Work colleagues

22 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Getting paid £9.18/hr at Asda is terrible. Is that even legal?
The garbage wages enough should be a warning that you're at a 2-bob outfit who don't care about the workers.

That's pounds, not dollars. More than you get collecting towels at the Palo Alto bath house. Can't count the tips for extras.

Edited by welshbairn

50 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

What a lot of the moans have came down to, even though you won't hear this part, is people with cushty midweek contracts are now pissed off that they mighy actually have to do some form of weekend work

And so they should be. If they applied for a job knowing it was midweek hours and not weekend hours only for the company to suddenly turn around and say otherwise then why the f**k should people not be furious at that sort of bullshit?

It's possible that they have things such as childcare sorted for their usual midweek hours and now suddenly have to change this. 

Perhaps folk simply do things like go to the football at the weekend and now suddenly can't. It could be anything, the point being folk have organised their life around certain hours and are now being told that those hours are changing.

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

And so they should be. If they applied for a job knowing it was midweek hours and not weekend hours only for the company to suddenly turn around and say otherwise then why the f**k should people not be furious at that sort of bullshit?

It's possible that they have things such as childcare sorted for their usual midweek hours and now suddenly have to change this. 

Perhaps folk simply do things like go to the football at the weekend and now suddenly can't. It could be anything, the point being folk have organised their life around certain hours and are now being told that those hours are changing.

You cant work for a 24/7 all weekend retail company and expect not to be working at their busiest times, if there's not enough work at certain times during the week why should any company still pay people to work that quiet period, other places would have redundancies in that situation

You cant work for a 24/7 all weekend retail company and expect not to be working at their busiest times, if there's not enough work at certain times during the week why should any company still pay people to work that quiet period, other places would have redundancies in that situation
You can sign a contract and expect it to be honoured, given the standard disciplinary actioned metednout when you don't meet your end of said contract.

Of course you can you fuckin idiot. If you’ve signed a contract to work midweek then it should be honoured.

Of course you can you fuckin idiot. If you’ve signed a contract to work midweek then it should be honoured.
Whats needed, but for numerous undersrandable reasons will never happen, is a massive scale constructive dismissal case led by the unions. Thousands of people telling them to ram their new contract and dragging them through the courts. Until that comes, this bullshit tactic will continue to be used.

However, its totally impractical for normal people to do that since most cant go any time at all without a wage.

Whole fucking things rigged unfortunately, with those worst affected inexplicably movong further in the political direction of those who enact the policies that are currently shafting them.

We are largely a nation of ignorant people and there is a rich period of reaping just over the horizon in that regard.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
3 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

You can sign a contract and expect it to be honoured, given the standard disciplinary actioned metednout when you don't meet your end of said contract.

1 hour ago, Dosser-fae-the-shire said:

Not when said contract states that they can change your contract within reason for needs of the business, and thats been in the contracts for years

Guest Moomintroll
Not when said contract states that they can change your contract within reason for needs of the business, and thats been in the contracts for years
I have worked in the Retail Sector for almost 30 years & have been a fairly Senior Manager for 15+ years, what Walmart are doing is in no way reasonable & they are doing this to drive down costs in order to make Asda more attractive to potential buyers as they want out of the UK marketplace. Over the years I have been involved in a lot of consultations over work patterns & I have always sided with employees when the company try to shift the goalposts & they have legitimate reasons, Walmart however are just saying sack them & that is wrong on every level.

I worked an Asda Elgin a number of years back (after it was Fine Fare and Somerfield). The highlights for me were getting a feel of the delicatessen burds arse and tits in the cold room one day and hitting an old wifey on the back with a rotten peach. 

All for £4.23 an hour.

Guest Moomintroll
I worked an Asda Elgin a number of years back (after it was Fine Fare and Somerfield). The highlights for me were getting a feel of the delicatessen burds arse and tits in the cold room one day and hitting an old wifey on the back with a rotten peach. 

All for £4.23 an hour.
Quite the bargain there Mozza, you only had to pay £4.23 an hour to touch her up, I assume she was less than braw then?

17 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

All for £4.23 an hour.

I have tears in my eyes at this beautiful story. 

20 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

All for £4.23 an hour.

Sex pest, who knew!

26 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

All for £4.23 an hour.

So you didn't know whether she was excited or cold...

Edited by Jacksgranda

48 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

How do you know their contract did say that?

I've worked for Asda, Sainsburys, Spar, Dobbies and Iceland and in each of those places had set hours with no mention of them just being able to change them when they wanted.

In busy times they would simply ask folk if they wanted to work extra hours and there never seemed to be any issues with that. Folk were free to decline (I always did) or get some overtime.

I can't believe anyone thinks this shit from Walmart is in any way ok.