Work colleagues

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

There's also a special circle of hell reserved for those who think that the person sitting next to a printer has magically become an expert on how to fix them.

Yes indeed (I have been that poor unfortunate) , but the non-fixers of jams are still my extreme hates.  Because when you DO clear the jam to get your job, you have to wait while dozens of queued jobs (which have probably been redone on other printers by now) print out ahead of yours. 

Best thing my old work ever did was introduce printers that sent you a PIN when you hit print, which was unique to your job. When you keyed said PIN into the printer, your job came out, all others stayed queued. Good laugh watching the office incompetents wondering why their job wasn't coming off, while I just swanned over and got mine on demand.

For the last few months I have been horrifically phoning it in at work.
The management’s terrible decisions have killed my spirit for the company and the job.

As nothing has been getting done and I’ve been kidding on I am busy they moved someone across to help me out. This other dude has been doing all my work alongside his own job so they recently hired a contractor to help him.
I now have 2 people doing my job.

On 28/06/2019 at 14:07, D.A.F.C said:

You can spot one a mile away if they promote a fad or talk bs.
Guys we need to scrum down and have a fish bone diagram resolution.

Have you fixed the problem or not?

These people should be made to choke on their bloody fish bones. These and their related techniques are nothing more than the formalisation of common sense. An excuse for a dozen people to get in a room and brainstorm bullshit instead of getting the two or three people who actually understand the problem and have the skillset to solve it.

These people should be made to choke on their bloody fish bones. These and their related techniques are nothing more than the formalisation of common sense. An excuse for a dozen people to get in a room and brainstorm bullshit instead of getting the two or three people who actually understand the problem and have the skillset to solve it.
Exactly. They're either incompetent or at it.
Just fix the problem?!

8 hours ago, Cerberus said:

The management’s terrible decisions have killed my spirit for the company and the job.

Same.  They keep taking on more clients for us to support yet are refusing to employ more staff.  And 2 guys have left recently.  Well one jacked and one is off long term sick.

At the moment, I'm in the process of trying to go back and finished my apprenticeship, which i only have a year left of, so I'm putting all my energy into securing that.  Fuck the place I'm in at the moment.

Guest Moomintroll

Not really Work colleagues as such but I have been off for 3 months due to Mental Health issues. I feel fit & ready to return but they won't let me back in until I have an Occupational Health Assessment, unfortunately there is a massive backlog so I am going to have to wait for 5-6 weeks to get back to work when I am desperate to get back, because I need to for my own sanity & because I know my workmates are struggling at a busy time of the year.

2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Not really Work colleagues as such but I have been off for 3 months due to Mental Health issues. I feel fit & ready to return but they won't let me back in until I have an Occupational Health Assessment, unfortunately there is a massive backlog so I am going to have to wait for 5-6 weeks to get back to work when I am desperate to get back, because I need to for my own sanity & because I know my workmates are struggling at a busy time of the year.

Been there.

All I would say is, without being harsh, if you've been away for 3 months then they've probably adapted and are used to operating without you. They will be absolutely fine. Or if they're not, direct them to this thread so they can complain about you ;)

Most important thing is you being right, and you going back into a stressful situation might not be the best thing anyway?

On 27/06/2019 at 13:27, JamesP_81 said:

This article is pretty spot on. Why anyone would want to move out of a position they are good at and enjoy into management is beyond me. To paraphrase Billy Connolly " anyone who has a great desire to be a manager should forever be banned from ever being one "

I would tend to have agreed with this up until last week. There's been some changes in my department and I think they've been made with an eye on a replacement for my boss. I don't want to get into too much detail but having considered the potential scenario I could be working in, I now fancy the managers job much more than I ever did before. When my boss retires I now fully intend on applying for his job - if I get overlooked for the candidate that has just been brought in (as I suspect I will) then I reckon I'll have to move on to something new.

Yearly appraisal. Despite being given the highest mark possible have been told I lack confidence.

What I'm supposed to do to demonstrate this I have no idea?

I've been training several senior colleagues and doing loads outside my role for years.

The doss c***s I bail out dont give a f**k and literally run out the door after doing half a job did they get confidence issues marked down? Nope.

Really odd and totally pissed me off to the point where I want to leave.

29 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Yearly appraisal. Despite being given the highest mark possible have been told I lack confidence.

I've been training several senior colleagues and doing loads outside my role for years.

The doss c***s I bail out dont give a f**k and literally run out the door after doing half a job did they get confidence issues marked down? Nope.

Thank f**k I don't have to endure any of this shite either being appraised  or doing the appraisal.  I cannot see the point of highlighting people's failings,  no one likes criticism , fair or not,  I don't care what they say..My appraisal of people I've worked with or be in charge of over the years has 3 categories..

1. Good c***s

2. Sound c***s

3. Utter c***s.

We only have one type 3 at the moment and she is about to be binned thank God.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Take a shite on your next appraisal and hand it back to them, ask them if that displays enough confidence for them.

In all seriousness, I've found with appraisals that gaffers will rarely give out top marks for everything, they need to have an area for the employee to look to improve.  "Lacks confidence" when they're happy with every other aspect of your work sounds like they've just thought something up to write in a comments box. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thank f**k I don't have to endure any of this shite either being appraised  or doing the appraisal.  I cannot see the point of highlighting people's failings,  no one likes criticism , fair or not,  I don't care what they say..My appraisal of people I've worked with or be in charge of over the years has 3 categories..
1. Good c***s
2. Sound c***s
3. Utter c***s.
We only have one type 3 at the moment and she is about to be binned thank God.

Totally agree. It's not the first time I've been told polar opposites at appraisals and out of nowhere.
You're really good at x
The reason you didnt get promoted was down to not being good at x
This was within weeks.

Appraisal
Can you do your job
Are you producing more or less than others
What is the quality of your work like
Time off and timekeeping
What have you done outside your role

Does it have to be so complicated?

18 hours ago, Cerberus said:

As nothing has been getting done and I’ve been kidding on I am busy they moved someone across to help me out. This other dude has been doing all my work alongside his own job so they recently hired a contractor to help him.
I now have 2 people doing my job.

They are about to replace you mate.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

In all seriousness, I've found with appraisals that gaffers will rarely give out top marks for everything, they need to have an area for the employee to look to improve.  "Lacks confidence" when they're happy with every other aspect of your work sounds like they've just thought something up to write in a comments box. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's probably even more mundane and depressing than that. I've heard it said, by multiple people, that you need to come up with a criticism purely so that if HR can ever be arsed to look at the paperwork, it won't come across as though you both decided to say "everything's fine" and sign it off. Which is what most of us would do, let's be honest.

My last appraisal criticism was that there's some paperwork I should be doing, and Head Office have complained that they haven't received any of it since I started. My response was that I'd never heard of this paperwork, had no idea where to find the forms I was supposed to be filling out, and would most likely have no idea what to put on them anyway as I hadn't received any of the training needed to do so. Heard nothing about it since then.