Work colleagues

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

The unpaid overtime I did was due to being thrown onto new roles and receive zero training or help.
Basically all over the place during the day and thought that this was the only way to learn and ensure a less stressful time further on.
The obvious question was why not ask for training. There is no training.
Most others either refuse, dont get asked or do it badly.
End result was then getting more roles and the same thing repeats.

On the positive side I managed to find a psychologist online who is excellent and explains everything as matter of fact.
She's an expert on toxic workplaces and mobbing and her videos links it all together.
I think that validation is the most helpful and why I've gone daft on here because people tried to joke about it or blame me.
What I've realised is that certain people are damaged and don't realise it but unfortunately these traits of confidence and being able to control others is seen by clueless employers as leadership material when most of the time its one side of a jekyll and Hyde psychopath personality.
They need to cause chaos, humiliate and ruin people. Its just who they are. If you react or attract attention to it then you will be a target. So best to be inept, sycophantic and disinterested than skilled, self reliant and engaged.
Bizarre but true imo.

Maybe best to take this kind of stuff to the Depression Thread if you're going to react badly to a red dot and unsympathetic responses.

You're the absolute fucking poster child for this sentiment. You've spent years on here complaining about your work and your neighbours and the countless situations where everything you think and do is right, but everyone's against you. You've employed various coping mechanisms about it when you do, usually "I'm too nice" or "too honest" or "I care too much" and yet, despite all of this you don't do anything to try and fix those problems. If you're right, why haven't you taken it to someone who can do something about it? If your organisation is so corrupt and intolerable, why have you stuck with it for so long? Better yet, why do you seem to enjoy spending so long on here complaining about it?
Don't be surprised that people are fed up with your shite, because it's been going on for far longer than anyone with any sense would tolerate. Now you've started doing on P&B what you say you do in real life. You're transferring your own faults on to everyone else. Everyone's being mean! They're making things up about me! It's all their fault! The worst part here is you have the cheek to try and appear magnanimous when you're doing it. Wind your fucking neck in and take some responsibility for your own life instead of telling yourself everyone else is wrong and you're always right.
Is that not what youre doing though?
This is a thread about work colleagues.
The last time I talked about it someone recommended that I try something. I did that and talked about it and still got a red dot. Then when I tried to query it things were said that wasn't true and then when I tried to fight back was shut down further.
If you don't want to read work related posts on a work related thread then don't read it.
What is so stressful about it?
Are you sure that its not just people getting a kick out of winding people up?
I never said I was faultless and fully admit I should have done something about it. I posted quite a positive post and still got shit for it.
Yet I need to wind my neck in.
Fair enough, seems like strange logic though.

Guest bernardblack
Is there anyone, in any company in the world, who leads a "Social Committee" that isn't a complete fucking weapon? 
If I ever own my own company and have to interview anyone, my first question will be "Do you have any desire to be the head of the Social Committee?" and if the answer is "yes" the trapdoor opens.

The social committee in my old work was actually full of sound folk. There was a policy (enforced) that there had to be a drink token situation at parties...pretty much to avoid the term free bar, but they made sure everyone got as many as they wanted etc

11 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I actually joined (was coerced into) the social committee in a previous work place. More or less my sole purpose was to ensure there was lots of free booze. It was run by a very attractive lass, who was essentially made to do it because she was PA to the department head and her second in command 'the General', a recently separated from her boyfriend, man hating control freak who wanted to call the shots. The rest of the members were essentially just there to be dogsbody's for the General. 

