One of the senior managers in our place was like that. Don't know if he was already an alkie when he arrived and he was just better at hiding it, but as time went on it became more and more obvious. Eventually he was given medical retirement and not long after that we heard that he'd snuffed it. Thing was, he was a really nice guy throughout.

Leaving collections are fairly common in my work, where £10 or £20 is the going rate! 99% of those are either retiring, or leaving for a better job. Am I f**k parting with a single £1 of my own money for someone I’ve more than likely barely spoken to and will almost certainly never speak to again.

Leaving speeches/emails are just an excuse for people to inflate their own self worth. I also refuse to attend leaving presentations etc.

It’s nothing personal, I just hate work and don’t particularly care for the majority of people I’ve ever worked with.

Edited by MONKMAN

I left a financial institution after almost a year. Got a bottle of whisky, a tie with motorbikes on it, and a box of hot chocolate (all things related to me and shit I do). Was very thoughtful.

i then proceeded to tell them, in my leaving presentation, that the last year had been the worst year of my life and I couldn’t wait to go. No point in lying to them.

14 hours ago, Aufc said:

My old work did leaving speeches for everyone. I said i didnt want any leaving present or speech and sent an email essentially slagging all the partners (timed so it sent just as i walked out the door never to darken their doors again)

Yep, that'll teach them!  

My old work would have a night out for folk leaving and it was tradition for everyone to chose a spirit from behind the bar so the unfortunate person would end up with a huge cocktail of the most rank stuff gathering dust behind the bar. I left a few times.

11 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

source.gif

Was thinking that, does nobody worry about future references or just checks on your CV?

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

My old work would have a night out for folk leaving and it was tradition for everyone to chose a spirit from behind the bar so the unfortunate person would end up with a huge cocktail of the most rank stuff gathering dust behind the bar. I left a few times.

We used to do that at the Garage in Sauchihall St. A pint of spirits and an alcopop. You had to down it. Had mine about 4am after my last shift. Saw 6.30 am, then crashed. The next day was not pleasant.

Was thinking that, does nobody worry about future references or just checks on your CV?

What’s the reference or C.V check going to say about your last day like? Most companies don’t even bother with references and those that do will just confirm your employment dates, maybe even job title, nothing about who you are or your competence.

Yea there’s an element of burning bridges, even if you don’t go back someone you’ve just told was a c**t might end up being a colleague again.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

What’s the reference or C.V check going to say about your last day like? Most companies don’t even bother with references and those that do will just confirm your employment dates, maybe even job title, nothing about who you are or your competence.

Yea there’s an element of burning bridges, even if you don’t go back someone you’ve just told was a c**t might end up being a colleague again.

It won't say anything specifically about the last day, but what happens on the last day could colour everything that happened in the months/weeks/years before.  There's just no point to it and whilst it might make you feel better (for a few short minutes), it sure as hell won't mean anything to whoever you sounded off about.  Whilst It's true that written references aren't worth the paper they are written on,  HR people do sometimes pick up the 'phone and talk "off the record", especially if it's an important job.   

In the same vein as being honest in exit interviews, there's little to gain but potentially a lot to lose by being honest when saying cheerio! 

In the long term a company that denies the truth and tries to harm people will shoot themselves in the foot.
A high turnover of staff should prompt hr or senior management to step in but usually they do the opposite. Bury their heads and blame the people leaving.
An honest truthful exit interview does more good for everyone in the long run. No point lying or being scared they will give you a bad reference. If they talk off record then it shows them up to be untrustworthy and devious. What are they trying to hide? Would you want to work for a company that works in this underhand way?

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

In the long term a company that denies the truth and tries to harm people will shoot themselves in the foot.
A high turnover of staff should prompt hr or senior management to step in but usually they do the opposite. Bury their heads and blame the people leaving.
An honest truthful exit interview does more good for everyone in the long run. No point lying or being scared they will give you a bad reference. If they talk off record then it shows them up to be untrustworthy and devious. What are they trying to hide? Would you want to work for a company that works in this underhand way?

An honest exit interview is an oxymoron.  

As for talking off the record, it doesn't mean they are untrustworthy or devious, rather that the law pretty much makes written references pointless so, it's a way to get a better and clearer idea of a person's actual skills and ability.  What's the problem with that?  

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

I left a financial institution after almost a year. Got a bottle of whisky, a tie with motorbikes on it, and a box of hot chocolate (all things related to me and shit I do). Was very thoughtful.

i then proceeded to tell them, in my leaving presentation, that the last year had been the worst year of my life and I couldn’t wait to go. No point in lying to them.

36 minutes ago, hk blues said:

As for talking off the record, it doesn't mean they are untrustworthy or devious, rather that the law pretty much makes written references pointless so, it's a way to get a better and clearer idea of a person's actual skills and ability.  What's the problem with that?  

I think it's against the law to give informal reference info.

It allows employers to blackball employees unfairly behind their back without a chance of them defending themselves. It's a terrible idea. It also means that the new employer cant select candidates or interview them correctly. It's a lazy shitty way to do things.

Nah, he doesn't give a f***, either.

publicity-still-of-singer-peter-noone-of-hermans-hermits-for-the-mgm-picture-id113176985&key=9e3d6986d8716972c0a870c0a92f3cbac2f2768db7bcce5fcc677d2294d8d0c5

Omg that's so funny, best post on the internet today, can we reward you with a, brands new Mercedes, preferably driven straight at you. c**t.

One of my colleagues left recently, we had a collection for a leaving gift which he seemed to appreciate. In return, he left us a couple of boxes of Krispy Kreme and a "Sorry for your loss" sympathy card.

Very decent guy imo.

3 minutes ago, Crroma said:
18 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Nah, he doesn't give a f***, either.

a steak knife through the eyeball to help?

Preferable to reading your posts tbf

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think it's against the law to give informal reference info.

Perhaps, but I though it depended on how the reference request letter was worded 

12 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

It allows employers to blackball employees unfairly behind their back without a chance of them defending themselves. It's a terrible idea. It also means that the new employer cant select candidates or interview them correctly. It's a lazy shitty way to do things.

You're making an assumption that the employer is dishonest - most are not.  I'd argue that it allows potential employers to select candidates for interview based on a wider range of information than they would otherwise have, again surely that's a good thing?  Also, most employers seek references at the final stage before making an offer rather than pre-interview so it's not necessarily a decision maker, rather part of the overall process.  

You're making an assumption that the employer is dishonest - most are not.  I'd argue that it allows potential employers to select candidates for interview based on a wider range of information than they would otherwise have, again surely that's a good thing?  Also, most employers seek references at the final stage before making an offer rather than pre-interview so it's not necessarily a decision maker, rather part of the overall process.  

Sorry dont agree. Their selection and interview process should do all of this. You phone up HR wtf are they going to know? They are usually in a different building. The boss or manager could have a grudge or be tired. Most HR and senior managers are sneaky horrible two faced people. Why not ask for appraisals just trust the fact that the cv plus the fact they held a job for years and did it well. Suddenly the people doing the appraisals are lying? What's the real agenda?