Work colleagues

17 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I will always remember going for a job interview where the person sitting opposite told me that he once had to sleep at his desk next to a computer that might go beep.

If it did go beep, he had to act swiftly and resolutely and deal the situation in a competent and effective manner that would resolve the issue promptly.

I think I asked "so did it go beep?"

Didn't get the gig.

Sigh.  It almost sounds exciting.

Maaaaake your own kinda' muuuuusic...

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

That depends on the person and whether they enjoy what they do for a living. There are swathes of people out there who spend 40 years doing things they actively hate. I'm sure that last group would struggle to be genuinely productive no matter how short or long the working week was.

For the most part, I always pretty much enjoyed what I did for a living and never really considered any of it work - and that was across a few career changes as well. Was never a clock-watcher. Never boasted about my hours though. I did find that if I got near 50 hours on a regular basis that I'd completely burn out.

People working productively at jobs they hate is central to capitalism. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

People working productively at jobs they hate is central to capitalism. 

Glad to see him back laying in to the lazy bloody paupers again. It's been too long.

Everyone working shitty low-paid jobs should just quit and sign on so the people who'd love to do them can get a go.

They'd Be Better Off On Benefits Anyway (®YerDa).

57 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Why wouldn't i? Unless you think that factories full of bored paupers aren't making money for anyone? 

Only the ones with staff who live for putting spindles in boxes.

There are literally millions of people who just cannot wait to get back into work and get those spindles moving. It's what they live for.

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I am absolutely sure that you genuinely believe that.

One of the most Tory posts ever posted on here.

49 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Oh well. Cheer up. It might never happen.

You're not dragging me down into your pit of misery and despair. 😂

Life's too short.

You’ve lost the plot if you believe that people working minimum wage jobs love their work. Fantasy land stuff.

11 hours ago, BFTD said:

Not too short for bitterly raging on the internet, thankfully  :thumsup2

I don't think @oaksoftis having a rage about this.  He is pointing out that he has had a career that he has been happy with, he doesn't mind the work and gets some satisfaction from it.  Lucky him.

He has also mentioned that he has often been his own boss, which is always better than having somebody else in charge.

However there are lots of dull jobs that somebody has to do and nobody will ever have fun doing them.  Maybe that describes most jobs.

Maybe I am wrong but I suspect he is referring to the likes of D.A.F.C who spent three and a half years coming on to this forum and complaining about his job.

If you hate your job but can do something about it then why don't you?

I hated my previous job and so did everybody else that worked there.  "Same shit, different day."  Eventually most people left and they all said the same thing "why did I stay do long?"

I have been self-employed for more than twenty years.  Lucky me.  However I dread to imagine if I had stayed in that job any longer.  Truly scary.

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I don't think @oaksoftis having a rage about this.

No, that was a comment about how he regularly claims that life's too short for giving a shit about anyone else, but winds himself up into a frenzy about things that...well, don't affect him either, but usually involve worse-off people getting away with something (in his view).

It's most amusing. Well played to whoever's account this is.

You’ve lost the plot if you believe that people working minimum wage jobs love their work. Fantasy land stuff.
You're also in fantasy land if you think they all hate it. I quite like my minimum wage job. It's low stress, low effort and my colleagues and boss are decent folk.

36 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Now this could be very interesting. 

70 companies taking part in a "4 day week" trial to see if paying people 100% of their wages for working 80% of the week boosts productivity.

For some reason I can't cut and paste on the forum today but it's on the BBC website.

It's already been done in Scandinavia. In Sweden they reduced the working day to 6 hours and in Iceland they went to a 4 day week. All evidence so far points to productivity being the same or improved and employees being happier. Who'da thunk it??

It's already been done in Scandinavia. In Sweden they reduced the working day to 6 hours and in Iceland they went to a 4 day week. All evidence so far points to productivity being the same or improved and employees being happier. Who'da thunk it??
The obvious problem in this country is that we are led by people like Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees Mogg. Their attitudes filter right down through society. British workers will simply never be trusted like this on a large scale.

My last employer would say, "so you worked 8 hours and made us <x>, and now you say you can make <x> in 6 hours, so go do it and then everything you make for us in the final 2 hours will be a bonus for us". The new daily total would then become <x>.