Work colleagues

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think you've taken more from it than was required. He's a comedian, you're not supposed to take what he says seriously.

But other people see him as legendary because of his social commentary, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't care so much. 

29 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

But other people see him as legendary because of his social commentary, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't care so much. 

As a fan of Bill Hicks I can honestly say that social commentary features quite low on the list of reasons i like him. Here's the full list:

Funny. 

I enjoyed Hicks' CDs when I was in my 20s. They were always a bit repetitive but I generally enjoyed them. Thinking back to some of those routines, the Iraqi war stuff was great and there weren't many people doing stuff as clever at that at the time, at least I don't recall them. I enjoyed his punching up stuff more than the punching down stuff. I have nothing to back this up, but I wonder if that was more a "if the audience is behind you, you're facing the wrong way" kinda thing. In other words, he never seemed to be one to want an audience on his side for an entire show and at some point, after agreeing with him for 20 minutes or whatever, he'd switch and say something crass or offensive so you end up not knowing what to think because you agreed with the guy 30 seconds ago. Stand-up comedians don't always believe everything they say.

If Bill Hicks hadn't died young he would now be a washed out has-been with a Las Vegas residency, living on the memory of his edgy youth.

I was thinking about this recently, how would People’s heroes who died young be now. It was after the Ian Brown, anti-Vaxxer tweets and made me consider how embarrassing my favourite artists who have died would be now.

Richey Edwards would be writing for Spiked and would have been a candidate for the Brexit Party in South Wales.

Ian Curtis would be defending statues from the woke left.

Kurt Cobain would have built a huge fortified ranch and have more guns in there than David Koresh.

I was thinking about this recently, how would People’s heroes who died young be now. It was after the Ian Brown, anti-Vaxxer tweets and made me consider how embarrassing my favourite artists who have died would be now.

Richey Edwards would be writing for Spiked and would have been a candidate for the Brexit Party in South Wales.
Kurt Cobain would have built a huge fortified ranch and have more guns in there than David Koresh.
You aimed big with your heroes, and you are paying for it. OTOH for me, Kevin McAllister is still alive. As I understand it he likes pints in the Roman Bar and still wears lovely shirt/jumper combos.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

@Richey Edwards would be writing for Spiked and would have been a candidate for the Brexit Party in South Wales.

Shots fired....

50 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

certain of my colleagues are beginning to get found out by this groundbreaking finding that outside the office environment employers appreciate folk who actually do the work.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200827-why-in-person-leaders-may-not-be-the-best-virtual-ones?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

This seed of professional vexation has borne fruit, with new data showing that the confidence, intelligence and extroversion that have long propelled ambitious workers into the executive suite are not enough online, because they simply don’t translate into virtual leadership. Instead, workers who are organised, dependable and productive take the reins of virtual teams. Finally, doers lead the pack – at least remotely.

I'd bet those ambitious, extroverted types were always terrible leaders. Remote working has just highlighted how little they do, rather than actually changed anything.

Edited by Gordon EF

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I'd bet those ambitious, extroverted types were always terrible leaders. Remote working has just highlighted how little they do, rather than actually changed anything.

i havent worked in one for years but i remember reading some post from a guy that claimed to have worked for various call centres for several years (may have been on P&B tbf), and every single one seemed to have a remarkable number of Team Leader's / Operations Manager types that just seemed to be carbon copies of each other - all 100ish IQ extreme extroverts that were, by and large, quite shite at their job.

Male versions - new build Barratt home (on finance), nearly new Audi A3 (on finance), gelled hair, punchable face etc. etc.

Female versions - obsessed with Love Island/Geordie Shore type shows, Fiat 500 (on finance), compulsion to actively use every single form of popular social media that exists etc. etc.

Middle managers are a bit pointless. Just a mouthpiece for senior managers who think theyre above speaking to the peasants.

Best managers I've had was at a company that didn't have to answer to a large corporate. As long as the work was done and done well you never felt under pressure or were harassed.
It took me a while to adjust after working in factory type conditions for a while.
Wow, these people trust me. This feels wrong.
Also at nights out the worst offenders were the higher ups, we got banned from every restaurant or pub we hired five years in a row.
[emoji38]
Its amazing how much the culture effects things.

All these look at me im hassling people to look important types will have nothing to do now if everyone is working from home.
No doubt they'll find some way of annoying folk
Teams meeting every hour on the hour, you must be logged in for 8 hours a day or else
WE DONT TRUST YOU

i havent worked in one for years but i remember reading some post from a guy that claimed to have worked for various call centres for several years (may have been on P&B tbf), and every single one seemed to have a remarkable number of Team Leader's / Operations Manager types that just seemed to be carbon copies of each other - all 100ish IQ extreme extroverts that were, by and large, quite shite at their job.
Male versions - new build Barratt home (on finance), nearly new Audi A3 (on finance), gelled hair, punchable face etc. etc.
Female versions - obsessed with Love Island/Geordie Shore type shows, Fiat 500 (on finance), compulsion to actively use every single form of popular social media that exists etc. etc.
Nailed it

Middle managers are a bit pointless. Just a mouthpiece for senior managers who think theyre above speaking to the peasants.

Best managers I've had was at a company that didn't have to answer to a large corporate. As long as the work was done and done well you never felt under pressure or were harassed.
It took me a while to adjust after working in factory type conditions for a while.
Wow, these people trust me. This feels wrong.
Also at nights out the worst offenders were the higher ups, we got banned from every restaurant or pub we hired five years in a row.
[emoji38]
Its amazing how much the culture effects things.

All these look at me im hassling people to look important types will have nothing to do now if everyone is working from home.
No doubt they'll find some way of annoying folk
Teams meeting every hour on the hour, you must be logged in for 8 hours a day or else
WE DONT TRUST YOU
This is like that Gazza post all over again..... Arent you a bit mortified at getting banned from places on nights out?

Guaranteed these high jinks consisted mainly of treating pub/restaurant staff like shite.

This is like that Gazza post all over again..... Arent you a bit mortified at getting banned from places on nights out?

Guaranteed these high jinks consisted mainly of treating pub/restaurant staff like shite.
Two was down to them running out of beer, we agreed a fixed price. Got chucked out early.
One was someone who pissed down the stairs at vitorias near Chambers Street. Was a free bar and he was tee total.
Year before was someone fighting with another guy from different party in the dome.
Dont know the other reason.
Not saying it was anything to be proud of but that senior managers were just down to earth and played fives, drank and talked to everyone as if we were equal. Which is good.
Not sure what gazza has to do with the price of cheese

58 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Never worked in one myself but I remember watching 'The Call Centre' on BBC a few years ago. All the team leaders were exactly as you described. In addition, all of them seemed to be gym freaks that squeezed into the smallest suits possible and used every buzzword going when they spoke, rather than say anything that made any sense at all. They also all seemed to think they were young Warren Buffets because they lead a team of 20 folk in a call centre.

Bizzare, loathsome individuals.

Edited by Gordon EF