Work colleagues

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

As you will have noticed you are not getting a lot of sympathy here although I do recognise your situation.

Here's the thing.

Why do you resent not being part of a gang you don't want to be part of?

Also - I suspect you will be making the same moans and complaints about your job in a year from now (maybe ten years from now).  So why stay?  They are not going to change.  So what is going to fix things?   The best person to change your life is you.  Stop complaining and do something about it.

You are right and the only thing preventing me is fear really. It can get into a cycle or fear, confidence problems and comfort.

I have also realised that there’s generally a disbelief from people online and who I talk to outside work. People don’t like to think or comprehend that this can happen to decent hard working people and that somehow they deserve it. I don’t know why this is but perhaps in a few decades people will look back and wonder why there wasn’t a law that protected people from it much like asbestos or working in unsafe conditions. How is it acceptable to call someone a c*nt 10,000 times at work but if you add a protected class name in front of it then if you do that once it’s illegal?

Thats pretty fucked up.

9 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

You are right and the only thing preventing me is fear really. It can get into a cycle or fear, confidence problems and comfort.

I have also realised that there’s generally a disbelief from people online and who I talk to outside work. People don’t like to think or comprehend that this can happen to decent hard working people and that somehow they deserve it. I don’t know why this is but perhaps in a few decades people will look back and wonder why there wasn’t a law that protected people from it much like asbestos or working in unsafe conditions. How is it acceptable to call someone a c*nt 10,000 times at work but if you add a protected class name in front of it then if you do that once it’s illegal?

Thats pretty fucked up.

Fear?  Fear of having a better life?  Fear of having a job you actually enjoy?

Actually I understand.  I have been self employed for 19 years.  Best decision I ever made.  Did I know it at the time?  Hell, no.  A month before I resigned I had no idea I was about to go.  The people I was working for were driving me crazy.  Every day a different crisis.  I decided if I didn't leave then I would still be talking about it a month later.  The situation was NEVER going to fix it itself.

I was offered a job in Aberdeen but on my way to the interview I thought "hey, I don't want to live in Aberdeen".  So that is when I decided to go self-employed purely as a temporary measure until I knew what to do next.

I was quite excited about the whole thing.  "When I get back to Inverness, I am going to resign next week.  No not next week - tomorrow".

The next day I went to work, resignation letter in hand.  It was the big day!  Actually it wasn't.  The boss wasn't in.  So I tried again the next day.  Actually what happened is I went to work and sat in my office for two hours staring at the letter before I found the courage to hand it to the boss.  

Enormous relief when I did.  

So suddenly I was out.  Overjoyed.  Relieved.

Originally I planned to be self employed for 3 months until I could figure out what to do next.  Then another 3 months.  Then 6 months.  Then I realised it was the job for me.

I walked out of my first job too!

Obviously your circumstances are different but that is my story.   Maybe it will give you ideas of your own.

Edited by Fullerene

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

If they need some else to do a 6 month stint tell them I'll do it for 5% less than the last guy

9 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

And how would you like payment?

£500 pound notes only.

Our Vancouver office has laid on a breakfast buffet to thank us for something or other, the buffet opened 9.30, decided I didn't want to stand in a big line up so I'll hold off for 15 minutes, queue every female that passes my desk "Torpar, go and get some breakfast!"  

ETA - I ended up going three times to the buffet and filling up on bagels and Nanaimo bars, the Vancouver office, a great bunch of lads

Edited by Torpar

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

Our Vancouver office has laid on a breakfast buffet to thank us for something or other, the buffet opened 9.30, decided I didn't want to stand in a big line up so I'll hold off for 15 minutes, queue every female that passes my desk "Torpar, go and get some breakfast!"  

ETA - I ended up going three times to the buffet and filling up on bagels and Nanaimo bars, the Vancouver office, a great bunch of lads

That isn't breakfast.

8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I had a vegetarian fry up for breakfast (in a cafe because they had ran out of proper stuff).

Quite comfortably the worst breakfast I’ve ever had.

Linda McCartney sausages are very decent better than a cheap pork sausage.

Whenever my school does that there’s nothing left 20 minutes before we’re due to eat because the gannets scoff the lot.

5 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Linda McCartney sausages are very decent better than a cheap pork sausage.

Didn't the Daily Mail (or some other comic) print something about Linda McCartney being stuffed full of meat?

8 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

She must've made some amount of them before she croaked. 

I think they use ash as a filler.

8 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Didn't the Daily Mail (or some other comic) print something about Linda McCartney being stuffed full of meat?

Maybe, I'm not vegi so don't care tbh, they taste great.

9 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Quorn >>>>>>> Linda McCartney. 

Wrong