I remember one of the missions was to visit locations in Edinburgh to host the Christmas party, this was done during office hours which was ideal as my boss being the good corporate employee actually thought this was an important task. Turns out everyone else ditched this task except for me and the General. Great. So off we went on our trip around the city visiting various places and on the way she complained about her ex, and in general "why are men assholes" followed up with enquiring of any single friends I may have. Took me all my will power not to say "I'm sure they'd be dying to meet you". It was fun.  I remember thinking to myself, what the actual f*ck am I doing here, this isn't anything I would normally do, but f*ck it we're here now. Turned out to actually be quite class, loads of free food, free booze and all these places were trying very hard to get the business. The downside was I had to actually pretend I gave a f**k about any of this, the General had a big folder and lots of questions and I'm there with fuckall to contribute, I think I might have asked at some point "How tall is the Christmas tree?" in a desperate attempt to add something, I think it was met with odd looks and some laughter. 

By the time we finished, there was no real point making our way back to the office, after having consumed a fair amount of champagne I was feeling a small buzz and in the mood to get on it. The General suggested a debrief, actual words used, so I suggested the pub and she agreed. By this point the alcohol had softened her attitude and I believe she may also be having some fun, I am after all quite good company. In the pub, she literally meant a debrief,

Sorry to spoil it for others but this was the point at which I was expecting her to hand your her knickers. 

Sounded a good way to spend company time anyway. 

58 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I actually joined (was coerced into) the social committee in a previous work place. More or less my sole purpose was to ensure there was lots of free booze. It was run by a very attractive lass, who was essentially made to do it because she was PA to the department head and her second in command 'the General', a recently separated from her boyfriend, man hating control freak who wanted to call the shots. The rest of the members were essentially just there to be dogsbody's for the General. 

I remember one of the missions was to visit locations in Edinburgh to host the Christmas party, this was done during office hours which was ideal as my boss being the good corporate employee actually thought this was an important task. Turns out everyone else ditched this task except for me and the General. Great. So off we went on our trip around the city visiting various places and on the way she complained about her ex, and in general "why are men assholes" followed up with enquiring of any single friends I may have. Took me all my will power not to say "I'm sure they'd be dying to meet you". It was fun.  I remember thinking to myself, what the actual f*ck am I doing here, this isn't anything I would normally do, but f*ck it we're here now. Turned out to actually be quite class, loads of free food, free booze and all these places were trying very hard to get the business. The downside was I had to actually pretend I gave a f**k about any of this, the General had a big folder and lots of questions and I'm there with fuckall to contribute, I think I might have asked at some point "How tall is the Christmas tree?" in a desperate attempt to add something, I think it was met with odd looks and some laughter. 

By the time we finished, there was no real point making our way back to the office, after having consumed a fair amount of champagne I was feeling a small buzz and in the mood to get on it. The General suggested a debrief, actual words used, so I suggested the pub and she agreed. By this point the alcohol had softened her attitude and I believe she may also be having some fun, I am after all quite good company. In the pub, she literally meant a debrief, we sat down and she flung open the big folder and was ready to discuss it. f**k me. I got the drinks so I could at least order a chaser as well as pint. I got back and the General was in full flow of themes and colour schemes. f**k. But it gave me the opportunity to stress the importance of free booze and lots of it, which she seemed amenable to. Success and with that done, I somehow managed to convince her that "oh we need to probably discuss with the others" I thought she would be reluctant, but she agreed and the folder disappeared. Briefly it was back to the ex and man hating. I was thinking what in fucks name am I doing again. Then it actually became quite a laugh and the internal gossip flowed. 

We drank for quite some time, I'm a fairly capable session drinker and by this point I could see she was not. The battle hardened General was now quite coy and then flirtatious. Before I really knew it we were back at my place and the General was very much ready for action. The fucking things I do to ensure people have a decent Christmas night out with loads of booze. The next week was massively awkward and I left the social committee. As expected when Christmas night out came the General had returned and she was incredibly frosty with me. But alcohol flowed and everyone else was having a nice time. Some say I even saved Christmas. I was more or less regarded as a hero.***

***So we never ended up back at my place, she did seem to suggest it until she found out I was not single and in no way interested. I just wanted to end it the way people thought it was going since you had to read all that. Unsurprisingly the rest is true and I did however leave once the booze situ was confirmed and she was in fact very frosty with me for leaving. Also rumours in the office arose there was something between us, no idea where that came from but it took a fair while to shift. 

