Work colleagues

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

On our sports day I had his company when we were setting up the hurdles on the track. He was telling me that he was the fastest sprinter in his schooldays by a mile but he wasn't any good at hurdles. "But I was so strong that I just ran straight through the hurdles knocking them over. Still finished 2nd or 3rd".

This is a minor point in the context of your ex-colleague's overall dishonesty, but it has triggered my athletics-related pedantry.

Until this year, intentionally knocking over hurdles was a straight DQ (and it's still pretty much guaranteed to be a DQ). See UK Athletics Rule 22.6.

3 hours ago, sugna said:

This is a minor point in the context of your ex-colleague's overall dishonesty, but it has triggered my athletics-related pedantry.

Until this year, intentionally knocking over hurdles was a straight DQ (and it's still pretty much guaranteed to be a DQ). See UK Athletics Rule 22.6.

That settles it. He WAS lying. Thanks for the closure.

There used to be a complete fantasist in my old work who amongst many, many tales told these 2.

I had not long started, so didn’t know her and she brought in her ‘demo’ tape for everyone to hear. Just a normal clear see through tape. Into the radio/cassette player and it was Whitney Houston’s I will always love you. Few murmurs that it sounded exactly the same as Whitney and people pissing themselves laughing behind her. Got to the end of the ‘demo’ and the radio one jingle came on! She still insisted it was her, it’s just that tape was all they could find.

She was on holiday for 2 weeks and I’m sure the lassie that sat beside her had said she was book to go to Skegness. I had been there for 8-9 months and after the Whitney stuff I had been told everything so everyone was looking forward to her coming back. She came back all excited with some cheap Argos ring on. Apparently she had been to the Bahamas but couldn’t tell us as her new husband was in MI5 and he might have to work when he was there. They got married on the beach but right after he said I do he had to jump in a jet ski to chase someone, he did come back 30 mins later for the first kiss and first dance. He had to keep disappearing during the honeymoon but always came back to her. She wasn’t allowed to change her name as it could lead to him being tracked down.

She actually believed every word she said. I am sure she would pass a lie detector. she was a decent worker and certainly kept up staff morale with her tales.

How old was this woman? That sounds like the kind of thing kids at primary school come out with.

Please tell me everyone referred to her as Mrs Bond.

46 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Lie detector tests are a load of bollocks.

^^^ outed on the Kyle show for writing about sex prams during work hours

Just noticed that Health & Safety have been nipping at email addresses across the organisation about risk assessments since a few weeks after furlough started.

Worryingly, there'll be a few who have actually spent their layoff period typing up documents about working practices in an environment they can't be physically present in, concerning people they aren't able to know/properly consider. And one in particular who'll have replied, "I sent you mine before Christmas!"

15 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Worryingly, there'll be a few who have actually spent their layoff period typing up documents about working practices in an environment they can't be physically present in

It is your duty to report them and have your organisation pay back wrongly claimed for furlough payments. 

4 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

this bit's probably true

nope, as he didn't exist. Although it might all be true, just shes not really allowed to talk about it.

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

How old was this woman? That sounds like the kind of thing kids at primary school come out with.

Please tell me everyone referred to her as Mrs Bond.

In her late 30's when i started there. She was just full of stories, I tried to stay away from her.

Most just shook there head and got on with their work.

Workplaces, especially in big corporate organisations, will be overrun with staff training in the next few months and years. Expect to be sent away on training courses on mental health awareness, diversity/anti racism courses and risk assessments for pandemics.

Ok, asking for advice.

Have got a serious grievance against promotion and interview process that's been going back five years now.
I know that I need to leave but its something that needs talked about.
Upcoming appraisal and I've mentioned what happened in it.

Not mentioned in review document
Colleague was borderline alky on a warning for timekeeping. Wouldn't do his job and was a square peg in a round hole. Tried to apply for job and got blocked by manager who wanted to keep him in our department.
Next thing he gets given lots of extra roles and responsibilities and some taken from me and others depsite doing nothing wrong.
All of a sudden a job is announced (that hes been groomed for). Interview process goes wrong because they need to justify it to HR. Two week delay in selecting him.
Very dodgy reasoning given to me why I didn't get it. Completely contradicted what supervisor had told me a week before.
He was also told to apply for the role by the interviewers.
Told that if the role came up again I would be fast tracked and no need for interview just informal chat.

For context this supervisor is notorious for picking yes men and favourites who back his schemes of failure and lots of overtime.

Mentioned in review document
Next role supervisor is off sick for a few months. He pre selects his two juniors by telling them they should apply in advance.
One is his pal he sits with at break. Other one seems odd but has been sychophantic and two faced behind the scenes. (Not mentioned obviously)
I apply for it, its completely informal. No job description and knocked back.
Smoke blown up arse and told my skills are actually much higher technically than the two new supervisors. It is true actually in terms of what we do. I'm also more qualified than both put together. Neither has excelled at leadership but one has little experience before. The other was actually moved for causing issues with staff and tried to bully a female colleague.
Again told that thanks for stepping up and this time the top of the business has been made aware so if any job comes up you will be in line.

