Work colleagues

On the case [emoji4]  tbf I agree with your position. Keep telling them to f**k off, and hope they don’t figure out their ability to force you.   Chances are if it’s only a few of you pushing back they’ll let you pick your time off..

I’m not being a p***k like, if there is legislation saying they can force us then fair enough but I’ve not seen it and if there isn’t I’ll be a lot more confident with the position I’m taking.

FWIW - my work 100% cannot tell us when to take our leave. Come about August they get shake and start trying to dictate when we can and throw threats "if not by here then you will lose it" but if you're not a total shitehouse, they agree to whatever you want. As long as it is within the allocated year. 

Ours is at our line managers discretion (whether you can carry or not), our old director used to just say nut - unless there was valid business reason - and that attitude has carried on.

10 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I’m not being a p***k like, if there is legislation saying they can force us then fair enough but I’ve not seen it and if there isn’t I’ll be a lot more confident with the position I’m taking.

I definitely don’t think you are being a p***k.  I’ve barely used any of my holidays for the year and will be pretty raging if I end up being forced to spend them in the house.

as it is https://www.gov.uk/guidance/holiday-entitlement-and-pay-during-coronavirus-covid-19#holiday-entitlement

719DF1B9-5242-4B97-B331-5AFFFA6838C7.png

you are relying on good worker/employer relationship than the law unfortunately.

Edited by parsforlife

I’ve not read it in a while but I believe the page that’s taken from also has a second for employers.  They absolutely can tell you when to take leave, but there’s regulations on how much( depends on how far your into your holiday year), how long for and how much notice they give.   I believe the notice is twice as long as the time off. So they can say in your taking 2 weeks off next month.

What happened with me, and everyone else, was that we were at work then sent away then told we were losing five days then furloughed for a period.

So we were at home already then after the five days they decided to furlough took the days off as a holiday.

As I said cant really complain as we got 10 weeks off paid but not really sure about the legality of all of this tbh.

Edit it was from the day after bojo announced lockdown

9 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Missed this. That is definitely illegal(especially if it’s statutory leave) the company is required to make sure you take your statutory leave before the end of year. even if you don’t want to So if there’s 2 weeks of the year left and you have 2 weeks to use they must make you take them off.(as mentioned they should make sure you get ‘reasonable’ notice.

In the charity sector, there's unfortunately a lot of pressure put on staff to play ball. "Well, we can't stop you taking this time off, but the shop/office/care home will have to close and the charity will lose thousands/poor Billy will just have to spend the week inside, but if you're comfortable with that..."

Usually relayed by somebody who could easily choose to pay somebody to cover, and who hides their Beemer round the back of the building so it won't be seen by the public outside head office. I know well enough to tell somebody to take a hard fucking to themselves, but a lot of people are more invested in what the charity does, and will just soldier on. Leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

What happened with me, and everyone else, was that we were at work then sent away then told we were losing five days then furloughed for a period.

So we were at home already then after the five days they decided to furlough took the days off as a holiday.

As I said cant really complain as we got 10 weeks off paid but not really sure about the legality of all of this tbh.

It gets said here a lot, but your employers are shitehouse opportunists and you ought to be leaving a jobby in every drawer when you leave.

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

From what you’ve said previously I suspect they’ll have found a way to cover their tracks. But that certainly looks to me to be in breach of your rights,

5 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

In the charity sector, there's unfortunately a lot of pressure put on staff to play ball. "Well, we can't stop you taking this time off, but the shop/office/care home will have to close and the charity will lose thousands/poor Billy will just have to spend the week inside, but if you're comfortable with that..."

Usually relayed by somebody who could easily choose to pay somebody to cover, and who hides their Beemer round the back of the building so it won't be seen by the public outside head office. I know well enough to tell somebody to take a hard fucking to themselves, but a lot of people are more invested in what the charity does, and will just soldier on. Leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

Sounds horrendous. I’ve heard anecdotally about charity bosses working the system for themselves, it’s unfortunately it unsurprising they  extend this to work against workers

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Sounds horrendous. I’ve heard anecdotally about charity bosses working the system for themselves, it’s unfortunately it unsurprising they  extend this to work against workers

The annoying thing is that you get numpties collaring you for fleecing the charity dry; some angry p***k accused me of earning £40,000-£50,000 earlier this year. I'm not even on minimum fucking wage at the moment, as nobody's noticed that the recent minimum wage rise has now exceeded my pay, and I pay out £50-£100 a month in expenses that the charity refuse to cover, but I do it anyway because they'd be losing out on far more coming in if I didn't.

