Work colleagues

On 30/04/2022 at 23:45, Busta Nut said:

Recently started a new role in a new office and I've been working from home, been asked to go in one day a week. Nae hassle with that.

They have hired folk from London and Yorkshire though. I dunno if they asked them in...

We are one day a week in office. That's enough for now. Public sector, bit slower getting people back to the office.

2 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

We are one day a week in office. That's enough for now. Public sector, bit slower getting people back to the office.

Go and get my fkn passport sorted, eh? Maybe a wee bit more sharpish please mush. 

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61298394

Anyone prepared to take a 20% pay cut to keep working from home?

What a bunch of c***s. Why should working from home come with a pay cut? The same work is still being done. That company are bsolutely p***ks for that.

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

If i was commuting to London (and plenty do from here), the pre tax cost of a season ticket would be bigger than the pay cut they're offering.  I'd take that deal. 

But why should they? The Company is not losing anything there, just the Train Operators for the overpriced so called service they operate for the benefit of their shareholders.

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

But why should they? The Company is not losing anything there, just the Train Operators for the overpriced so called service they operate for the benefit of their shareholders.

So that they get more money overall 

What a bunch of c***s. Why should working from home come with a pay cut? The same work is still being done. That company are bsolutely p***ks for that.

See I have thought about this. I worked from home various time during covid. Back in the office now. I am all for hybrid working as it worked for my company during covid. However, we are a private company who looks to make profits so it would pretty noticeable if people were not doing the same work at home because issues would arise.

It seems to be different with public service? Huge delays in stuff. Is there an issue with all public service workers working at home?

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

See I have thought about this. I worked from home various time during covid. Back in the office now. I am all for hybrid working as it worked for my company during covid. However, we are a private company who looks to make profits so it would pretty noticeable if people were not doing the same work at home because issues would arise.

It seems to be different with public service? Huge delays in stuff. Is there an issue with all public service workers working at home?

Someone not pulling their weight at home is the same as that person not pulling their weight in an office, and would be dealt with the same way.

With public services the delays will probably be a backlog due to furlough. No idea why someone would think that people working at home instead of a fixed location would cause delays.

Someone not pulling their weight at home is the same as that person not pulling their weight in an office, and would be dealt with the same way.
With public services the delays will probably be a backlog due to furlough. No idea why someone would think that people working at home instead of a fixed location would cause delays.

Were all public servants furloughed? Don’t think that is correct. Maybe ones like museums or thay but surely most public services just continued?

3 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Were all public servants furloughed? Don’t think that is correct. Maybe ones like museums or thay but surely most public services just continued?

No idea, just guessing.

5 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I know a couple of people who work in the civil service and they've been working from home the whole way through apart from a week or two downtime while they waited for laptops to be delivered right at the start.

The problems they seem to have encountered have arisen in areas like the passport office where parts of the job are still paper-based thanks to Auntie Jean insisting on filling in a hard copy application form from the post office rather than applying online.

8 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I know a couple of people who work in the civil service and they've been working from home the whole way through apart from a week or two downtime while they waited for laptops to be delivered right at the start.

The problems they seem to have encountered have arisen in areas like the passport office where parts of the job are still paper-based thanks to Auntie Jean insisting on filling in a hard copy application form from the post office rather than applying online.

'Twould have been interesting seeing my branch of the CS working from home..*

Just to put in my anecdotal two penn'orth on the passport renewal - mine took just over a fortnight, most of which was down to having to send the old one in by snail mail, to make its physical trip through their office mail system.

It is nice though, after the whole Pandemic malarkey, to get back to the traditional Public Sector-bashing. Thank goodness I'm picking up my  gold-plated** pension in a couple of weeks. I can finally buy that island I've had my eye on.

*In seriousness, plenty of non-prisoner facing jobs were (and still are) being done remotely, with no noticeable dip in quality.

**Not actually gold-plated. Finish on the Friday, start new job on the Monday.

24 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Just to put in my anecdotal two penn'orth on the passport renewal - mine took just over a fortnight, most of which was down to having to send the old one in by snail mail, to make its physical trip through their office mail system.

It is nice though, after the whole Pandemic malarkey, to get back to the traditional Public Sector-bashing. Thank goodness I'm picking up my  gold-plated** pension in a couple of weeks. I can finally buy that island I've had my eye on.

