Work colleagues

5 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I was recently promoted to being a manager and whilst I'm definitely not an arsehole (in fact, I'm quite the pushover), I'm also not a very good manager. 

I recently heard about the Peter Principle. Basically, people who are good at their job keep getting promoted until they reach a level where they are no longer competent - and at that point they're stuck there. Hence why there are so many shite managers. 

Including me. 

It used to be the opposite with teachers - promote them until there is very little they can get wrong, and get them as far away from a classroom as possible.

I had one boss who was always unpleasant.  He even accused me of being the cause of everything that was going wrong.  Then I resigned and he was angry about that too.  He was absolutely furious when they had to bring me back in as a contractor working fewer hours for more money.

When I was staff it was awful.  Even Saturday was too close to the following Monday.  Once I was a contractor he continued to be a bully but it was like water off a duck's back. 

Some people have a management style like that and they will never change.

Edited by Fullerene

Guest Moomintroll
Bullying is ripe in supermarkets.
However staff are easily replaceable as need zero qualifications.
Nothing ever gets done , union does f**k all.

G_Man 1985 use the Expolink hotline or whatever you guys have. I had a malicious complaint against me recently, I wasn't bothered as I know I would never be an arsehole to anyone but by God, HR took it seriously. At certain points I thought I might have got suspended as a result of it even though it was obviously baseless. Get them reported, it is genuinely anonymous. I know who reported me & it is baffling but if I uttered a single word to them then I will be sacked for a breach of the GDPR Regulations.

G_Man 1985 use the Expolink hotline or whatever you guys have. I had a malicious complaint against me recently, I wasn't bothered as I know I would never be an arsehole to anyone but by God, HR took it seriously. At certain points I thought I might have got suspended as a result of it even though it was obviously baseless. Get them reported, it is genuinely anonymous. I know who reported me & it is baffling but if I uttered a single word to them then I will be sacked for a breach of the GDPR Regulations.
It's a tough one.
I get on with more or less everyone. But you can see people getting bullied. Was just recently that number was getting promoted.
This let's talk nonsense is good fun.
Being stock control nobody says an awful lot since our hours got cut back which is the way I like it ( 2021 protected pay stops).
But aye it's going down hill pretty rapid sadly

Guest Moomintroll
It's a tough one.
I get on with more or less everyone. But you can see people getting bullied. Was just recently that number was getting promoted.
Being stock control nobody says an awful lot since our hours got cut back which is the way I like it ( 2021 protected pay stops).
That is shite if it has been happening, we have had that number in Booker for years & I talk it up during every induction to new colleagues. If my Supervisors are being wankers behind my back I want to know about it one way or another.

Guest Moomintroll
It's a tough one.
All my mob will be doing the anonymous questionnaire this week. They will stitch me up on purpose probably.

TL;DR - my fictitious mate works for a bunch of roasters too.

Spoiler

According to a mate (who we'll call Tony), poor management tends to be rife within charities. My, erm, mate's boss (Dorgon) got promoted to his current job by being best mates with his bosses' boss (Dujith) - they go on holidays together and are always halfway up each other's arses, and neither have any prior experience in the field. They both actively worked against the previous incumbent of Dorgon's current job until they'd had enough and resigned, and Dorgon could be anointed by Dujith in their place. She'd previously tried to give Dorgon a pay rise, but was blocked as the union would insist that everybody doing the same job would receive it too, so she arranged for him to be given a new job title and new "responsibilities" (i.e. days every week when he could "work from home", despite having a hands-on job that can't be done remotely, and required somebody to cover for his absence). 

Now we're in the situation where Dorgon is fucking useless at the job, and everyone under him is constantly fighting to put out his fires and work out what to do with his contrary instructions, which often break the company's own rules, and occasionally the law too. They're always issued in private, and face to face, so he's not a complete fool. His latest brilliant strategy has been to recruit a useful idiot as his #2, who now has taken over a substantial amount of his workload and issues diktats on his behalf, so he can plausibly deny that the instruction ever came from him. Useful Idiot receives no reward for this, but Dorgon has successfully identified them as being the type who fantasises about having being involved in the Stanford Prison Experiment so they could have flogged everybody to death.