Sorry, this is all quite unseemly and might come off as braggadocio (or stupidity), but I don't get the opportunity to bitch about this stuff often  :angry:

5 hours ago, NJ2 said:

I understand why as well, I’m still not taking time off when I can do f**k all though. I’ve lost holidays probably every year I’ve worked for them so I’m not really worried about that prospect.

This is batshit mental. You’d rather work and lose the holidays than take the leave to sit at home? 

Either you absolutely love your work, or you’re a headcase.

4 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Any time the subject of unions comes up, there's always a load of younger posters claiming that unions are shite and unnecessary in the modern age.

tenor.gif?itemid=13250290

Didn't the old girl do well?

Complaining that they aren't getting their money's worth like good little consumers without actually participating, usually. 

12 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The government have said employers should allow people to carry over ten days into next year's leave entitlement. Unless it is different in Scotland, but I'd be surprised if the SNP were more anti-employee than the Tories.

It's perfectly reasonable that people might want to wait until they can do something they really enjoy to take their holidays.

My understanding of that is that certainly in cases where it's not been possible to take leave (eg furlough, work closed, blanket ban and constant denied requests) then absolutely there will be allowances made to carry forward leave so folk have the opportunity to access their statutory leave.

If however there have been no restrictions on ability to take leave (primarily in workplaces that have been open throughout the pandemic I presume) and it's just a case of folk not wanting to be off because there's nothing to do and nowhere to go, then unused leave entitlement would be lost at the end of that leave year as it would in any other year if a conscious choice was made to work instead of utilising leave allocation.

All a bit of a minefield really because we've not been in this situation before.

My boss has outed himself as a closet racist the past couple of days, with several comments regarding the protests ongoing in the US and Britain.

We have a Teams call every day to catch up as a team and chat about work and anything else. It’s usually a good laugh, we all get on and are friends as well as colleagues. However it got tense last week when two members of staff had a barney about the George Floyd death, with one guy saying “well we don’t know what happened before the filming started” which caused another one of our team to go on a big rant about it for about teN minutes. was all OK in the end but a bit tense

Good opportunity to get folk sacked if they're attacking protected characteristics, specially if you've got video proof.

The two guys are good mates, he wasn’t attacking protected characteristics and there’s no way anyone will be making a complaint or anything like that.

47 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Good opportunity to get folk sacked if they're attacking protected characteristics, specially if you've got video proof.

Bit harsh. Let’s get the facts out first.

Dont think our work are letting folk carry over holidays but the way the summer is panning out work wise, arranging everybody to get their time off (regardless of lockdown restrictions) will be a shitemare.

On 06/06/2020 at 20:11, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Haven't heard from work in a while, so I guess I'm finally back in on Monday. After having my return put back a couple of times, I was fully expecting another call, but I'm going to guess that everyone's forgotten. My boss is a combination of desperate and stupidly optimistic, so you never know.

I know there's nowhere for me to work and no work to be getting on with, so I'm guessing I'll be sitting in a windowless room on my tod until somebody realises they're back to paying my wages.

I was right. On my tod for a couple of hours before someone remembered I was in and sent me home. "Maybe next week. Or the week after."

Unless I get it in writing, I'm assuming I'm off 'til the end of July, and probably longer.

On 06/06/2020 at 16:17, Mr. Alli said:

I take it you mean pre-booked to tie in with furlough? Your employer cannot force you to take a holiday. 

Everyone in my factory was forced to take two weeks holiday at the start of lockdown, I was lucky enough that some work kicked off just as that happened and I was working for all but 3 of those days, but others have basically a week's holiday left at the moment. The worst thing about that was the company said they wanted us to take holidays so we got full pay, but they could easily have furloughed us and paid us the extra 20% anyway. It was a calculated move to use peoples holidays up so that when things return to normal we're here to churn out the work.

Don't know about other employers but mine also "allocate" some holidays for you before giving you the rest of your entitlement to use. For example, my company takes the decision to close at Christmas for two weeks and they take a few days of your holiday entitlement off for this (days which are not national holidays). I've questioned them on it before and asked if I could come in during that time and use my holidays another time but I was told no. To me if they're shutting the factory, I shouldn't be using my holidays. They do the same with some other holidays too like the September weekend, but most of the time they do allow you to work those if you want to.