Work colleagues

On 06/06/2020 at 22:58, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'm not even on minimum fucking wage at the moment, as nobody's noticed that the recent minimum wage rise has now exceeded my pay, and I pay out £50-£100 a month in expenses that the charity refuse to cover, but I do it anyway because they'd be losing out on far more coming in if I didn't.

Sorry, this is all quite unseemly and might come off as braggadocio (or stupidity), but I don't get the opportunity to bitch about this stuff often  :angry:

On 07/06/2020 at 01:07, Honest_Man#1 said:

This is batshit mental.  

Either you absolutely love your work, or you’re a headcase.

Edited by NotThePars

On 06/06/2020 at 22:58, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The annoying thing is that you get numpties collaring you for fleecing the charity dry; some angry p***k accused me of earning £40,000-£50,000 earlier this year. I'm not even on minimum fucking wage at the moment, as nobody's noticed that the recent minimum wage rise has now exceeded my pay, and I pay out £50-£100 a month in expenses that the charity refuse to cover, but I do it anyway because they'd be losing out on far more coming in if I didn't.

Sorry, this is all quite unseemly and might come off as braggadocio (or stupidity), but I don't get the opportunity to bitch about this stuff often  :angry:

I worked for a charity fairly recently and found out they'd been stiffing the lower ranks for 3 days holiday pay p.a. for years. Forced them to sort it out which made me popular with my colleagues but unsurprisingly they decided not to renew my contract.

46 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Everyone in my factory was forced to take two weeks holiday at the start of lockdown

That genuinely blows my mind. What exactly was the other option if they refused? 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Resign. Which nobody is going to do when half the population is being put out of work.

:lol:

Your company told you that you had to take two weeks of your holiday entitlement or quit your job? 

I'd have liked to have seen that play out in court. 

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

:lol:

Your company told you that you had to take two weeks of your holiday entitlement or quit your job? 

I'd have liked to have seen that play out in court. 

They never told us to resign but they are well within their rights to tell us to take holidays, they don't have to provide any alternative solution and if you don't like it your only option is to leave.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

They never told us to resign but they are well within their rights to tell us to take holidays, they don't have to provide any alternative solution and if you don't like it your only option is to leave.

They would generally have to give you 4 weeks' notice ahead of the first day that they wanted you to take, for a 2-week "imposed" holiday.

3 minutes ago, sugna said:

They would generally have to give you 4 weeks' notice ahead of the first day that they wanted you to take, for a 2-week "imposed" holiday.

Agreed, they acknowledged that normally they wouldn't force this at such short notice but circumstances have meant they need to. 

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Need to =/= can

Regardless, I'm not in a position to be walking away from employment nor am I in a position to mount a legal challenge against them, which would likely see an end to my employment anyway.

On 06/06/2020 at 20:25, mishtergrolsch said:

The manager has stated that we will be on a rotational furlough meaning I will be off again after another month but I have no idea if this is something they can do? I was under the impression you can only be furloughed once. Anyone got any idea if that's the case or not?

This is the case for me. I believe the guidance has been changed. I've been furloughed for 12 weeks now but going back to work on Friday to give some staff a well due break. Those who have been working throughout are now being put onto the furlough scheme within the next week(s), otherwise they won't be eligible at all.

I'm not sure how it works with rotational furlough, I was told that they weren't allowed to do that at the beginning but it seems that the situation has changed in the last fortnight and that's the plan with me. Work some weeks, off others.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Regardless, I'm not in a position to be walking away from employment nor am I in a position to mount a legal challenge against them, which would likely see an end to my employment anyway.

That's fair enough.

However you should remember it.

Edited by Todd_is_God

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I worked for a charity fairly recently and found out they'd been stiffing the lower ranks for 3 days holiday pay p.a. for years. Forced them to sort it out which made me popular with my colleagues but unsurprisingly they decided not to renew my contract.

Most folk seem to be pretty ignorant of their entitlements at work, and I include myself in that. There's the general assumption that your employer will do the right thing but most, either through rapaciousness or laziness, absolutely won't.

We had the situation recently where an entire department of managers were tipped off that they were earning less than their subordinates. It took six months before the situation was sorted out, and only then because half the department started applying to be demoted, and it began to get embarrassing.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A lot of folk don't seem to realise that millions of people are in the situation where walking away from a job with a reference of "<x> worked for us for <time> and was punctual" isn't feasible. That's corporate code for "do not hire", is the minimum an employer has to say about you, and the reason why so many businesses insist on a reference from your last employer instead of people that you may have worked with for years prior.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That's fair enough.

However you should remember it.

Absolutely. I've realised through all of this that I really don't care enough about my job. I studied to gain my apprenticeship and I've worked here for 14 years and put myself in a good position but if someone offered me a job in a cafe tomorrow I'd probably take it. Not saying that working in a cafe doesn't come with it's own stresses but I think I'd be in a much happier place even with a fairly substantial wage decrease. When this is over I'll be seriously considering just about any other line of work that gets me out of an office.

Guy I know is a safety auditor on offshore rigs and something similar happened. He went on done his job, pointed out the place was a death trap so they sacked him and hired a yes man, he was taking them to court but I'm not sure what the outcome was.

Guy I know is a safety auditor on offshore rigs and something similar happened. He went on done his job, pointed out the place was a death trap so they sacked him and hired a yes man, he was taking them to court but I'm not sure what the outcome was.
Rife in oil and gas. Speaking out, especially if you are a contractor will simply result in your services no longer being required.

The disgraceful practice of NRB in all but name.

What the oil companies say they expect of you, and what they actually expect of you are at polar opposite ends of the scale and it genuinely is luck that a similar incident to Piper hasnt happened again.

While being furloughed also received a letter regarding annual leave;

"....... is exercising it's right to require employees to take annual leave at a time it decides. subject to the appropriate statutory notice. This notice period is twice the length of the annual leave being imposed.  As such, we will require you to take a minimum of 75% of your annual leave entitlement by 31st August and during this holiday period you will receive your full contractual pay."

Probably does not affect many people as the majority take their annual leave in the summer anyway.

Rife in oil and gas. Speaking out, especially if you are a contractor will simply result in your services no longer being required.

The disgraceful practice of NRB in all but name.

What the oil companies say they expect of you, and what they actually expect of you are at polar opposite ends of the scale and it genuinely is luck that a similar incident to Piper hasnt happened again.
Pretty much mirrors what the guy I know says, they just want box ticking yes men.

Baffled that folk cant understand why their employer might want them to take some AL at the moment. There are going to be hundreds of requests for everyone to be off all at the same time when this blows over. Totally selfish and inconsiderate for folk to demand they get to take their leave when they want and at no other time. Normally, obviously, that would be totally reasonable - but theres a fucking pandemic on if you haven't noticed. Just how exactly should an employer who is thinking about everyone and not just you personally deal with that? 

Reading this thread sometimes it wouldn't fucking matter what your employer said or did, some of you would still be raging at them. As I say, baffling.