It's an open secret that Dorgon & Dujith are both currently micromanaging a few of their subordinates in order to force them to quit and introduce more of their friends into the organisation, which is apparently a practice that was common before the pair of them even joined. If the target is particularly stubborn, the location will be closed in order to lay off the individual in question, and it'll be re-opened at a future date with the desired new staff members. That's happened three times while Tony's been with them, and he hasn't been there long. One of the current targets has developed a physical handicap, and is being pressured because they can't work as fast as they used to.

That's just the localised problems. The organisation appears to be falling apart from the top down, with constant board resignations and new groups splitting off to do vanity projects that inevitably fail, regular email circulars from the CEO about how "eVeryThinG is FiNe DONT PANIC!", and talk of funding shortfalls while the organisation's accounts show a surplus of many millions of pounds. Everybody at ground level (and apparently at the top too) is actively looking for a new job, but it's almost worth hanging around to see and hear about the regular shitshow that's ongoing. Probably worth getting out before the edifice collapses, though.

I had one boss who was always unpleasant.  He even accused me of being the cause of everything that was going wrong.  Then I resigned and he was angry about that too.  He was absolutely furious when they had to bring me back in as a contractor working fewer hours for more money.
When I was staff it was awful.  Even Saturday was too close to the following Monday.  Once I was a contractor he continued to be a bully but it was like water off a duck's back. 
Its not really managing someone though if you need to resort to threats and intimidation. More like incompetence.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:
4 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Its not really managing someone though if you need to resort to threats and intimidation. More like incompetence.

I’d manage you right out the door ya moaning c**t. 

5 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I recently heard about the Peter Principle. Basically, people who are good at their job keep getting promoted until they reach a level where they are no longer competent - and at that point they're stuck there. Hence why there are so many shite managers. 

Yup, the theory is that nearly ALL businesses will always be inefficient and poorly managed. 

Because sooner or later anyone who goes for promotion will eventually be promoted to a level that is beyond their skillset,  so they then become stuck there (unless the level is SO far beyond them that they get sacked) performing poorly, but not poorly enough to get emptied. So, the employees below them get poorly managed/supported/developed, AND the manager blocks the whole succession plan, so anyone else ambitious enough get fucked off and, well, fucks off elsewhere.

Edited by Boghead ranter

3 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Yup, the theory is that nearly ALL businesses will always be inefficient and poorly managed. 

Because sooner or later anyone who goes for promotion will eventually be promoted to a level that is beyond their skillset,  so they them become stuck there (unless the level is SO far beyond them that they get sacked) performing poorly, but not poorly enough to get emptied. So, the employees below them get poorly managed/supported/developed, AND the manager blocks the whole success in  plan, so anyone else ambitious enough get fucked off and, well, fucks off elsewhere.

Of course it's slightly different in football management. When you appoint a manager, if they're shite you're lumbered with them until you pay them off. And if they're any good, they'll bugger off to a bigger club where they'll inevitably fail. I'm not sure if there is a name for this, but if there isn't, I'd like to call it The Aitken Effect :P

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Of course it's slightly different in football management. When you appoint a manager, if they're shite you're lumbered with them until you pay them off. And if they're any good, they'll bugger off to a bigger club where they'll inevitably fail. I'm not sure if there is a name for this, but if there isn't, I'd like to call it The Aitken Effect :P

You had to go and mention the Tactical Genius, didn't you.?

Here's your punishment.

Aitkenarmy.JPG.9fb5ce2634b998eed14d6aa853663625.JPG

Edited by Boghead ranter

Just now, Bairnardo said:
46 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
You’re no ma boss, I’ll boss your face into a wall ya Falkirk hoor.

If you are going to go down the route of intimidating your way to a better workplace, we are going to have to work on this sort of stuff.

So should I remove that line from my application as the next Falkirk manager then?

I feel I can do better than McKinnon and have a larger vocabulary than John Hughes.

5 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:
9 hours ago, Fullerene said:

As you will have noticed you are not getting a lot of sympathy here although I do recognise your situation.

Here's the thing.

Why do you resent not being part of a gang you don't want to be part of?

Also - I suspect you will be making the same moans and complaints about your job in a year from now (maybe ten years from now).  So why stay?  They are not going to change.  So what is going to fix things?   The best person to change your life is you.  Stop complaining and do something about it.