Work colleagues

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
4 hours ago, Hauzen said:
Yikes, the lack of understanding of working time regulations regarding annual leave is staggering. No wonder folk are getting their panties in a twist.

As is your lack of contractual obligation.

@coprolite already schooled you on that a couple of pages ago, maybe you didn't understand it properly.

12 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I must be daft as I'm still not getting it. If I'm being told when I go back to work I have to take fridays off, I'm still being paid for the fridays, no?

You're right that it makes no difference to cash-flow in the short term; Its an accounting thing. Every day of leave you hold as an entitlement sits as a liability on the company's balance sheet. Its money they are obliged to pay at some time in the future which they will get no return on.  

Would make sense if nobody went anywhere or did anything when it was raining. Also dunno about you but I generally use my annual leave to get the f**k out of this country for a bit, generally to somewhere less wet. 
This subject has fair weeded out the Tories on the forum anyway.

I sit somewhere in the middle. The furlough period has coincided with mostly tremendous weather so it would have felt like a extended holiday for most people. On the other side, it is a contractual obligation for holidays to be given. There has to be some leeway on both sides. People having three months off on decent pay and then coming back and looking to take further holidays need to have an understanding of the business needs.

Made the fateful return to work this Monday and the fateful return to P&B at the same time.

Went in thinking positive seeing as I had been off for 12 weeks, ready to knuckle down and batter on with some work. 8:05am all positivity was gone.

The old c**t in my office let off an absolute ripper of a fart, stunk the place out a belter. By 10:30am he was cutting his nails at the desk with the office scissors. Shortly after one of the office rulers became his back scratcher. Today, a paperclip became a tool to remove his earwax with which he has rolled up into balls and dropped somewhere on the floor.

Furlough me again. Please.

Made the fateful return to work this Monday and the fateful return to P&B at the same time.
Went in thinking positive seeing as I had been off for 12 weeks, ready to knuckle down and batter on with some work. 8:05am all positivity was gone.
The old c**t in my office let off an absolute ripper of a fart, stunk the place out a belter. By 10:30am he was cutting his nails at the desk with the office scissors. Shortly after one of the office rulers became his back scratcher. Today, a paperclip became a tool to remove his earwax with which he has rolled up into balls and dropped somewhere on the floor.
Furlough me again. Please.
PARKLIFE!

21 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Anyone got any persistent can't-work-technology types? I've just sat for 15 minutes along with 10 other folk waiting for the same person as always who has been repeatedly failing to tackle the incredibly difficult challenge of phoning a number and keying in a conference code. I get that this has been a disruptive time for people but come on to f**k it is getting ridiculous that the same few folk are delaying everything. I don't think there would be so much patience if we were still in an office.

Theres an older guy in my work who claims he keeps forgetting the password to his account, or if he remembers it he dosent know how to open outlook and send an email. The other one is that he dosent know the difference between a text or an email when using his phone. So you can send him a text and two hours later you get an email he sent from his phone with no punctuation, capital letters or anything at all. 

It's a total tactic so he dosent need to do anything IT based so it means it all falls to me to do it or no records etc would ever get kept.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Anyone got any persistent can't-work-technology types? I've just sat for 15 minutes along with 10 other folk waiting for the same person as always who has been repeatedly failing to tackle the incredibly difficult challenge of phoning a number and keying in a conference code. I get that this has been a disruptive time for people but come on to f**k it is getting ridiculous that the same few folk are delaying everything. I don't think there would be so much patience if we were still in an office.

On hearing that my wifi connection was down my boss told me to check the cable was connected.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

My favourite was a colleague called Bill.   On one occasion he had to type in his name.  He searched the keyboard for the letter B.  Then the letter I.  Then the letter L.  Then the letter L again.

often folk get absolutely zero meaningful IT training tbh. My industry has sneaked in more and more PC based stuff for my role, fucking nonsense spreadsheets and the like, never once across various workplaces have I been taught anything by anyone.

56 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

On hearing that my wifi connection was down my boss told me to check the cable was connected.

I don't if I'm missing something here but surely he meant the cable from your modem to router or your power cable or something?

6 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I know someone who, back in the days of desktops, wondered why his screen was blank until someone pointed out his computer was missing. 

During my apprenticeship I was walking around looking for my hammer and eventually found it in my hand. 

I smoked too much hash back then. 

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

It's that kind of wilful ignorance that they almost wear as a badge of pride - "You'll never be able to teach me how to do THAT..." almost as if currently not understanding and continuing not to is something to be aspired to.

We've got one in our place  - older wifie that just gives you that blank bovine stare when you're trying to show her how to do something. Her boss is at his wits' end with her with and I reckon only her imminent retirement is what's preventing him throwing the book at her. I might have mentioned her on here before...she's the one that is part time and refuses to answer emails that happen to arrive in her inbox on one of her non-working days.

When we got laptops delivered to our homes a week or so into lockdown predictably it took her a further ten days to work out how to switch the thing on.

23 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

During my apprenticeship I was walking around looking for my hammer and eventually found it in my hand. 

I smoked too much hash back then. 

I quickly mastered the art of walking purposefully with a spanner from one hidey hole to another on night shift so people would think I was busy.

9 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

What so someone emails her on monday and she works tuesday and logs into her emails and just... ignores anything that arrived in her inbox before 9am that day?

Exactly. I know her boss has tried to have it out with her many times...

"What have you done with X?"

"Oh, that came in on a Friday"

"You still need to answer it"

"But I don't work Fridays..."

And so on.

5 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Exactly. I know her boss has tried to have it out with her many times...

"What have you done with X?"

"Oh, that came in on a Friday"

"You still need to answer it"

"But I don't work Fridays..."

And so on.

You have to admire that. Blatantly refusing to do your job and not getting fired is a phenomenal skill.