Work colleagues

Anyway - how do you handle it when someone on your team is all smiles and jokes in front of just about everybody but you hear them making incredibly horrible remarks about multiple people behind their back? I don't work with the guy anymore thankfully but it was fucking ridiculous, think he was into double figures for people he'd made personal insults about in hushed tones - nothing that I can specifically mind, but definitely beyond gentle mocking humour and well into vitriolic territory. Guy was about fucking 40 too, so no age excuse.

It wasn't really something I felt able to go to a manager about because I didn't think it would make any difference (if anything he'd just end up pissing and moaning about getting grassed up) and confronting the guy directly would almost certainly have been a case of him going "Oh yeah, I know sometimes I maybe go a bit overboard so I'll try and tone it down, thanks for coming to me haha!" to my face then calling me a c**t behind my back.

Always feel a little bit like "if he's saying this about them, what's he saying about me" with folk like that. I think there's a big gulf between venting work related frustration out and ending up being genuinely cruel about folk.

On a happier note there are people I've worked with that are the polar opposite, too - there was one woman in particular who I never heard saying anything nasty about not just colleagues but even customers behind their back, in fact pretty much anything she did say about folk was sincere words of praise or encouragement. Always a chance they're still thinking horrible thoughts but just not saying it, of course, but it comes down to a matter of courtesy imo. I think someone on this thread mentioned that they had a colleague who would take even simple work related calls then start saying all sorts of shit as soon as the phone was down, fucking hate having to work with folk like that. 

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

21 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Time will tell but this looks like a classic case of someone winning a battle but losing the war.

This might not necessarily end well for Busta.

You can't just deliberately wind up your entire team and expect to get away with it. You also can't be daft enough to put the damn thing in writing and expect no consequences.

If I was the manager of that group it would be getting sorted out on the first day back and at least one person would be polishing their CV.

How is this any different from sending a postcard saying that you're lying on the beach with a cold drink in your hand and hoping that your colleagues are working hard?

Manager in my work playing the martyr today because he was in doing a job because there was no one else available to do it, even though it's his responsibility to hire and train the people for that area and the last person in on a Friday left three weeks ago. What a selfless act.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Absolutely. I never trust folk like that and avoid as much as I can.

In terms of how you deal with folk like that, it needs to be a collective grievance with lots of evidence documented. The folk being bitched about need to make contact with the folk being bitched to and note down dates, places, anyone who can corroborate etc. Once they've got enough stuff they can take it to their line managers. You can make approaches to management first but I'd always begin the evidence gathering cooperatively with everyone anyway, some managers can deal with this effectively, others will sit on it until forced to do something so it's always worth having that evidence to hand.

Serious business.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Manager in my work playing the martyr today because he was in doing a job because there was no one else available to do it, even though it's his responsibility to hire and train the people for that area and the last person in on a Friday left three weeks ago. What a selfless act.

Sorry I might be misunderstanding here, but are you suggesting the manager should’ve hired and trained someone in the 3 weeks since the previous person left?

Or you could tell me what magnificent plan you have to respond to me disabling your entry pass, re-assigning your work, re-purposing your desk, blocking your access to the IT system and telling you that regretfully I have no shifts available for you this week and then keeping you spinning like a dead hamster for weeks on end?
Under those circumstances I would be all ears as to how exactly you would fulfil the quest you were born for and "take people like me down".
Or are you just another ego-fuelled numpty full of hot air, you puffed up balloon?
Dingies

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Or you could tell me what magnificent plan you have to respond to me disabling your entry pass, re-assigning your work, re-purposing your desk, blocking your access to the IT system and telling you that regretfully I have no shifts available for you this week and then keeping you spinning like a dead hamster for weeks on end?

Under those circumstances I would be all ears as to how exactly you would fulfil the quest you were born for and "take people like me down".

Or are you just another ego-fuelled numpty full of hot air, you puffed up balloon?

😂😂😂😂😂

Jesus f**k!

17 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

D6E3D043-908E-4888-A21A-3E00D7AFBB98.gif

And there you have it.
All that nonsense about being born to keep people like me on a leash and how easy I'd be to sort out and at the first hurdle you demonstrate that you don't have a clue how to respond.
When an employer (the person whose name is on the door, not some middle manager at a corporation who has no real power or an HR department scared to act), really wants to get rid of an employee, you can and routinely would be gone overnight.

Imagine having your "name on the door" yet not knowing when you are being ridiculed by multiple people!

Your posts are tragic and hilarious in equal measure. What a fucking rocket [emoji23]

Lassie going off on one might be the saviour of busta when he returns.
Management would not be able to act upon her complaint if she is loudly slagging him off for all the office to hear, that would be work place bullying.
Any threat of a disciplinary gets met with carefully edited screenshots of conversation regarding her bitching loudly to whole office about how he was going to pay for it...

So not only got away with it, has leverage if and thing happens.

Oh and also caused an absolute meltdown of epic proportions from oaksoft and his fantasy company.

Magic

1 minute ago, weirdcal said:

So not only got away with it, has leverage if and thing happens.

He's absolutely going to get away with it. He's also made a rod for his own back and most likely single handedly made sure this scenario will never get a chance to reoccur again though.