Work colleagues

Many companies operate under the fallacy that if somebody is good at a job, they will be good at managing other people who do that job. In most cases, those are two completely different sets of skills and there's no logical reason to think that one would lead to the other. It would be helpful the new manager were given some training in how to be effective in their role but that often isn't the case.

It's a fact that you can't be an effective manager if you're too concerned with being popular. But I've had several managers who thought this meant that in order to be a n effective manager, they have to go out of their way to be unpopular and will impose all kinds of inane rules to achieve this.

1 hour ago, Hello Sailor said:

Dafty 1 “North Korea is the best Korea”

Agree with you on this one. Since there are only two Koreas, he should have said "North Korea is the better Korea."

4 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:
6 hours ago, Lex said:

Great article on the economist on this last week:

https://www.economist.com/business/2019/06/20/the-promotion-curse

IMG_0641.thumb.jpg.8e847255f6981130109d9ec5a183d3b7.jpg

People get promoted till they’re in a job that they are bad at, and that’s where they stop and end up. That’s why management in virtually every organisation is full of narcissistic incompetents.

This article is pretty spot on. Why anyone would want to move out of a position they are good at and enjoy into management is beyond me. To paraphrase Billy Connolly " anyone who has a great desire to be a manager should forever be banned from ever being one "

Can’t speak for anyone else, but my guess is £££.

Do people actually get training in their jobs? I've had a few supervisory roles, and I'm technically a manager now (in the loosest possible sense), but I've never, ever had any instruction in how to deal with subordinates. Not even about the legal ramifications. I've done interviews before, and expressed concern to my co-interviewers about the possibility that I might ask something illegal, and was essentially told not to worry about it, which made me think they knew nothing either.

I've had several heavy-lifting jobs too, including this one, and I've never been given any health and safety training; I've always just been told to "read the poster". I'm sure I've mentioned the job that required a weighty H&S tome to be completed after attending a training course, but I was just handed the (identical) tomes that my three predecessors had filled in and told to copy the answers.

This can't be normal, surely.

Do people actually get training in their jobs? I've had a few supervisory roles, and I'm technically a manager now (in the loosest possible sense), but I've never, ever had any instruction in how to deal with subordinates. Not even about the legal ramifications. I've done interviews before, and expressed concern to my co-interviewers about the possibility that I might ask something illegal, and was essentially told not to worry about it, which made me think they knew nothing either.
I've had several heavy-lifting jobs too, including this one, and I've never been given any health and safety training; I've always just been told to "read the poster". I'm sure I've mentioned the job that required a weighty H&S tome to be completed after attending a training course, but I was just handed the (identical) tomes that my three predecessors had filled in and told to copy the answers.
You can anonymously shop your workplace the HSE. You absolutely should. Nothing will ever get better in this country regarding workplace terms until people start doing it. Employers think they can still get away with effectively making you sign to say you have been trained and thereby absolving themselves of responsibility. They cant though. The HSE are wise to it. They need to know though.

26 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

^^^^hasn't read the poster

I always hate it when I'm asked "And what do you see yourself doing in 3/5 years' time?" because the honest answer is "Pretty much the same as I'm doing now". I have zero interest in ever going into management or project architecture and am quite happy to sit and write software code all day long with my headphones in pretending my colleagues aren't here.
That's exactly where I'm at, I'm happy on the tools. f**k going upstairs, having to go to meetings, deal with health and safety and generally having a lot of responsibility for a meagre pay rise. Lack of ambition? Maybe, but I'm fine with it.

22 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:
9 hours ago, nsr said:
I always hate it when I'm asked "And what do you see yourself doing in 3/5 years' time?" because the honest answer is "Pretty much the same as I'm doing now". I have zero interest in ever going into management or project architecture and am quite happy to sit and write software code all day long with my headphones in pretending my colleagues aren't here.

f**k going upstairs

@Granny Danger likes this.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You can anonymously shop your workplace the HSE. You absolutely should. Nothing will ever get better in this country regarding workplace terms until people start doing it. Employers think they can still get away with effectively making you sign to say you have been trained and thereby absolving themselves of responsibility. They cant though. The HSE are wise to it. They need to know though.

I know it shouldn't matter, but the main one I've referred to is a charity. A cash-rich charity, but a charity nonetheless. You end up feeling like the bad guy criticising them for anything.