*In seriousness, plenty of non-prisoner facing jobs were (and still are) being done remotely, with no noticeable dip in quality.

I can imagine - the ones I was talking about are just standard office workers so no real problem where they do THEIR job...good luck in the new one though :)

15 hours ago, parsforlife said:

That law firm are just at it, I suspect their run by the biggest tory da.

They are deliberately setting up a situation where they can say ‘well we offered WFH but nobody took it’

They have deduced that if they can attract people that will work from home, especially if they reside 60 miles+ north of the M25, they no longer need to be offering London salaries and can cut their wage bill accordingly. Some employers are obviously going to try and take advantage of this and I wouldn't be surprised to see 'London weighting' targeted if the employee wishes to work remotely, especially if said employee does not live in London. 

I am not sure that they will have much, if any, success with this. Current employees will be gaining 2 days at home and losing £18k (OK, £10k after tax), which probably makes them worse off even when they take travel costs into consideration. Potential employees living in Liverpool for example would probably take the reduced wage and enjoy a standard of living well beyond what the extra money in London would allow, but will almost certainly become pissed off when it transpires that it's not the remote working they signed up for and they end up in London twice a week anyway because their clients want to see them. 

Looks like a way of needlessly pissing people off tbh. 

Edited by Michael W

• 3 weeks later...

My company has three employees in our office. Just me, my boss and a woman. In March 2020, just before lockdown, my boss told us that we weren't both required in the office at the same time to try to minimise us spreading the virus. We then basically started a job share where I'd only be in every second working day. My boss would cover the absent person's work and also lopped 2.5 hours off our working day so we didn't need to travel during the rush hour. And all on full pay too. This continued until about July when some restrictions were lifted and we went back to five days a week but still on the reduced daily hours and that remained the case until the end of the year. At the beginning of last year, we went back to the job share conditions with my boss also taking a day off. E.g. this week I was off on Monday, Tuesday while the woman was in with our boss and I was in Wednesday, Thursday with him and today with her while the boss is off. That's the background.

On Wednesday, my boss told me that it's coming to an end and we're back to 9-5, Monday to Friday from 30th May. Fair enough thinks me as it was never going to last forever and we've had a very generous crack of the whip for over two years. Not so with my colleague who was in actual tears over having to work her contracted hours. Greeting about having to look up a bus timetable to find out when to get one. She's the most self entitled arsehole I think I've ever had the misfortune to meet. 

On 03/05/2022 at 10:00, WhiteRoseKillie said:

"service user", shirley?

1 hour ago, microdave said:

My company has three employees in our office. Just me, my boss and a woman. In March 2020, just before lockdown, my boss told us that we weren't both required in the office at the same time to try to minimise us spreading the virus. We then basically started a job share where I'd only be in every second working day. My boss would cover the absent person's work and also lopped 2.5 hours off our working day so we didn't need to travel during the rush hour. And all on full pay too. This continued until about July when some restrictions were lifted and we went back to five days a week but still on the reduced daily hours and that remained the case until the end of the year. At the beginning of last year, we went back to the job share conditions with my boss also taking a day off. E.g. this week I was off on Monday, Tuesday while the woman was in with our boss and I was in Wednesday, Thursday with him and today with her while the boss is off. That's the background.

On Wednesday, my boss told me that it's coming to an end and we're back to 9-5, Monday to Friday from 30th May. Fair enough thinks me as it was never going to last forever and we've had a very generous crack of the whip for over two years. Not so with my colleague who was in actual tears over having to work her contracted hours. Greeting about having to look up a bus timetable to find out when to get one. She's the most self entitled arsehole I think I've ever had the misfortune to meet. 

I think many people have become a little scarred by the last 2 years. The idea of going back to work full time is daunting for some people, even people who maybe used to do this for years without giving it a second thought. 

That post above is a great example of the self snitching I was talking about earlier in the politics section. Office patter so bad it reduces people to tears. 

1 hour ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Watching Question Time from last night and these utter gimps and ghouls that support dragging everyone into an office are so horrid. Their reasoning is like that time Toby Young wrote an article about how nobody liked him...

They keep on saying humans are social animals and we need social interaction.... Yes that is true but what they don't realise is most of us have this social interaction outside of work and don't crave it by forcing other people to be in our presence. They're actually leeches. Get some friends and allow the rest of us to be competent and content working from home without having to put up with you mind numbing work patter. 

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur