Work colleagues

14 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Ok, asking for advice.

Have got a serious grievance against promotion and interview process that's been going back five years now.
I know that I need to leave but its something that needs talked about.

Seems longer, tbqh

Sounds an absolute nightmare of a place to work but to be honest I do find everything you've written hard to believe. You've described everyone you work with as an alky, bully, lazy etc.

I can't really see anything good coming from you reporting it to HR and if all of the above is true then it sounds like your HR department leaks like a sieve and freely shares confidential information.

I did say that there was a group of workers who were hard working and honest.
The two workers alky and lazy are good but have these flaws. One was on a warming and the other was paid off before.
They're decent people though and it's not their fault, I don't hate them or get jealous it's just a fact that they had flaws.
The supervisor actually told me he moved one because he couldn't do quite a large part of his job (paperwork side) but was good at problem solving. Well you would be when you got all the projects to do and work from others.
As said it's not a meritocracy but f**k me this is so far the other way its not real.

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

I'd say being attacked by flying monkeys is a serious h&s violation. 

I have a lot of sympathy for your situation, having worked under cliquey regimes previously. If you're not in, you're out. I knew it was a short term issue though so never felt trapped like you clearly do. 

From your greivances though it sounds like you think you should get promotion as a reward for being really good at your current role. That's just not how it works. You only have to demonstrate that you haven't totally screwed your current role. You do have to demonstrate that you can do a different job. Sounds like you need to be less conscientious and more mercenary. 

Hope things improve for you. 

That's very true - excelling in a narrow field over a long period of time is rarely a plus point when selecting for promotion. We had one that had sat in the same job for eight or nine years and looked a standout in what was a pretty mediocre section, then decided it was time to start applying for promotion elsewhere. Unfortunately they couldn't prove any breadth of experience at interview - they had chosen looking good where they were in their comfort zone over gaining experience of other environments and thus being able to provide evidence that they weren't o one-trick pony.

Also, most managerial roles will require some evidence of soft skills in addition to just being able to do the mechanics of the job...giving off a perception rightly or wrongly that you have a difficult personality can be a clincher...I've seen it happen, with someone who was convinced they were a shoo-in being passed over in favour of another who was less well-matched to the job but who was seen as less rigid and dogmatic and generally far better with people.

That's very true - excelling in a narrow field over a long period of time is rarely a plus point when selecting for promotion. We had one that had sat in the same job for eight or nine years and looked a standout in what was a pretty mediocre section, then decided it was time to start applying for promotion elsewhere. Unfortunately they couldn't prove any breadth of experience at interview - they had chosen looking good where they were in their comfort zone over gaining experience of other environments and thus being able to provide evidence that they weren't o one-trick pony.

Also, most managerial roles will require some evidence of soft skills in addition to just being able to do the mechanics of the job...giving off a perception rightly or wrongly that you have a difficult personality can be a clincher...I've seen it happen, with someone who was convinced they were a shoo-in being passed over in favour of another who was less well-matched to the job but who was seen as less rigid and dogmatic and generally far better with people.

Agreed, the roles I applied for was a technical one and the other managing people. TBH I didnt even know what the second one was it was done in a weird way and the candidates were already chosen.

First one the guy with the least work experience and technical knowledge was chosen over three people with 40 years experience between them. This was because he was groomed for it and had everything on a plate.

"Can you tell me about the projects you've been working on?"

What the projects I used to do but was given to the other laddie

They were the ones handing out the projects. The promoted guy had it all prepared on his laptop for the interview.

Not saying I'm perfect or without flaws but as an analogy you're going to score more goals if you take all the penalties as opposed to a guy left on the bench.

[emoji38]

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

It sounds like you think you should get promotion as a reward for being really good at your current role. That's just not how it works. You only have to demonstrate that you haven't totally screwed your current role. You do have to demonstrate that you can do a different job.

Seen that happen many times. They get away with it for a wee bit as the competence isn't there to make any noteworthy changes that would highlight this, but eventually it catches up!

Serious question @D.A.F.C; why are you still there? Is this job really worth the massive toll it's taking on your health?

You don't owe them anything. You owe them no loyalty. Sounds like you've devoted far more time, energy and loyalty than they deserve from you.

Why do you think anything will change if you say something to HR. From what you've said before they don't listen or care so why do you think they will this time (or the next time, or the time after that, or the time after that)?

From what you've said you're powerless to make any changes there, so the same things will keep on happening, including you hoping it will get better.

It won't. What you can change is the company you work for. It really sounds like you desperately need to do that as soon as possible, otherwise you'll be posting the same stuff again in a few months, still frustrated and still being taken for a ride by your employers.

Not having a go at you here, just feel that you need to move on from that place as it's draining you and, despite your efforts, won't change. It's like a dodgy, one sided relationship that you want to work but just isn't going to.

37 minutes ago, steelmen said:

nah, this womans face is a bit chubbier and, i know i can't see how tall she is but, a bit shorter.

who is it?

Google 'Rangers fan Jill Sharp'.

you're pissing in the wind, people have been saying this for ages and he does f**k all. I'm beginning to think he enjoys the misery on some level.
Aye I love it. You can just walk into another job right enough. It's so easy.

14 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

you're pissing in the wind, people have been saying this for ages and he does f**k all. I'm beginning to think he enjoys the misery on some level.

I've known a few people who felt trapped by money; they hate their job, but they'd need to take a pay cut to move, so their pride tells them they have to stay put. Presumably their employer offers decent wages because they know that they're shite to work for.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

While that comes across as petulant, I do sometimes wonder how some people seem to glide effortlessly from one job to another. I don't think I've ever had a job where I didn't already know somebody who worked there, who was directly involved in the hiring process.

No, I can think of one, but they were offering awful wages - my pay went up by several thousand pounds when the minimum wage came in at its initial low level - and I wasn't even their first choice. The boss' mate from college initially got the job and left for within two weeks for something better.

14 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

To be fair though, you've been moaning about this place for years. Has there really been no opportunity to move on through all this? Didn't you say in an earlier post you had enough money to have a few months off too? I realise quitting your job without another one lined up is a dangerous game to play, but if your workplace is as toxic as you've made out then I can't help but thinking quitting and even taking up a part time job in the meantime would be more beneficial for you.

Just now, MixuFruit said:

Really? I thought he was just not on here because he'd got a pile of cash off the government and didn't have anything stressful going on that necessitated blowing off steam on P&B

No, he was a bit too much of a c**t for once and got sent packing.

We'll know he's back if anyone else ever stays up until the wee small hours on Christmas Eve to froth about poor people being allowed to claim benefits. Possibly while complaining about how much they hate posting on P&B. Then spending the next day endlessly repeating, "I am fine, everything is fine, the sun is shining".