Work colleagues

10 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I'm maybe explaining it badly...they come in on her day off and when she comes back in she refuses to answer them BECAUSE they came in on her day off.

Why don't the bosses get her telt?Would she ignore physical mail if it arrived for her on her day off?

Tell her a secret admirer sent her a bottle of wine and a bunch of flowers but you fucked them in the bin as it was her day off. 

My boss in my last job did the same. He didnt work Fridays and was very clear that he wouldnt look at emails sent between 6pm on Thursday evening and 8am Monday morning. Used to go as far as deleting them when he started on the Monday.

His rationale was that he shouldnt have to wade through 50 emails in his already limited working time and if anything was that important the people would come talk to him.

He was a pretty decent guy and this was him telling the senior management to GTF after them putting some gentle pressure on him to check his emails on Fridays and the higher ups sending requests at odd hours.

His job was totally safe and he was over performing massively on the days he actually worked so he never got challenged on it. If i tried it i would have got the bullet on the first day.

Got a new boss, who happens to be French and by all accounts isn’t really up to speed with English yet. When he was getting shown around, he was brought into the office me and my supervisor sit. He was introduced to us by name, after which he made a weird grunting noise, had a look about the room and walked out. Strange.
f**k that guy. You know what his game is. c**t.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:
Got a new boss, who happens to be French and by all accounts isn’t really up to speed with English yet. When he was getting shown around, he was brought into the office me and my supervisor sit. He was introduced to us by name, after which he made a weird grunting noise, had a look about the room and walked out. Strange.

f**k that guy. You know what his game is. c**t.

Why are you being so racist today? The French have feelings too you know. 

20 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Why are you being so racist today? The French have feelings too you know. 

I never mentioned his nationality. I have enough information to know he is a c**t from Monkmans post. Long history. 

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Make yourself popular with this icebreaker;

Why do the French plant trees at the side of the road?

So the Germans can march in the shade.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

I'm maybe explaining it badly...they come in on her day off and when she comes back in she refuses to answer them BECAUSE they came in on her day off.

Her boss is an utter coward. It’s something I utterly despise doing, but I wouldn’t think twice handing out the P45 in this scenario.

5 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Exactly. I know her boss has tried to have it out with her many times...

"What have you done with X?"

"Oh, that came in on a Friday"

"You still need to answer it"

"But I don't work Fridays..."

And so on.

Please describe the "and so on" part of the conversation. 

9 hours ago, ilostmyself said:

My boss in my last job did the same. He didnt work Fridays and was very clear that he wouldnt look at emails sent between 6pm on Thursday evening and 8am Monday morning. Used to go as far as deleting them when he started on the Monday.

Wish I done this at my old job. Would finish up on a Friday and always come back to 20-30 e-mails on the Monday. Almost none were ever marked urgent so I would do my usual start of the week duties and go through them all after lunch. Around about an hour later I would be halfway through a bunch of inane and dull messages from different departments I was CCd into where, for some reason, they felt I needed to be informed of stuff that had nothing to do with me then, right at the end, would be some message of vital importance that hadn't been marked urgent and should have been done three hours earlier or something. Fifteen e-mails about what sort of intercom we should have on the eating disorder wards nurse station before getting to the one that said "We're moving the server that holds all the information you need to do your job so you better back everything essential up before 10:00 on Monday morning."

14 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

That's nuts. Is there not a million folk complaining she's ignoring them?

Aye, that's ridiculous. At first I thought it meant she didn't deal with e-mails on her days off, which is fair enough, not that she wouldn't deal with e-mails which arrived on her days off.

14 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I think they assume you'll be taught all about "computer stuff" at school. It'll be hit-and-miss whether anyone now older than mid-forties will have had any computer experience back then. The IT experience I got at school is, and was at the time, useless, as every IT teacher I had seemed to have been moved over from trade classes and barely knew how to switch the machines on. Entire years spent typing out documents, without the touch-typing instruction to make it useful, before pissing around with basic games on BBC Micro/RM Nimbus computers.

I turn positively verdant when I hear middle-aged men talking about how they learned to program at school, as they had a teacher who actually gave a f**k/knew what they were doing. I understand the kids these days can take Microsoft/CompTIA/Cisco certification exams as part of their schooling. Seriously tempted to join the miserable auld b*****d, I-never-had-that-so-the-weans-shouldn't-either, brigade.

Computers hadn't been invented when I was at school. Or secondary school. Or third level education.

Eventually had to learn enough to do my job, still very basic skills, always worked in places that were small enough and friendly enough for someone to do the "difficult" stuff for me.

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

She is 100% correct, you Tory fat cats.

By forcing her to catch up on work from her days off you are making her to do the same amount of work as a full-timer but on P/T hours and pay. 
I wouldn't do it. 

Also if it's urgent then it shouldn't be in an email anyway. This isn't the 90s, boomer.

She could put an out of office message on giving her working hours and alternative contacts for urgent enquiries. If she is part time I'd expect her job to be loaded proportionately to her hours.

39 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

She could put an out of office message on giving her working hours and alternative contacts for urgent enquiries. If she is part time I'd expect her job to be loaded proportionately to her hours.

As long as they don't expect her to set that up and activate it on her day off...

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Computers hadn't been invented when I was at school. Or secondary school. Or third level education.

Sure they had. They just didn't trust you wee nyaffs around all of those vacuum tubes.