Work colleagues

7 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
51 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:
Yeah that's not normal at all. Pretty sure if you went over their heads they'd be told pretty quickly they have no right to do that.

Depends how long the small talk went on for and if it was impacting on the workload. There are just as many comments about people who spend all day talking on this thread.

The examples given were asking someone what they had for lunch and if they needed a lift home which hardly suggested taking the piss.

Depends how long the small talk went on for and if it was impacting on the workload. There are just as many comments about people who spend all day talking on this thread.
Well then you as a manager correctly remind people of their obligations to their workload. You dont have any right to police the subject matter of conversation.

2 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
On 05/06/2019 at 10:17, nsr said:
I have a colleague with a collection of books on Scrum methodology proudly displayed on his desk. He has to be in his 30s at least. Surely too old to be an idealistic Scrum fanboy.

f**k is Scrum methodology?

Largely a fantasy that instead of all sitting down and designing what you want to build/develop at the beginning, you can figure it out as you go along.

4 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:17, nsr said:
I have a colleague with a collection of books on Scrum methodology proudly displayed on his desk. He has to be in his 30s at least. Surely too old to be an idealistic Scrum fanboy.

f**k is Scrum methodology?

its "Agile" get with it m9

10 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The company uses various waste disposal firms at a couple of dozen locations. One of those firms, which services one single location, provides "free" bin bags (which will be covered in the handling fee, obviously). My new boss' boss has apparently been creaming her skants over this for some time, and regularly nags the other firms for free bin bags.

I found this out when I (reluctantly, at my boss' request) asked a van driver, and was told to "tell that daft cow we're not buying her bin bags for her".

This is exactly the situation with my new boss, Bin Bag Boy. The people he worked alongside for years, and apparently got on well with, are currently mystified about what's going on. It's like he's always hated them all and is having a great time trying to make them miserable through pettiness.

The latest weirdness is that we've been warned that we'll be SUBJECT TO DISCIPLINARY MEASURES! if we fail to respond to any more emails from management. Only problem is, the company's had email problems for as long as I've been there, and nobody receives half of the messages they're supposed to. The company's unionised, by the way, so I'm tempted to stick around to watch the shitshow when somebody tries to hand out a warning for not replying to an email that they demonstrably didn't receive. Spicy.

Could be huge if these missing emails are about milk.

:lol:

Excellent!

3 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
4 minutes ago, Adam101 said:
its "Agile" get with it m9

Nut, even more lost.

its a way of working especially in I.T. basically corprate BS, I blame ITIL

12 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
14 minutes ago, nsr said:
Largely a fantasy that instead of all sitting down and designing what you want to build/develop at the beginning, you can figure it out as you go along.

I'm getting old man. Sounds about right though - winging it in other words?

Pretty much. The analogy they like to use is "so the customer asked for a bicycle, then decides they really want two unicycles? No problem, just take the bike you've built and cut it in half."

I’m sure I’ve posted this before but one problem I’ve seen in every place I’ve worked is that people don’t know how to be managers or how to manage so they end up behaving in the way that previous posters have described - petty, bullying naggers.

Often people get promoted for the wrong reasons and aren’t prioritised for management because they would be suited for it or have a particular aptitude for managing people or running teams. Do employers invest in training their staff or developing them so they can actually do their jobs? In a lot of cases no. I read an article about the productivity gap in the UK that made this point. France, for example, is far more productive than the UK and also spends more time training administrators and managers than UK firms do.

Great article on the economist on this last week:

https://www.economist.com/business/2019/06/20/the-promotion-curse

IMG_0641.jpg

People get promoted till they’re in a job that they are bad at, and that’s where they stop and end up. That’s why management in virtually every organisation is full of narcissistic incompetents.

IMG_0641.thumb.jpg.8e847255f6981130109d9ec5a183d3b7.jpg

People get promoted till they’re in a job that they are bad at, and that’s where they stop and end up. That’s why management in virtually every organisation is full of narcissistic incompetents.

When I worked for a large insurance company this was a big problem. They got rid of ‘senior’ technical roles and made it so that to reach a certain grade you had to manage people but that menat there were loads of excellent people (eningineers, coders, support technicians) whi were great at their jobs but didn’t have any way to advance. It’s nit even the money, people like getting grade promotions and credit for their work and the company basically said that that wasn’t open to them anymore.

What happened was that some people went for and got management jobs they weren’t good at, some stayed and had reduced job satisfaction and some left the company altogether. A big failure. Yeh articles point about sales people not being the best managers of sales teams is bang on as well And replicates in IT. In the job I’m talking about above we had some technicial guys who were industry leaders in the UK, they knew more than almost anyone in the world about their specific areas of expertise but I wouldn’t want them doing everyone’s appraisals and managing the team. It’s a waste of their talent.

I always hate it when I'm asked "And what do you see yourself doing in 3/5 years' time?" because the honest answer is "Pretty much the same as I'm doing now". I have zero interest in ever going into management or project architecture and am quite happy to sit and write software code all day long with my headphones in pretending my colleagues aren't here.

This article is pretty spot on. Why anyone would want to move out of a position they are good at and enjoy into management is beyond me. To paraphrase Billy Connolly " anyone who has a great desire to be a manager should forever be banned from ever being one "

5 minutes ago, Hello Sailor said:

Dafty 2 “I always buy my bog roll in a years supply at a time.”

The last few days of the year must be pretty tense

Lovely wee dig at their editor in there( or the editor added that in as a cry for help)