Next step, few months later (two/three) the first job comes up again because the original guy is leaving. I ask the supervisor what's happening. He tells me he doesnt know. At the same time another colleague tells me that hes told someone else if they still want this job. (He also applied for first role, we were both close)
Next thing email comes out last thing on a friday saying that the colleague the supervisor asked if he wanted it has got the job. No interview, no discussion, nothing said to me.
I know that I'm more qualified and can output twice what this guy does every day. Hes been called lazy by quite a few colleagues.

Spoke to supervisor asked why I wasnt even spoken to. He tells me it was another department that made the decision.
This seems to be a lie considering the history plus hes a notorious liar and bully.
He threatened me once and I mentioned this to his boss. So.....

And that's pretty much present day, this is where all my moaning comes from. Sorry it's a long read and if anyone can bear reading it all can you advise?

Appraisal coming up soon from one of the junior yes men so I'm assuming they will be told to sweep it under the carpet.
Should I push it with hr?

10 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Ok, asking for advice.

Have got a serious grievance against promotion and interview process that's been going back five years now.
I know that I need to leave but its something that needs talked about.
Upcoming appraisal and I've mentioned what happened in it.

Not mentioned in review document
Colleague was borderline alky on a warning for timekeeping. Wouldn't do his job and was a square peg in a round hole. Tried to apply for job and got blocked by manager who wanted to keep him in our department.
Next thing he gets given lots of extra roles and responsibilities and some taken from me and others depsite doing nothing wrong.
All of a sudden a job is announced (that hes been groomed for). Interview process goes wrong because they need to justify it to HR. Two week delay in selecting him.
Very dodgy reasoning given to me why I didn't get it. Completely contradicted what supervisor had told me a week before.
He was also told to apply for the role by the interviewers.
Told that if the role came up again I would be fast tracked and no need for interview just informal chat.

For context this supervisor is notorious for picking yes men and favourites who back his schemes of failure and lots of overtime.

Mentioned in review document
Next role supervisor is off sick for a few months. He pre selects his two juniors by telling them they should apply in advance.
One is his pal he sits with at break. Other one seems odd but has been sychophantic and two faced behind the scenes. (Not mentioned obviously)
I apply for it, its completely informal. No job description and knocked back.
Smoke blown up arse and told my skills are actually much higher technically than the two new supervisors. It is true actually in terms of what we do. I'm also more qualified than both put together. Neither has excelled at leadership but one has little experience before. The other was actually moved for causing issues with staff and tried to bully a female colleague.
Again told that thanks for stepping up and this time the top of the business has been made aware so if any job comes up you will be in line.

Next step, few months later (two/three) the first job comes up again because the original guy is leaving. I ask the supervisor what's happening. He tells me he doesnt know. At the same time another colleague tells me that hes told someone else if they still want this job. (He also applied for first role, we were both close)
Next thing email comes out last thing on a friday saying that the colleague the supervisor asked if he wanted it has got the job. No interview, no discussion, nothing said to me.
I know that I'm more qualified and can output twice what this guy does every day. Hes been called lazy by quite a few colleagues.

Spoke to supervisor asked why I wasnt even spoken to. He tells me it was another department that made the decision.
This seems to be a lie considering the history plus hes a notorious liar and bully.
He threatened me once and I mentioned this to his boss. So.....

And that's pretty much present day, this is where all my moaning comes from. Sorry it's a long read and if anyone can bear reading it all can you advise?

Appraisal coming up soon from one of the junior yes men so I'm assuming they will be told to sweep it under the carpet.
Should I push it with hr?

Genuinely, leave that job ASAP. It's doing you no good at all. It seems to be really getting to and seemingly has done for years. 

You're doing yourself no good staying there. What good will pushing it with HR really do at this point, unless you plan to stay? If you do plan to stay you're absolutely mental. Please don't take that as an insult as I don't mean it to be, but you've posted many times about the environment of that job and it sounds like it's killing you man.

It isn't your problem. You need to move from there and stop caring about it. Sounds like you've tried and sadly the structure won't allow you to make the changes you want. Tough break, but sometimes you just have to accept that and move on. 

4 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Do you actually do anything to change job or just post on here?!

Signed up for email alerts from sites, applied for several jobs in the last five years. Got to interview stage once, turned down interviews due to conditions another three times. Problem is I’m paid well and it’s very close so I’m not going to lose lots of cash but I’ve also saved lots after I was threatened and could easily afford a few months off. Have also thought about, but not looked into, open uni or online learning with part time job involving a hobby. I’m not saying I’m special or I’m the only one going through shit at work but I’ve genuinely put so much into it and it was going really well until this fucking idiot took over and turned reality on it’s head. It feels like myself and all the other good workers get punished and all the chancers or sycophants get rewarded. It’s hard to explain, sometimes when you’ve invested so much you want to see it through and push for what’s right even when it’s a bit daft to others looking in. 
I know what the solution is but with covid it’s going to be tough. Personally I think the best one for me is studying full time and taking a break from work unless some great job comes up.

Dont mean to go on about it in here but to see the total farce that’s unfolded and not be able to talk about it is infuriating. As said maybe taking it the whole way is the answer?

20 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Got an office wide email today from someone asking for their chair back immediately as it had been moved. 

The office is 99% empty, surely you can find another chair?

In fairness, I do know people with health problems, it can be quite important to have a chair set up in particular way.

if that is the case then it is fair enough.