Work colleagues

On 01/03/2020 at 09:23, DiegoDiego said:

Unfortunately higher physics was a long time ago for me, so I'll let someone else do the calculations for fear of embarrassing myself.

Generally, I put about a finger of cold at the bottom of a cup of black and two fingers at the bottom of green. Then add the boiling water, then the tea. For puer I do about the same as black; white and yellow the same as green and oolong kinda depends on the individual tea.

I just throw a tea bag in a cup/mug then drown it with boiling water straight from the kettle, philistine that I am.

Do none of you people possess a teapot? How do you make individual cups of tea using loose-leaf tea? I have been a union rep on several occasions but this was in the voluntary sector where management were, on the whole, better people than we minions so tensions and confrontations were rarely an isssue. I also was an enthusiastic smoker and I and my fellow reprobates would retreat to the fire escape to indulge. On one occasion, on re-entering the workplace trailing clouds of Benson & Hedges glory, one colleague complained about the stench of tobacco smoke. My brilliantly witty reply that I thought any smell would be masked by the odour of sanctity was met with blank incomprehension, so no brownie points for badinage.

In the last two days we have have this tea chat and also how bad the weather is. Two of his favourites.... I miss the fife c**t

I like to think he’s sat at work, shoes aff, getting annoyed just reading.

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I just throw a tea bag in a cup/mug then drown it with boiling water straight from the kettle, philistine that I am.

That's the  best way.

I have aquired the taste of black tea. Nae milk. Not even any sugar. That's just for quickness and because I am lazy

2 hours ago, NJ2 said:

DA Baracus would have had a word or two for all you tea drinkers! emoji17.png

Don't be silly.  He has them all on ignore.

Expect a rant though.

"Why do people keep replying to all these tea drinkers.  Stop it now!!"

Don't be silly.  He has them all on ignore.
Expect a rant though.
"Why do people keep replying to all these tea drinkers.  Stop it now!!"

A forum experience can be greatly improved by utilising the ignore function

54 minutes ago, coprolite said:

On the Union point, we had a few attemped free riders who didn't join until they were already in need of representation. We'd let them join but not assist with pre-membership issues. Dregs. 

What used to piss me off was people who refused to join the union on a point of principle, which apparently wasn't strong enough for them to turn down the pay rise that the union had negotiated.

4 minutes ago, GordonD said:

What used to piss me off was people who refused to join the union on a point of principle, which apparently wasn't strong enough for them to turn down the pay rise that the union had negotiated.

Or sick pay, holidays etc. 

Yep. And it's another one for Ronaldo to remember.... When some self serving anti Union w**k comes looking for info or to inflict their opinion on how negotiations should proceed, politely direct them to the Union website and then return to you with their membership number. Until then, such information is for members only.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
56 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Yep. And it's another one for Ronaldo to remember.... When some self serving anti Union w**k comes looking for info or to inflict their opinion on how negotiations should proceed, politely direct them to the Union website and then return to you with their membership number. Until then, such information is for members only.

When they brought in the "Drivers for Change" (think that's what it was called) in the NHS to ensure all job roles were put into the correct pay band my old job remained where it was. That happened before I go there but when I joined the NHS I joined the union. A few months down the line we had someone from another hospital doing a very similar job to us  come and cover someone who was ill and found out they were two bands above us. So I went to the union, telt them the game, they backed us up and I got the rest of my team to join the union so we would all be in it together and the union would represent us all going forward. We got bumped up one pay band (shoulda been two but, f**k it, small victories).

Queue a coupla months down the line and I've been promoted and the team reckon they can ask for that second jump up in pay. I explained I couldn't really do much about as I was evil management now but not evil management enough to deal with their wages and to go back to the union and they'd take it up again with the folk above me. Only for all of them to say they'd left the union after getting the wage rise. Idiots

When they brought in the "Drivers for Change" (think that's what it was called) in the NHS to ensure all job roles were put into the correct pay band my old job remained where it was. That happened before I go there but when I joined the NHS I joined the union. A few months down the line we had someone from another hospital doing a very similar job to us  come and cover someone who was ill and found out they were two bands above us. So I went to the union, telt them the game, they backed us up and I got the rest of my team to join the union so we would all be in it together and the union would represent us all going forward. We got bumped up one pay band (shoulda been two but, f**k it, small victories).

Queue a coupla months down the line and I've been promoted and the team reckon they can ask for that second jump up in pay. I explained I couldn't really do much about as I was evil management now but not evil management enough to deal with their wages and to go back to the union and they'd take it up again with the folk above me. Only for all of them to say they'd left the union after getting the wage rise. Idiots
Yep. That's the sort of logic you are often up against. I had to talk a mate down from leaving the union because he had a football hooligan past and Unite were marching against that "Footy lads alliance" mob.

I had to explain to him that his union is sat in the same workshop as him, trying to increase the same pay packet as him, and to forget what Unite head office is up to.

Leave the politics side of it to those that are interested. At local level it's all about the best deal for the workers, and you only get that deal with high membership.

In the same way as the media, a lot of workers in this country have the conditions they deserve .

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

The last time I worked somewhere with a union, the pay deals they negotiated were fucking awful.

I would have quite happily turned down what they got and negotiated my own, but it wasnt an option.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

"Agenda for Change"