You can tell I am absolutely fully in the Christmas wind down. 

@D.A.F.C see what might happen if you put a bit of effort in?

48 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I'm there with fuckall to contribute, I think I might have asked at some point "How tall is the Christmas tree?" in a desperate attempt to add something, I think it was met with odd looks and some laughter.

A few years ago I found myself in a similar 'out of my comfort zone' scenario. I work at a college and was asked to be on a two-man panel, grilling groups of S5/S6 school pupils about potential space experiments - with the winning idea actually being sent to the ISS. The panel was me, with a Standard Grade 3 in Physics and 5 in Chemistry, and former NASA astronaut Michael Foale.

Michael asked about 20 questions that I didn't understand, turned to me for my input and and my only question to a team pitching an experiment on ants was: "How many ants you going to take up there?" As if that made any fucking difference to anything.

Spoiler

I would've happily accepted some laughter in place of the stunned silence I got back.

'Zoom Christmas Party' tomorrow at 3. Suggestions include:

"We can go on mute and sing a song then everyone has to guess what it is!"

"A treasure hunt you need to run and find different items around the house."

Mccringe

There's a corner of my room that is to wifi what the North Pole is to warm weather - I'll be setting up there and experiencing technical issues.

14 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You're the absolute fucking poster child for this sentiment. You've spent years on here complaining about your work and your neighbours and the countless situations where everything you think and do is right, but everyone's against you. You've employed various coping mechanisms about it when you do, usually "I'm too nice" or "too honest" or "I care too much" and yet, despite all of this you don't do anything to try and fix those problems. If you're right, why haven't you taken it to someone who can do something about it? If your organisation is so corrupt and intolerable, why have you stuck with it for so long? Better yet, why do you seem to enjoy spending so long on here complaining about it?

Don't be surprised that people are fed up with your shite, because it's been going on for far longer than anyone with any sense would tolerate. Now you've started doing on P&B what you say you do in real life. You're transferring your own faults on to everyone else. Everyone's being mean! They're making things up about me! It's all their fault! The worst part here is you have the cheek to try and appear magnanimous when you're doing it. Wind your fucking neck in and take some responsibility for your own life instead of telling yourself everyone else is wrong and you're always right.

"A'bodies oot o' step but oor Jock" syndrome.

14 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Is that not what youre doing though?
This is a thread about work colleagues.
The last time I talked about it someone recommended that I try something. I did that and talked about it and still got a red dot. Then when I tried to query it things were said that wasn't true and then when I tried to fight back was shut down further.
If you don't want to read work related posts on a work related thread then don't read it.
What is so stressful about it?
Are you sure that its not just people getting a kick out of winding people up?
I never said I was faultless and fully admit I should have done something about it. I posted quite a positive post and still got shit for it.
Yet I need to wind my neck in.
Fair enough, seems like strange logic though.

Forget about the red f******* dots! You're only encouraging those that indulge in that sort of behaviour.

5 minutes ago, Slacker said:

A few years ago I found myself in a similar 'out of my comfort zone' scenario. I work at a college and was asked to be on a two-man panel, grilling groups of S5/S6 school pupils about potential space experiments - with the winning idea actually being sent to the ISS. The panel was me, with a Standard Grade 3 in Physics and 5 in Chemistry, and former NASA astronaut Michael Foale.

Michael asked about 20 questions that I didn't understand, turned to me for my input and and my only question to a team pitching an experiment on ants was: "How many ants you going to take up there?" As if that made any fucking difference to anything.

Hide contents

I would've happily accepted some laughter in place of the stunned silence I got back.

Ants in space, eh?

Freedom! Horrible, Horrible Freedom! : TheSimpsons

46 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Hide contents

Bob Plant looks pretty 'excited' to be on stage there.