Work colleagues

As a tax payer (not really) I resent paying furlough wages to people whose employers force them on holidays they don't want so they don't have to pay later on. It's seriously taking the pish.

Haven't heard from work in a while, so I guess I'm finally back in on Monday. After having my return put back a couple of times, I was fully expecting another call, but I'm going to guess that everyone's forgotten. My boss is a combination of desperate and stupidly optimistic, so you never know.

I know there's nowhere for me to work and no work to be getting on with, so I'm guessing I'll be sitting in a windowless room on my tod until somebody realises they're back to paying my wages.

28 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

You must recognise from history that they are a net benefit to workers collectively.

Not in my experience, no. 

Before my time? Most likely. Now they're just a racket that claim for the people but can't be bothered actually working. 

Me and another colleague are back in after a month of furlough. Only going in two mornings a week as instructed by the section manager to do the absolute minimum required to keep the place ticking over (although if we want to do more then that's up to us and hes fine with whatever we want to do, hes very vague and, well, has no idea or care for what we actually do). The other three guys on the team will then furloughed as of Monday.

The manager has stated that we will be on a rotational furlough meaning I will be off again after another month but I have no idea if this is something they can do? I was under the impression you can only be furloughed once. Anyone got any idea if that's the case or not?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Not in my experience, no. 

Before my time? Most likely. Now they're just a racket that claim for the people but can't be bothered actually working. 

100% agree.

I've been fighting a particular contract issue with my work for nearly 3 years and I've basically done it all and the union have done next to bugger all other than been copied into the emails I send.

The latest is apparently our HR department cant have a meeting with me virtually over Zoom or whatever, because Covid 19. Even though I've had a meeting with my boss last week.

My work are also advertising a job as of two weeks ago in another department. I've queried how they'll do the interview because they cant do it over the phone or over Zoom etc. Im awaiting the reply from the union and HR.

I find HR and the Unions to be as useless as each other.

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

What union?

It sucks and theres little we can do about it. Did get paid 100% for being furloughed though but still seems odd.

You still looking to leave?

Just now, MixuFruit said:

Why haven't they had stewards asking these questions on your behalf? What did you say to them if they didn't?

I've basically stopped asking them as I cant be bothered with them now. I'll go through the channels myself and if I need to I'll go to citizens advice as they've been more of a help.

I've gotten further in the last while doing this than waiting for someone else to send an email for me.

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Why not escalate above your branch? They should be proactively helping you if you approached them and maybe if they get a telt off their area representative they'll pull their finger out.

Could do. I've had some progress doing it myself but if it stalls I may well do that.

Any time the subject of unions comes up, there's always a load of younger posters claiming that unions are shite and unnecessary in the modern age.

tenor.gif?itemid=13250290

Didn't the old girl do well?

Can you show me the legislation stating this please? Not only because I don’t think it’s true but my employers are encouraging we take at least a third of our holidays before end of July. They can f**k off, they’re my holidays, I’ll decide when I take them and it’s un-fuckin-likely I’ll be taking them when I can’t do anything.

Straight from gov.uk holiday entitlement website.Screenshot_20200606-212231_Chrome.thumb.jpeg.1b018dc31a2e64a0e5a74e9fbce342d0.jpeg

10 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Any time the subject of unions comes up, there's always a load of younger posters claiming that unions are shite and unnecessary in the modern age.

I can only comment on my own experience. 

They've only served to slowed my case down due to either non interest, idleness or incompetence.

Before this job I was self employed and handled everything myself and had no union to help me out. I intend to operate this way as I'm not relying on anyone else.

How does that work with employees who have their leave put off and put off until there isn't enough time left in the financial year for the leave to be taken, sorry no we don't carry leave over to the next financial year? I know a few folk who've been caught with that in the last few years. Actually, I think most of the folk I work with have complained about losing annual leave/hours in lieu at one time or another due to nobody being available to cover for them.

3 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I can only comment on my own experience. 

They've only served to slowed my case down due to either non interest, idleness or incompetence.

Before this job I was self employed and handled everything myself and had no union to help me out. I intend to operate this way as I'm not relying on anyone else.

Aye, they certainly aren't the force they once were.

Maybe some of the older posters can educate us about what happened there.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

It would be funny to see them squirm and ask for a written explanation of why we were forced to take holidays due to a global pandemic though.

I doubt there will be that much squirming needed. I’m not sure about your workplace but most(and certainly where I’ve worked) have general policy on when you should take leave.  We are meant to take 5 days before April, 10 between April and August and 5 after with the rest personal choice. It’s rarely enforced but a little more strictly this year. Any company being more strict recently can just claim their tightening up policy. 

22 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I definitely don’t think unions are unnecessary. But in part due to that women they are a lot less effective. HR have also put abit more work in(tho short of the mark) to protect workers with suing culture kicking in more. 

11 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Thanks. So they can deny my leave (unlikely) but they can’t dictate when I have to take it, if I’m reading that right?

I’ve not read it in a while but I believe the page that’s taken from also has a second for employers.  They absolutely can tell you when to take leave, but there’s regulations on how much( depends on how far your into your holiday year), how long for and how much notice they give.   I believe the notice is twice as long as the time off. So they can say in your taking 2 weeks off next month.

I’ve not read it in a while but I believe the page that’s taken from also has a second for employers.  They absolutely can tell you when to take leave, but there’s regulations on how much( depends on how far your into your holiday year), how long for and how much notice they give.   I believe the notice is twice as long as the time off. So they can say in your taking 2 weeks off next month.

Okay, I don’t ever remember seeing that and nobody has been able to show me it. Unless I see this regulation and they actually dictate it strictly I’ll continue with am I f**k.

FWIW - my work 100% cannot tell us when to take our leave. Come about August they get shake and start trying to dictate when we can and throw threats "if not by here then you will lose it" but if you're not a total shitehouse, they agree to whatever you want. As long as it is within the allocated year. 

18 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

How does that work with employees who have their leave put off and put off until there isn't enough time left in the financial year for the leave to be taken, sorry no we don't carry leave over to the next financial year? I know a few folk who've been caught with that in the last few years. Actually, I think most of the folk I work with have complained about losing annual leave/hours in lieu at one time or another due to nobody being available to cover for them.

Missed this. That is definitely illegal(especially if it’s statutory leave) the company is required to make sure you take your statutory leave before the end of year. even if you don’t want to So if there’s 2 weeks of the year left and you have 2 weeks to use they must make you take them off.(as mentioned they should make sure you get ‘reasonable’ notice.

2 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Okay, I don’t ever remember seeing that and nobody has been able to show me it. Unless I see this regulation and they actually dictate it strictly I’ll continue with am I f**k.

On the case :)  tbf I agree with your position. Keep telling them to f**k off, and hope they don’t figure out their ability to force you.   Chances are if it’s only a few of you pushing back they’ll let you pick your time off..