Work colleagues

That is mental, what other shite has she done??
One time the day before payday, she phoned M&S to ask if they could put a jacket she liked by until the next day. The rage was impressive as she was told it wasn't company policy. She shouted down the phone at the poor unfortunate that they'd lost a sale before slamming the receiver down and loudly complaining to anyone that would listen. She wrote a letter to them but I've no idea if she ever heard back.

Another time, she returned a fruit drink to WH Smith because it was 19p dearer than the price at the shelf had said. She only realised when she checked the receipt after her lunchbreak and took it back the next day. She didn't get the refund and boycotted the shop for about a year.

2 minutes ago, microdave said:

One time the day before payday, she phoned M&S to ask if they could put a jacket she liked by until the next day. The rage was impressive as she was told it wasn't company policy. She shouted down the phone at the poor unfortunate that they'd lost a sale before slamming the receiver down and loudly complaining to anyone that would listen. She wrote a letter to them but I've no idea if she ever heard back.

Another time, she returned a fruit drink to WH Smith because it was 19p dearer than the price at the shelf had said. She only realised when she checked the receipt after her lunchbreak and took it back the next day. She didn't get the refund and boycotted the shop for about a year.

She sounds a hoot!

1 hour ago, microdave said:

More!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bump - quite surprised how far down the list this thread fell!

Asking for a friend (...) - say you're a temp worker and they end up asking you to do work related activity unpaid, what sort of recourse/who should you go to?

It's only hypothetical but my friend (...) has a funny feeling that this may be coming up in relation to some admin stuff needing done, would take a guess at the nature of it that it amounts to about a couple of hours of tedious work in total thats outside of ordinary responsibilities but has a deadline coming up. My friend (...) also had to eat a little bit of shit over time spent getting set up working from home way back in March last year but shrugged it off at the time, basically a "oh btw we're only going to pay you from when you started working not when you started trying to get set up at home or any of your time on hold with our IT department, haha, enjoy the rest of your shift :)"  deal but it was only 2/3 hours there and given the exceptional circumstances it didn't fester for too long.

My friend (...) will tell their employer to go f**k themselves if they're expecting additional work outside of the timesheet or during the lunch hour, but is wondering if there's better options available than that. Not megabux but if they try to discipline anyone over that surely thats a no-no. My friend (...) has also started grabbing some images of emails/teamchat messages in relation to this work and might note any call times if they're fly about it and try to pressure my friend (...) on an unrecorded call or something.

the gist is that they're hoping it quietens down enough before the deadline that the work can be done in normal hours, which sounds reasonable enough, but it may well be that they try to get folk to stay on past their shift on deadline day to do this work and to eat shit unpaid for the privilege to boot...

Would the simplest thing to do be to not kick up much of a stink but just put the time onto my friends (... oh enough of the dots) timesheet for however long it takes to do the additional work and put the ball in their court to refuse to approve the time worked?

I really really hope it doesnt come to that for my friend but it just feels like there's a storm brewing over this...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Does your "friend" not have some kind of contract even if they're a temp?

f**k doing work you're not paid for unless you've agreed to do it voluntarily.

And if it was me and the issue was forced then the unpaid admin work would be done by filing everything in the wrong place/shredder, putting wrong dates in the diary etc but in such a way that it's not discovered until after my contract is up...

10 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

A bump - quite surprised how far down the list this thread fell!

Asking for a friend (...) - say you're a temp worker and they end up asking you to do work related activity unpaid, what sort of recourse/who should you go to?

It's only hypothetical but my friend (...) has a funny feeling that this may be coming up in relation to some admin stuff needing done, would take a guess at the nature of it that it amounts to about a couple of hours of tedious work in total thats outside of ordinary responsibilities but has a deadline coming up. My friend (...) also had to eat a little bit of shit over time spent getting set up working from home way back in March last year but shrugged it off at the time, basically a "oh btw we're only going to pay you from when you started working not when you started trying to get set up at home or any of your time on hold with our IT department, haha, enjoy the rest of your shift :)"  deal but it was only 2/3 hours there and given the exceptional circumstances it didn't fester for too long.

My friend (...) will tell their employer to go f**k themselves if they're expecting additional work outside of the timesheet or during the lunch hour, but is wondering if there's better options available than that. Not megabux but if they try to discipline anyone over that surely thats a no-no. My friend (...) has also started grabbing some images of emails/teamchat messages in relation to this work and might note any call times if they're fly about it and try to pressure my friend (...) on an unrecorded call or something.

the gist is that they're hoping it quietens down enough before the deadline that the work can be done in normal hours, which sounds reasonable enough, but it may well be that they try to get folk to stay on past their shift on deadline day to do this work and to eat shit unpaid for the privilege to boot...

Would the simplest thing to do be to not kick up much of a stink but just put the time onto my friends (... oh enough of the dots) timesheet for however long it takes to do the additional work and put the ball in their court to refuse to approve the time worked?

I really really hope it doesnt come to that for my friend but it just feels like there's a storm brewing over this...

Why don't you sit down and look in the mirror and have a chat with your...friend?

51 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Does your "friend" not have some kind of contract even if they're a temp?

f**k doing work you're not paid for unless you've agreed to do it voluntarily.

And if it was me and the issue was forced then the unpaid admin work would be done by filing everything in the wrong place/shredder, putting wrong dates in the diary etc but in such a way that it's not discovered until after my contract is up...

Think there will be a way to check that on the online portal yeah, cheers, will try to check that. Might not come to it for all that.