Work colleagues

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
24 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:
Those taps are shit as well. They are constantly heating the water in the tank and they don't actually boil so your tea tastes funny.

The superior option is to bring in a flask.

The superior option is fill the kettle right up to the makers mark and stand there, away from ones workface for as long as possible whilst it boils.

^^^ Kens.

18 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Tea shouldn't be brewed with boiling water. Around 80 degrees for black, 65 for green.

Not according to George Orwell:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nice_Cup_of_Tea

Also, those of you familiar with the exciting world of ISO standards might be interested to know that during a presumably quiet week in the office, they decided to create an ISO standard for making a cup of tea. 

https://www.neatorama.com/trivia/2012/09/09/ISO-3103-The-Standardized-Method-For-Brewing-Tea/

On 24/02/2020 at 18:12, G_Man1985 said:

People who smoke who take extra breaks...

In 1987 I changed jobs.

1. Job I moved from, smoking was fairly common at your desk, and just generally throughout the building. Like racism and homophobia, it was the olden days, before it was bad. Drawing office clerk was generally puffing away throughout the day. While he was on holiday, an enormous fat slob of a draughtsman was working for us on contract, and he took over the clerk duties for a week. Part of his slobbiness was a particularly slurpy, sloughing smoking: both noisy and stinking. Our master drawings were transparencies, suspended from pegs in a cabinet. It was a rite of passage for new graduate engineers to dump all of the masters on the floor due to not being familiar with the cabinet's operation, giving the (usual) clerk an opportunity for explaining the contrast between himself and the unfortunate youngster: "You've got the education, but nae brains!" He would then make a show of explaining how the masters had to be reinstalled, then making the engineer do that, then standing over the engineer, instructing him in minute detail as he extracted the actual master he had originally wanted.

When slobby guy was in charge of the cabinet, about 2 inches of vertically-hanging masters suddenly sustained a brown burn right through them. Probably upwards of 100 drawings. Obviously a single lancing with a hand-held fag. He was completely unrepentant and wouldn't admit it was him: "Could have been anyone! Could have happened at any time, before I started here!" But we knew it had happened that week, and the only remaining smoker in the area smoked a pipe (while working at a drawing board - which also seems incredible now).

2. Job I moved to had smoking permitted in most places; but despite that, smokers would take regimented smoke breaks, either at their desks or anywhere that they felt like it, and no one seemed to think that there was anything wrong with that. It was the entitlement that baffled me at the time, as it still does in retrospect.

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

There are a couple of guys in this forum who have spoken about being union reps in the past. Have just volunteered to start doing this at my work - been meaning to get involved with my TU for years in previous jobs so thought I'd finally grasp the nettle. Any tips or advice about that side of things from anyone? I think my work is in general a fairly ok place to work - certainly in my area which is very desk-based and administrative, but a bit apprehensive about what to do if any problems crop up and I have to start representing members etc.

I watched The Irishman a couple of weeks ago so I was taking notes and will make sure to foster links to organised crime as soon as possible, but if anyone has any actual advice I'd be all ears?@WhiteRoseKillie@bairnardo

Leave it with me brother. When I have more time I will fill you in. 

I noticed that a chap in a different department has started wearing a fluorescent armband almost identical to the one posted below. 

s-l1600.jpg

I have no idea whether or not he's a good union rep but he looks like an absolute fanny.

Edited by Louis Litt

On 28/02/2020 at 20:08, DiegoDiego said:
On 28/02/2020 at 19:19, hk blues said:
My kettle doesn't have  a thermometer so I'm fucked then

Chuck some cold water in the bottom of the cup before the boiling stuff then

How much should I chuck for black tea compared to green tea?  

Unfortunately higher physics was a long time ago for me, so I'll let someone else do the calculations for fear of embarrassing myself.

Generally, I put about a finger of cold at the bottom of a cup of black and two fingers at the bottom of green. Then add the boiling water, then the tea. For puer I do about the same as black; white and yellow the same as green and oolong kinda depends on the individual tea.

There are a couple of guys in this forum who have spoken about being union reps in the past. Have just volunteered to start doing this at my work - been meaning to get involved with my TU for years in previous jobs so thought I'd finally grasp the nettle. Any tips or advice about that side of things from anyone? I think my work is in general a fairly ok place to work - certainly in my area which is very desk-based and administrative, but a bit apprehensive about what to do if any problems crop up and I have to start representing members etc.

I watched The Irishman a couple of weeks ago so I was taking notes and will make sure to foster links to organised crime as soon as possible, but if anyone has any actual advice I'd be all ears?[mention=37891]WhiteRoseKillie[/mention][mention=68117]bairnardo[/mention]
Absolutely go for it, and take advantage of whatever courses/education the TUC are offering while they still are - it'll make your job easier, and share management when you know more than they do. Also handy for the CV, said the old fella about to branch out into H&S consultancy work...

A word of warning - your biggest problem can often be your members. You can never choose who comes knocking for help, but the number of times I've had members get themselves in the shite and expect us to wave a magic wand..

Seriously, though it can be one of the most frustrating and rewarding challenges you can undertake - I hope you do well, and don't hesitate to ask for help wherever you can.

On 29/02/2020 at 14:57, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I watched The Irishman a couple of weeks ago so I was taking notes and will make sure to foster links to organised crime as soon as possible, but if anyone has any actual advice I'd be all ears?@WhiteRoseKillie@bairnardo

I was a Steward for a while, I was amazed at the amount of times I was approached to assist when the member could have sorted things out for themselves.

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Absolutely go for it, and take advantage of whatever courses/education the TUC are offering while they still are - it'll make your job easier, and share management when you know more than they do. Also handy for the CV, said the old fella about to branch out into H&S consultancy work...

A word of warning - your biggest problem can often be your members. You can never choose who comes knocking for help, but the number of times I've had members get themselves in the shite and expect us to wave a magic wand..

Seriously, though it can be one of the most frustrating and rewarding challenges you can undertake - I hope you do well, and don't hesitate to ask for help wherever you can.

I kept a colleague in employment when clearly the c**t should have been kicked out of the door.

A year later, when I was promoted, the b*****d pulled the same shit but left before I had to take action.