it was easier than arguing back, she took it too far once and claimed that Galway Girl was specifically  written for a Magners advert and Steve Earle actually hated the song so I called her out.

Deeply suspicious of anyone whose attitude to work is anything more than fulfilment of contractual obligations.

I’ve spent my entire working life adopting the same philosophy - do the bare minimum that’s required as to not arouse suspicion, that I’m a lazy c**t with absolutely no interest in actually being there.

I’ve spent my entire working life adopting the same philosophy - do the bare minimum that’s required as to not arouse suspicion, that I’m a lazy c**t with absolutely no interest in actually being there.
I used to jokingly say to folk that "I'm sorry if hydrocarbons moving through pipes doesnt excite me as much as it does you" then quickly realised that it wasnt a joke at all, and adopted it as a full on working mantra.

I can literally do my job better as someone who is completely detached from the potential cost of mistakes, than the guys who are terrified to touch anything or turn into a shrieking mess when anything goes wrong. You know the type I mean.

Still though, the contract is my time for their money. It says nothing about being enthusiastic, or pretending to be busy once the work required in a given shift is complete.

The mood music regarding continuing working from home at my place is very much pointing towards having absolutely everyone back in to the office full time with zero home working as soon as possible.

This was all but accidentally confirmed by a manager during a conversation I had with her (basically she was talking about creating a new position in the office for me, at a higher grade, and I said I would depend on certain things if I applied for it or not, the main one being the working situation; she sort of let slip the plans then).

Their justification is that we are 'student facing'. This of course is a meaningless corporate phrase. The office literally cannot be accessed by students. There's a reception for enquiries but there is also a receptionist who is paid to handle said enquiries. It doesn't require a full office of 15-20 (depending on the day) to answer these queries. There is zero need for me to be in the office and there are zero advantages to me and the business being in the office full time, whereas there are multiple benefits and advantages to me and the business by me working at home.

Not really surprised but very disappointed and quite angry by this. They just won't listen to anything about it. I can't actually do it. I can't go back to full time in an office. I genuinely think I'd end up in a very bad way if I had to. Had some pretty unpleasant spiralling thoughts last week that had me really down for most of the week. In 2018 and 2019 I had to meet with HR because my absence levels were so high due to mental health issues. 2020 was probably heading that way until we all get sent home. Since working from home I've had zero days off ill. I haven't so much as missed a single minute through illness.

But aye, f**k that eh. Just pile everyone back.

c***s. I've got the union involved so will see what they say. Also started looking for other jobs. If anyone knows of anywhere that's hiring and is working from home, please let me know!

Edited by DA Baracus

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The mood music regarding continuing working from home at my place is very much pointing towards having absolutely every back in to the office full time with zero home working as soon as possible.

This was all but accidentally confirmed by a manager during a conversation I had with her (basically she was talking about creating a new position in the office for me, at a higher grade, and I said I would depend on certain things if I applied for it or not, the main one being the working situation; she sort of let slip the plans then).

Their justification is that we are 'student facing'. This of course is a meaningless corporate phrase. The office literally cannot be accessed by students. There's a reception for enquiries but there is also a receptionist who is paid to handle said enquiries. It doesn't require a full office of 15-20 (depending on the day) to answer these queries. There is zero need for me to be in the office and there are zero advantages to me and the business being in the office full time, whereas there are multiple benefits and advantages to me and the business by me working at home.

Not really surprised by very disappointed and quite angry by this. They just won't listen to anything about it. I can't actually do it. I can't go back to full time in an office. I genuinely think I'd end up in a very bad way if I had to. Had some pretty unpleasant spiralling thoughts last week that had me really down for most of the week. In 2018 and 2019 I had to meet with HR because my absence levels were high due to mental health issues. 2020 was probably heading that way. Since working from home I've had zero days off ill. I haven't so much as missed a single minute through illness.

c***s. I've got the union involved so will see what they say. Also started looking for other jobs. If anyone knows of anywhere that's hiring and is working from home, please let me know!

I hope you keep well. It's amazing they are talking of getting folk back into the office so soon I think.

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The mood music regarding continuing working from home at my place is very much pointing towards having absolutely every back in to the office full time with zero home working as soon as possible.

Not really surprised by very disappointed and quite angry by this. They just won't listen to anything about it. I can't actually do it. I can't go back to full time in an office. I genuinely think I'd end up in a very bad way if I had to. Had some pretty unpleasant spiralling thoughts last week that had me really down for most of the week. In 2018 and 2019 I had to meet with HR because my absence levels were high due to mental health issues. 2020 was probably heading that way. Since working from home I've had zero days off ill. I haven't so much as missed a single minute through illness.

Sorry to hear that as you have said how much better things were being at home.

I think companies forcing people back into the office 5 days a week will find it difficult recruiting on such a basis and eventually will have their hands forced.

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

Sorry to hear that as you have said how much better things were being at home.

I think companies forcing people back into the office 5 days a week will find it difficult recruiting on such a basis and eventually will have their hands forced.

Would love to think that your assessment is correct there but suspect it may be the other way round. There will be too many people looking for jobs to make "must work from home" be on a potential employee's demands and taken seriously.

27 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The mood music regarding continuing working from home at my place is very much pointing towards having absolutely everyone back in to the office full time with zero home working as soon as possible.

Not really surprised but very disappointed and quite angry by this. They just won't listen to anything about it. I can't actually do it. I can't go back to full time in an office. I genuinely think I'd end up in a very bad way if I had to. Had some pretty unpleasant spiralling thoughts last week that had me really down for most of the week. In 2018 and 2019 I had to meet with HR because my absence levels were so high due to mental health issues. 2020 was probably heading that way until we all get sent home. Since working from home I've had zero days off ill. I haven't so much as missed a single minute through illness.

There’s surely an occupational health reasons to allow you WFH.  It’s quite clearly a reasonable adaptation for the business to make to support you.

Sounds like Baracus falling victim to something I have suspected all along will become very prevalent. 

We dont have a good reason not to allow you to work for home, but on the basis that you want it, and it would make you happy, there must be some pish ripping angle we arent seeing, and so you arent getting it. 

Trust in employees is the main reason why WFH wont be anywhere near as permanent as it appears it probably should be atm

My current manager is overly keen to get everyone back into the office asap.

I'm starting a new job later this month though and have just been sent a 10 page document detailing protocols etc for being in the office, and it appears working from home will remain the default position while restrictions etc are still in place at the very least.

I had a truly awful time of it of late at work and applied for other jobs but didn’t know my cv uploaded onto indeed.com when I applied and the managing director of my company found it and pulled me into his office over it. Was awkward as f**k.