10 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

^^^^hasn't read the poster

I didn't see how it was relevant TBH.

Spoiler

farrah-fawcett-red-swimsuit-1.jpg

Kept a note of things I've heard over the past few months just for this thread.

Enjoy.

Dafty 1 “North Korea is the best Korea”

South for me, Clive

Kept a note of things I've heard over the past few months just for this thread.

Enjoy.

Dafty 1 “The only thing worth collecting is firearms”

f**k yeah, ‘murica!

ETA: quoting this on the app and just getting the two bits I wanted was a lot of hard work.

First job i worked the 'induction' was getting handed a piece of A4 that was a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy that had about five sentences on it.
Health and safety. NO HORSEPLAY

I didnt work in a stables and even at 17 I knew this was yeeehaaa.

12 hours ago, Lex said:

Great article on the economist on this last week:

https://www.economist.com/business/2019/06/20/the-promotion-curse

IMG_0641.jpg

People get promoted till they’re in a job that they are bad at, and that’s where they stop and end up. That’s why management in virtually every organisation is full of narcissistic incompetents.

Aye......this is what is known as "the peter principle"

F@ck knows why. Don't know who Peter was.

But.....it is a very recognisable phenomenon that effects every organisation. From political parties, government, charities, all types of  business...to local authority, NHS and police forces.

People who are type A personality greasy pole climbers....and we all know them....are predisposed to having the ability to be promoted. However they are eventually promoted until they find their level of incompetence.

They then remain at that level as society does not, in general, demote these people as long as they do not break the law.

They are therefore free to shower shite and ridiculousness from great heights....and the said organisation is run in perpetuity at a level of incompetentence.

Once you are aware of the principle, it is easy to spot the Peters in action.😂

9 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

There was a TV sitcom about that, starring Jim Broadbent before he was famous. It also had an absolute wid who turns out to be the mum in Outnumbered.

10 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

He was the guy who researched organisations and identified the principle - Laurence J. Peter

That's exactly where I'm at, I'm happy on the tools. f**k going upstairs, having to go to meetings, deal with health and safety and generally having a lot of responsibility for a meagre pay rise. Lack of ambition? Maybe, but I'm fine with it.
Same for me. I applied for the Supervisor's job in my work a couple of times. It came up again last year and will likely be another opportunity soon, but I didn't bother last year and won't the next time. The guy who got it last year asked me why I wouldn't want it, and I told him he should have a look in the mirror as he looks about 10 years older in the 16-17 months he has had the job. Management just keep lumping more and more onto the supervisors and there's no way all the hassle and responsibility is worth an extra few quid.

But.....it is a very recognisable phenomenon that effects every organisation. From political parties, government, charities, all types of  business...to local authority, NHS and police forces.
People who are type A personality greasy pole climbers....and we all know them....are predisposed to having the ability to be promoted. However they are eventually promoted until they find their level of incompetence.
They then remain at that level as society does not, in general, demote these people as long as they do not break the law.
They are therefore free to shower shite and ridiculousness from great heights....and the said organisation is run in perpetuity at a level of incompetentence.
Once you are aware of the principle, it is easy to spot the Peters in action.[emoji23]
You can spot one a mile away if they promote a fad or talk bs.
Guys we need to scrum down and have a fish bone diagram resolution.

Have you fixed the problem or not?

I once had to give a presentation to some utter moron and his assistants on my departments stats.

He asked me if i “munch through the spreadsheet meticulously, or nibble carefully.”

I instantly labelled him a dick and stopped speaking to him.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

I once had to give a presentation to some utter moron and his assistants on my departments stats.

He asked me if i “munch through the spreadsheet meticulously, or nibble carefully.”

I instantly labelled him a dick and stopped speaking to him.

I just got an urge to hurt this man.

Back in the office today after a fair bit off site, and what a day to return.

Scenes as the the delusional woman who thinks she's "management material" and sooks up to all the bosses took a massive huff when she found out she had been overlooked for promotion. Even greater scenes as the woman she was ranting at discovered she had also been overlooked for the same job via this rant, which occurred just as she was about to go in to her meeting!

Delighted for the young lad who got the job, given he is reasonably competent and not a complete arsehole like the other 2.