Work colleagues

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Which achieves the objective. I remember trying to cheat in an exam at school by writing down notes up and down both forearms. The act of writing them down meant I remembered them and didn't need to peek.

No really. Knowing that the answer to a multiple choice question is A, B, C or D in advance isn't achieving a learning objective. It's knowing in advance what the answer is. 

I take your point about writing things down prior to an exam, but that is a form of learning rather than "cheating".

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well, you could expand that to learning in general. 

In my eLearning courses, @KnightswoodBear will be pleased to learn that you can jump straight to the quiz and assessment. However, it's training on software, so unless you knew the software already - you've got hee-haw chance of passing. The assessment involves a software simulation where you actually have to interact with the "software" ... random-clicking will get you through it but it could take hours - it's actually quicker to do the training. We also have quizzes, but I use random questions selected from a pool so that no two people get the same quiz - thus making a cheat sheet all but redundant. 

Can't disagree with the bit in bold though. However, I'd rather spend 10 minutes sitting at my desk doing some shite e-Learning course when I choose, rather than an hour or longer in a classroom learning the same thing. 

Don't fucking tell me what to do.

Yeh adding e in front of things is horrible - come up with a new word or don't change the word. If someone said to me can you mail that over I would presume they would like me to use the internet to deliver not a postie. Online banking is fine as that's exactly what it is although despite the banks shutting all their branches its very rare to find a bank that can deliver online banking it probably should be known as the far more catchy "online for the most common interactions with the bank" 
The worst one for this, by a mile, is e-liquids.

E-cigarette..... Yeah maybe, but e-liquid? Nope.

10 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

E learning courses are good but we get around 200 hours worth a year to do because of compliance.
We dont actually get time to do them or get actual relevant on the job training. Its just jumping through hoops so that if theres an accident the company isn't liable.
Everyone just signs them off and doesnt even read anything.

We're the same. It's quite funny that half the shite you're expected to do in the modern workplace is about giving the appearance of doing something instead of actually doing anything productive. Mark Fisher puts it well here. https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/844582-the-idealized-market-was-supposed-to-deliver-friction-free-exchanges

So sick of work that I've started hoping the bus crashes on the way home.

I think it must be fairly common to wish for a fiery death on the way TO work, but it's a bit worrying that it's a constant desire now.

2 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

So sick of work that I've started hoping the bus crashes on the way home.

I think it must be fairly common to wish for a fiery death on the way TO work, but it's a bit worrying that it's a constant desire now.

Am I right in saying you said you work for a charity? You would like to think the nature of what they do means that they try to ensure their staff are ok and not subject to the same stresses and bullshit of the money orientated private sector.

2 hours ago, bobbykdy said:

Am I right in saying you said you work for a charity? You would like to think the nature of what they do means that they try to ensure their staff are ok and not subject to the same stresses and bullshit of the money orientated private sector.

I could go off on a rant, but suffice to say, no. That hasn't been my experience at all, nor anyone I know who works in the sector. The main benefit to charity work is that, while you know there are still plenty of snouts in the trough at the top end, at least some of the money goes to a cause that needs it. That's still better than knowing everything you do is for the further enrichment of people who wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

I'm just very tired. Seen some absolutely appalling behaviour towards colleagues from management lately, and I'm struggling just to get enough time to sleep.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

Bit rough on your passengers, isn't it?

:lol:

At least there's always P&B.

My jobs pish, I don't have enough to do and I've got to the point where I can't even be bothered pretending I do. It's a big contrast because it was the polar opposite a year ago when I felt like I couldn't take lunches and had to stay past 5pm every night.
Now I get to go for a walk every lunch hour which is great and I get to go home at 5 and get 30 sets of beady eyes judging me for daring to embrace my free time. 
Keep getting told it'll pickup in the next 3 months but man pretending you are busy 3 and a half days a week is way more draining than I'd ever thought 
No wonder you canny get a GP appointment you lazy c**t

Is it bad that every time I see a blind person with a guide dog I think to myself "I wish I was blind"? Sure, not being able to see would be a bit shite, but I'd probably get put onto some easy as f**k job at my work for similar pay as I'm on now, I'd get a smart as f**k dug and probably loads of fanny coz bitches love dugs.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Is it bad that every time I see a blind person with a guide dog I think to myself "I wish I was blind"? Sure, not being able to see would be a bit shite, but I'd probably get put onto some easy as f**k job at my work for similar pay as I'm on now, I'd get a smart as f**k dug and probably loads of fanny coz bitches love dugs.

Aye, it is bad.

I'd probably be suicidal if I lost my sight. I've often thought being deaf would have some advantages though. Not having to listen to people's shite and getting uninterrupted sleep being two massive plusses.

23 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well, you could expand that to learning in general. 

In my eLearning courses, @KnightswoodBear will be pleased to learn that you can jump straight to the quiz and assessment. However, it's training on software, so unless you knew the software already - you've got hee-haw chance of passing. The assessment involves a software simulation where you actually have to interact with the "software" ... random-clicking will get you through it but it could take hours - it's actually quicker to do the training. We also have quizzes, but I use random questions selected from a pool so that no two people get the same quiz - thus making a cheat sheet all but redundant. 

Can't disagree with the bit in bold though. However, I'd rather spend 10 minutes sitting at my desk doing some shite e-Learning course when I choose, rather than an hour or longer in a classroom learning the same thing. 

Absolutely. I've been sent on training courses on a week's residential in the most remote part of the home counties of England. They plonk you in a hotel with the most expensive beer known to man where you spend four and a half days doing the most banal things imagineable. One time I asked if we could look at some products in order to gain some knowledge. The "trainer" who had spent the whole time looking at notes as she was ill prepared, told me that there wasn't enough time. This was five minutes after we had split into teams to build a receptacle out of sellotape and a sheet of A4 to keep an egg intact when thrown off a fire escape.

E-learning every time please.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd probably be suicidal if I lost my sight. I've often thought being deaf would have some advantages though. Not having to listen to people's shite and getting uninterrupted sleep being two massive plusses.

How do they know when it's time to wake up?

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've often wondered if deaf people 'hear' their own thoughts. 

It pickles my head and I try to move on quickly from such thoughts. Like now.