Work colleagues

I'm sure I remember a story about how office temperatures are set for male metabolic rates and are therefore often too cold for the average woman, explaining why you get these anomalies. 

Edited by ICTChris

It was here I must have read it

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/feb/23/truth-world-built-for-men-car-crashes

The formula to determine standard office temperature was developed in the 1960s around the metabolic resting rate of the average man. But a recent Dutch study found that the metabolic rate of young adult females performing light office work is significantly lower than the standard values for men doing the same activity. In fact, the formula may overestimate female metabolic rate by as much as 35%, meaning that current offices are on average five degrees too cold for women. This leads to the odd sight of female office workers wrapped in blankets in the summer, while their male colleagues wander around in shorts.

I hate to side with the CEO with one eye on the heating bill, but It's a damn sight easier to wrap up warm than to cool yourself down, so until I'm allowed to parade around the office in a wifebeater and underpants, higher temperatures can GTF.

On 19/07/2022 at 13:45, tamthebam said:

I wonder how many work colleagues., usually of the female persuasion, are sitting in sweltering officers saying "I'm cold" 

On Monday, the day before the country caught fire, one female complained she had to go to the toilets and warm her hands under the hand dryer as someone had opened a window. They are a completely different species.

It's funny how there's always a token freezing cold lass in an office. Although, I'm probably one of those c***s that's always roasting and raging the moment someone turns a wee heater on. This week has been hell for me. 

I wonder how many work colleagues., usually of the female persuasion, are sitting in sweltering officers saying "I'm cold" 

We've got one sitting a boiling hot office wearing a cardigan and she also has a hot water bottle on her seat to warm her back. Everybody else is in shorts and t-shirt.

2 hours ago, microdave said:

We've got one sitting a boiling hot office wearing a cardigan and she also has a hot water bottle on her seat to warm her back. Everybody else is in shorts and t-shirt.

Something that annoys me about these folk is that they'll always put on an incredibly thin cardie - enough to make a show of being cold, but not enough to actually help keep them warm.

If you're genuinely cold, get your thermals on, or people are quite justified in assuming it's attention-seeking shite.

• 2 weeks later...

Does my head in. 

Wear a fůckin jumper and stop being a boring arsehōle. 

The week it was 30degrees they were queuing up to moan about it being cold. 

The guys in the office have started wearing trainers and jeans in the office as we were the only ones previously making an effort. 

• 4 weeks later...

We just did a daft game to start a work meeting where we had to pick two M&Ms out of a bag. Each colour corresponded to a question e.g. yellow = What's your favourite book or film? One colleague refused to play because she's vegan until her non vegan pal said she would pick them out for her. Is it just me?

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

We just did a daft game to start a work meeting where we had to pick two M&Ms out of a bag. Each colour corresponded to a question e.g. yellow = What's your favourite book or film? One colleague refused to play because she's vegan until her non vegan pal said she would pick them out for her. Is it just me?

It's all of you

First sign of a thunderstorm and the usual dullards are pressing their noses against the windows ooh and aah ing at the sight of a bit rain trying to wangle an early finish.  your journey from edinburgh to fife isnt going turn into a boat ride home because you didn't get to finish an hour early.  grow up

First sign of a thunderstorm and the usual dullards are pressing their noses against the windows ooh and aah ing at the sight of a bit rain trying to wangle an early finish.  your journey from edinburgh to fife isnt going turn into a boat ride home because you didn't get to finish an hour early.  grow up

I recall my normal 30 minute drive home turned into a 3 and a half hour race against time before the last road (basically a track) was closed due to flooding.
Fortunately the boss let me away early.

Saying that, there were weather warnings.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a coffee with the Prof this morning. 

"It's almost a year since I came here," he told me. 

Not even a year...seems longer. Anyway, he spent the weekend doing some workload modelling based on his last uni. He plans to show the school management using maths how overworked he is. 

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Had a coffee with the Prof this morning. 
"It's almost a year since I came here," he told me. 
Not even a year...seems longer. Anyway, he spent the weekend doing some workload modelling based on his last uni. He plans to show the school management using maths how overworked he is. 
Spoiler

giphy.gif

This is good because it is absolutely going to work, and despite everything, you are going to be back here posting in surprise/dismay that he has successfully offloaded some graft onto you.

You know, we all know it.

34 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This is good because it is absolutely going to work, and despite everything, you are going to be back here posting in surprise/dismay that he has successfully offloaded some graft onto you.

You know, we all know it.

Plus he can now factor in his 'notoriety' as per the coverage in this thread. Capital to be made there.